How can I create a custom screen resolution?

I have a 17inch screen on my HP laptop and I would like to have a screen resolution that is at 1024X640. The reason I want to do this is because 1280X800 is the smallest I can make my screen and not mess up the screen because the screen resolution must be 16:10 ratio, not the standard 20:15. At 1280X800 I just have a hard time reading text. Does anyone know how I can make a custom resolution?

You can modify it in the registry on windows. On linux it is also pretty easy to change.

But if your gfx card/monitor dont support the resolution, you are going to have a hard time changing it back.

I have an Nvidia GeForce FX Go5600. Do you think it could handle a custom resolution like this? Also, where do I go in the registry? I have done a lot in the registry, so if you could point me to the location I'll give it a try.

I could, but its not just the font size, its really everything. I just would like to have a screen resolution that is more comfortable to use 8 hours a day. I love having the 17inch wide screen, but the lowest resolution is still making things so small. I tried Powerstrip, but couldn't get it to do the job.