Doom 3 Screensaver

i didnt know that my vocabulary was so inspiring. commplements to you all who find the time do do this stuff. school and work take up all my time. i must say that i like to see the 1.2 screensaver it makes my laptop look all professional and stif.

sorry i forgot who made 1.2 but just so you know there are one passibly two people in hawaii (including myslef) who are using your screensaver. keep up the good work. i'll check back tomorrow at about this time. 1:04 am hawaii time. which is like 4 hours difference from cali.

kudos

yeah i found out that the shareware version of screentime for flash doesnt let you run the screensaver for more then a couple of days so sadly i have to find yet another program to make screensavers from flash files. since dirtylarry said he would be done soon im going to hold off on remaking 1.2 since his version should come soon.

im working on it now fellas :D

Quick Question. How many people would be willing to have to make your sceensaver Quit manually by pressing a button in order to have more options like changing the color of everything?

What I mean is this... I am going to get the intial 1.3 version done very soon, should be today as I said, but I believe since it is Flash I have the ability to do things such as if you press R, it will change it all to the color Red, so on and so forth, maybe have like 5 color options, which I am thinking on doing in the next version. If I do something like this though (if it is possible, have to see I know it was with the old version when I made screensavers about 2 years ago). However doing this would mean making the user have to "quit" the screen saver manually, like by pressing Space Bar lets say. Would people be into that? I dont want to force that on people thats why I am asking.

@ Tom First off Thanks for the good words (Y). That would be awesome with some walls or logon screen. Definitely. Me and you will talk really soon. I still say make a version of 1.2 that does not expire definitely too. It is going to be cool to have all different versions for the user to choose from, so if your up to it definitely do it (Y) In regards to the walls and stuff, I have a couple of ideas on stuff like that as well, us all getting together and making a package perhaps. I'm even thinking we could use a Icon and all of that good stuff. I know how to make Icons for a Mac no problem at all but not for Windows, so we might need some help. I am thinking though Sky's the limit.

Ill post a link to the swf file soon so everyone can see it, and then diverttom expect a PM shortly after that with a link to the Fla and some more ideas and questions I have. (Y)

yeah a color switching would be good but i would set it to mouse exit only and keyboard does your functions and doesnt exit the screensaver since everyone has a mouse. I wouldnt mind colaberating on a complete package either :woot:

I made a test version of the UAC flash with SwiftSave and it has a small text ad at the bottom of the screen. :wacko:

Edited by Mr. Chris

I made a test version of the UAC flash with SwiftSave and it has a small text ad at the bottom of the screen. :wacko:

yeah i think im noticing that too :cry: altho im wating till its completely built to see if its going to stay there.

yep throws up their stupid ad at the bottom of the screensaver :cry:

It was called flash saver maker and everyone hated it because it wanted net access for some reason. I didnt know till everyone spoke up since my Windows xpsp2 firewall didnt report it. It didnt seem to cause any trouble or install any spyware but for the satisfaction of others I decided against using it again. It was fairly good and didnt throw up any advertisments or anything only than nagging net issuse. If everyone decided just to block it and continue using the screensaver i woulda kept using it.

... and now back to the search for something that works.

edit: just tryed something called f2b_swf2scr which i overlooked in this thread. Problem is its installer is in german (optional installer) and it doesnt give you any settings options :no: its kinda lame but no ads (on the bright side). If theres no other option I may have to go with it.

Another thing i just realised is that it couldnt be used for dirtylarrys version since he needs it NOT to exit on keyboard activity and this program does exit on keyboard activity. :no: and this thing has no add/remove option

Edited by divertom15

UAC ScreenSaver Version 1.d3 (Round 01) is Complete!

My first take on version 1.3 of the screensaver is complete. I have not added the changing colors function in this version, so for now, it will behave like a classic screensaver.

About The Scan Lines

I recreated the Scan Lines perfectly in Flash, and I decided not to use them (at least for right now.) Even as Vector art it slows the entire file down so much it is not even funny. I did make up for the lack of the movement of the Scan Lines though in another way however. ;)

To View The Screensaver in its native (not converted to screensaver yet) .swf file >CLICK HERE<.

Please be warned that the provided link is 1.33MB, and I will only have it up for viewing until the actual ScreenSaver is created*, as I don't have the bandwidth since it is a rented server. Also this link only shows the file at 800*600, but dont worry it will be Full Screen naturally. Also keep in mind in will run faster as a Screensaver, having it linked online through a browser just makes it slower, that is the nature of Flash.

*I have passed the Master Flash file to divertom15 right before I posted this so he can convert it to an actual ScreenSaver file.

We will see what the overall reaction is to this version for a few days, so I take comments/suggestions into account when working on the next Round.

Here is a small screen of the file itself. Everyone enjoy once divertom15 makes the ScreenSaver, as I am eagerly awaiting it myself (Y)

post-78-1094513388.gif

Edited by DirtyLarry

Wow well i go to eat dinner and look what i come back to :D

1.d3 here

It looks great guys. (Y) It may run a bit slow on some configurations since there is a lot of "activity" to it. I decided (since dirtylarry wants me to keep on making the other version too.) that his would be the Full edition and Mine and mikeys would be the light edition and stay more close to the original design from the game. Im going to finish it up and to a point and devlopment will probably stop on it except for bug fixes its going to stay true to the original design so not much i can do with it. Thats not to say Hey you got to use one screensaver or the other just use what you like based on your preference :yes: , hell use both if you want. Also ending development on the lite edition will give me some time to make something to go along with the screensavers. Not sure what its going to be like but im thinking an entire suite for modding your desktop to look like something from UAC. :whistle: a lot will be conceptual design because we didnt see a lot of the computer screens (like what their desktop would be like for a wallpaper what their logon screen etc.) would look like but im sure we can come up with something nice for all of neowin.

Now back to the screensaver. for this version you will notice theres no cool installer and no add/remove functions this is because i had to cut back and find something that would work and this is all i have. I promise to look for something better in the mean time you have to manually install and manually remove it. :no: Anyone here is welcome to help me find a replacement (that doenst have ads and can build screensavers with settings to stop exiting on keyboard input (cus future versions of larrys will change color by keyboard input). Help here would be greatly appreciated. It needs to be free or if its shareware or trial software it kinda needs to be better/well known software (those of you knowing what im talking about will know why it has to be well known if its trial/shareware :shifty: )

Oh and finaly dont forget to enjoy the screensaver.

Edited by divertom15

yeah i was thinking about sound but the problem is (for me at least) i like music running on my computer almost all the time its on and if im just using the computer and not at it (as a cd player or such) the screensaver would kick in and make noise. guess it wouldnt be too much trouble to disable it since some of the screensaver programs have an option to mute the sound thru the control panel. I may get around to doing it in the lite version.

I decided (since dirtylarry wants me to keep on making the other version too.) that his would be the Full edition and Mine and mikeys would be the light edition and stay more close to the original design from the game.

Excellent Idea Tom. I think this is needed because my version definitely does deviate from the original concept, and also from how it is in the game itself. I just could not help myself, I went a little overboard :blush:. So I think that is a great idea to offer people the Full & Lite, and as you said whichever one people prefer, they can choose accordingly.

I am also going to look into perhaps purchasing ScreenSaver software. About 4 years ago when I first started using Flash I had a copy of one of the ScreenSaver apps at my job at that time, and I made ScreenSavers all of the time. This was the first one I have done since then, and now I got the fever to start making them again, so I defintely could use one anyway. I used to do alot of stuff like depending on where you left your mouse before the screen saver activated, either certain things would happen once it activated, animations would be slow or first, just more interactive, so now I got a ton of new ideas in my head.

Everyone definitely please post feedback and ideas about Version 1.d3, as I am alreadt taking notes as what has been said so far, and again Enjoy (Y)

I am just happy to be part of a thread that has over 19,100 views & counting :woot:

EDIT OT but not really at all, I could not help but wonder where Rec_Kris has been, since after all he is the originator of this post and without his wondering if it could be done, none of this would have ever happened!

Edited by DirtyLarry

that is definatly strange do you have the latest flash active x control for internet explorer? load up this page http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/downlo...=ShockwaveFlash and click install that may help. If not dont worry i plan on finding a better solution for making screensaver soon Hopefully i will have it so Larry doesnt have to purchase a program.

Oh and dont worry about going overboard with the screensaver I love it. Like I said theres not much we see of computer stuff in the game so we have to expand on whats given to us and thats what you did :D

divertom, have u ever tried any release of ur screensavers? Always there is a prob with something.

Stop posting things before testing it.

DirtyLarry, awesome work.