Dell Inspiron 700m

I'm having a problem with my 700M, too ... except mine is a software problem. After formatting my gorgeous laptop (which it is, isn't it?) and installing all the drivers off dell.com - my cd-rw/dvd still refuses to work. Well, it works, but not with AudioGalaxy and not with large files. I have to move entire programs off of CDs onto my PC before I can run them. I installed aspi, but that doesn't seem to help. (Obviously I don't know what I'm doing.)

• 4 weeks later...

My 700m just got delivered last week. A very slick machine and compared to the inspiron 5150 notebook I just sold; it's like comparing a Mac truck to a ferrari.

Here's a little trick I figured out.

go to a coupon website like techbargains.com and look for their listed dell coupons. I was able to get a $2000+ system for approx. 1250 with a $750 off coupon. These specials run all the time from what I can tell?

All in all I have to say I'm very pleased with my purchase, the screen is a little hard on the eyes from oblique angles, but then again I don't really need anyone looking over my shoulder while I'm working away on it at school. Definetiley opt for the 8-cell battery, the extra 100 or so dollars is worth every penny; in fact I think it should have been included as standard equipment.

Ah tough decisions, im looking at a new laptop cant deciede between an upgraded Inspiron6000 or this, I just dunno 12" screen, I like the weight and portability, but sorry 12.1" I just dunno.

Took a week to get use to the 12.1 but now i am fine.

my 700m is awesome. 755m with a gig of mem. 8xdvd-rw :woot:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
lap8nn.png

Just bought yesterday. Obsurd shipping time, but whatever.

586094988[/snapback]

theres a $750 off coupon coming up tomorrow

www.dealsofamerica.com

cancel and reorder for $1000!

Wow that thing looks pretty darn good, especialy for a dell. I must say im quite impressed. And from the specs and what people said its a good running machine. Really nice stuff guys!

I've had my 700m for a bit over 4 months, and can say its a great little laptop. There is one thing that annoys me about it since the day I recieved it though; does any one else's onboard sound have a strange high-pitched buzzing noice on the headphone line out? Its quite annoying when I'm at uni trying to listen to mp3s with headphones when its continously buzzing in my ears. Obviously the problem is nonexistant when I plug in my Audigy2 ZS usb, but I cant really bring that around at school...

I actually saw it in person for the first time at my friend's girlfriend's house, and that thing is small and sexy. The screen is a little too small for me though.

Just a question for all Dell 700m users you know when your laptop is on the AC power and the screen is ultra bright but the second u take it off it goes dull, how do i get it to be the ultra bright all the time while its on battery operation ?

Thanks

Michael

Just a question for all Dell 700m users you know when your laptop is on the AC power and the screen is ultra bright but the second u take it off it goes dull, how do i get it to be the ultra bright all the time while its on battery operation ?

Thanks

Michael

586132847[/snapback]

Hold down the Fn key and press the up arrow. This will adjust the screen brightness. Obviously your battery will not last as long when the screen is at its brightest.

cool thanks for that man do you recommend any updates besides the windows ones and any other short cuts items of ways to make its operate better or anything mines running like a dream

thanks again

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great! Hey, is there a laptop similar to this one in size with a better graphics card? Im looking for a laptop with a Pentium M at at around 1.7Ghz, with 1Gb of RAM, and decent graphics (like an X600 or something?). However, I'd like it to be tiny like this one :happy: Anyone know something like that?

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered a 700m earlier this evening, I received a 40% off discount from Dell through their catalog coupon 'contest'. So I get an almost top of the line 700m for about $1500. Not too shabby, in my book.

It should be here by Tuesday or Wednesday, and I am excited to try it out. Preliminary specs:

2.0 GHz

1 GB RAM (1 DIMM, not too interested in bothering with the non-serviceable slot)

80 GB hard drive (wish it came with a 7200 rpm, but whatever)

Extended battery (per suggestions by many, many reviews)

8x DVD Dual Layer burner

I think those are the important ones. Anxious to see this thing in person, the pictures sure look good, though!

-Jared

I have had a 700m for almost a year now and I love it. I got a $750 off coupon a long time ago. It is awesome. Amazing screen, and awesome battery life. I got the extended battery and generally get at least 5-6 hours minimum depending on what I am doing. It looks great and I always get compliments on how awesome it is. I would recommend this to everyone

Just ordered a 700m earlier this evening, I received a 40% off discount from Dell through their catalog coupon 'contest'. So I get an almost top of the line 700m for about $1500. Not too shabby, in my book.

It should be here by Tuesday or Wednesday, and I am excited to try it out. Preliminary specs:

2.0 GHz

1 GB RAM (1 DIMM, not too interested in bothering with the non-serviceable slot)

80 GB hard drive (wish it came with a 7200 rpm, but whatever)

Extended battery (per suggestions by many, many reviews)

8x DVD Dual Layer burner

I think those are the important ones. Anxious to see this thing in person, the pictures sure look good, though!

-Jared

586262026[/snapback]

Can you gimme some details on how you got the 40% off? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Damn I need an ultraportable laptop for my theses studies next year, and I was sold on this one but damn it why couldnt it have a dedicated video card, why lord oh why.

Like thats the drawback about my old laptop, its a P4 3.0ghz and its got shared video, like I brought it at thw wrong time and for the wrong reasons anyway, but I learnt that despite the fact that I dont need to play games on it, as I have a desktop, it would be good to have the option and this laptop could do it if it had the video card.

I think im gonna have to start a thread and see what other ultraportables are out there for a descent price as wlel.

Damn I need an ultraportable laptop for my theses studies next year, and I was sold on this one but damn it why couldnt it have a dedicated video card,  why lord oh why.

Like thats the drawback about my old laptop, its a P4 3.0ghz and its got shared video, like I brought it at thw wrong time and for the wrong reasons anyway, but I learnt that despite the fact that I dont need to play games on it, as I have a desktop, it would be good to have the option and this laptop could do it if it had the video card.

I think im gonna have to start a thread and see what other ultraportables are out there for a descent price as wlel.

586353540[/snapback]

The IGP shared keeps it light :/ Don't worry, it'll work with Vista....you just won't have the glass effects.

well after searching a couple of sites i've again came to the conclusion that theres no such thing as an affordable ultraportable.

oh well maybe by November/Dec when im looking to buy it, Dell might have a new ultraportable line, or actually some descent coupon deals here in Aus, theyve been crap for the last month.