Photo

XPSP2 on pirated copies

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
119 replies to this topic

#46 dyck15

dyck15

Neowinian

Posted 13 August 2004 - 18:07

Its so common now. Any kid can download the latest game off kazaa (figure of speach - pirate or not you know that won't work) and give it out to their little friends. It spreads faster then wildfire.

I would have thought that it would only take one person who has tried installing SP2 on a pirated key to settle this thread, but I guess not. It seems that many have, and it works, so thats the end of that. It only makes sence. If SP2 is aimed towards security, how would it be secure to let a bunch of pirated machines sit on the internet infected with the latest MyDoom varient. Yeah, it wouldn't be. So it only makes sence that microsoft lets even the pirates install SP2. Wasn't there a new post on Neowin some time ago saying M$ was taking flak with their initial decision to NOT allow pirated keys? Logically, they decided to suck it up, take a few losses for the team and allow the pirated keys.

#47 Fade68

Fade68

Neowinian

Posted 13 August 2004 - 18:09

Actually, Dell is selling Linux desktops as well as HP recently announced that they will as well. Don't think that other major companies won't as well soon. Especially with the ease of use of SUSE and LinSpire. In Europe, governments are turning to linux based PC's for their employees, a Dell subsidiary is offering home based DeskTops with Linux on them.

I remember reading an article stating that if Linux can grab a 10% chunck of the home market, then gaming companies will be forced to start porting to Linux as well, and when that happens, I'm scrapping Windows. Although, now I'm using Mandrake 10.0, I still have to use Windows for gaming. I'm not Windows bashing, but I do believe Linux to be a far superior operating system.

#48 mcb

mcb

Neowinian

Posted 13 August 2004 - 18:09

all these stupid warez mongers on neowin. :sigh: neowin used to be such a nice place back in the day .

haha, it was always warez. its much less so now. this forum burst into popularity in the summer before XP was released, and more people were concerned with illegitimate copies (that were already out by august) than by the retail october release

also, it seems like more people on here (and other forums/internet communities) pirate so much because the demographics overlap so much. people who never use computer-topic forums overlap with the people who never pirate. (which is most people i.e. n00bz! omg! h4x! :wacko: )

#49 Feelnshady

Feelnshady

Neowinian

Posted 13 August 2004 - 18:11

To clear my concious i made a copy of a friends oem disc and just bought the oem license sticker from a site on Pricewatch.com for 45 bucks. (close enough to legal for me) :D

#50 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 13 August 2004 - 18:15

I remember reading an article stating that if Linux can grab a 10% chunck of the home market, then gaming companies will be forced to start porting to Linux as well, and when that happens, I'm scrapping Windows. Although, now I'm using Mandrake 10.0, I still have to use Windows for gaming. I'm not Windows bashing, but I do believe Linux to be a far superior operating system.

Blame the hardware manufactures for keeping Linux down. Probably 90% of the driver support issues you hear about are from the companies releasing all their info to MS (obviously), but keeping their hardware specs locked to Linux.

#51 jacob_

jacob_

Neowinian

Posted 13 August 2004 - 18:16

how is this thread still open?.. goes from sp2 pirated copies to linux talk?.. right

ne ways yes it works on those copies, and even windows update works from what im told :whistle: :whistle:

#52 kafkef

kafkef

Neowinian

Posted 13 August 2004 - 18:18

SP2 better work on pirated XP cause I will not go and buy a new one just because the master cd didn't come with my PC.
Well at least I have a legit Home Edition key, only problem is that I use Pro :huh:

#53 GR7

GR7

Neowinian

Posted 13 August 2004 - 18:21

it does work.

#54 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 13 August 2004 - 18:26

how is this thread still open?.. goes from sp2 pirated copies to linux talk?.. right

ne ways yes it works on those copies, and even windows update works from what im told :whistle: :whistle:

:p

I think if it stayed on "Does SP2 work on Pirated copies", it should be closed :rofl:

#55 Ronald_Sandoval

Ronald_Sandoval

Neowinian

Posted 13 August 2004 - 18:27

As long as you don't use a common banned key SP2 will work.

#56 todd

todd

Linux Hobbyist

Posted 13 August 2004 - 19:01

How different is that from an OS? If you crack an OS, how is MS going to get paid for a legitimate copy that you could have bought?

That's assuming you were going to buy a legit copy in the first place..

#57 QuentinButz

QuentinButz

Neowinian

Posted 13 August 2004 - 19:22

So, the majority here its saying it will work? That's good! A..er, friend was askin bout his pirate copy :shifty:

#58 Bwizzel-B

Bwizzel-B

What U talkin 'bout, Willis?

Posted 13 August 2004 - 19:27

The title shows it. What will happen?

1) Lock up your computer
2) Just dont install, but you can still use your computer

Don't be a dumba$$, go to a computer show and buy XP. It's a little overpriced at $130, but not enough to fly the pirate flag and sell your soul.

#59 Dane2003

Dane2003

Neowinian

Posted 13 August 2004 - 19:39

Agreed. XP is now only $80-$90 in most US Stores (Compared to $100)...Go buy it and suck it up, its not that expensive, especially seeing that most people use there computers daily...Your paying them to use the product they developed for you daily...perfectly fine for me, in fact, if you think about it like that, Windows XP is cheap. Pirating is the same thing as stealing from a store in my opinion. :|, Just my 2 cents.

#60 Nocstar

Nocstar

One Scary Son of a..

Posted 13 August 2004 - 19:47

Why is there still even a question to be asked , it works damnit it works!!!!!! ;) Just dont use the banned keys from sp1 and it works. Case closed

But still .... go buy a copy... :shifty: