Dell Inspiron 700m

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#46 Weasel

Weasel

Almost Smart

• 960 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 07:46

And it's funny that I just learned there's a scroll wheel on the touchpad that really isn't there when you just move your finger up or down, on the right hand side. I think I remember someone on another site reviewing the laptop saying they were disappointed that it wasn't there... when it's secretly there.

View Post

That's all done via software. You can actually control the size and speed of the "secret scrolling area" in your synaptics touchpad options in the control panel.

#47 vetaltezza

altezza

Happy as I can be

• 12,963 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 11:00

Awesome laptop! (Y)

#48 zigaroo

zigaroo

Neowinian

• 475 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 14:54

That's all done via software.  You can actually control the size and speed of the "secret scrolling area" in your synaptics touchpad options in the control panel.

View Post

Awesome. There's even Horizontal scrolling... laptops continue to amaze me.

Oh and I got the 1.6 ghz, 512mb ram, 40 gb hdd, with extended battery.

#49 mrogers

mrogers

Web Designer/Developer

• 1,117 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 15:07

I bought it today, won't get it till the end of the month though cus my brother's going on vacation till the 28th and it was shipped to his address. I was worried about the reflective screen and the video card - but I did get a 2.0Ghz processor which some people say make a huge difference. I got minimum ram, 256mb, bought 2gb of ram from newegg.com which I'll put in myself. (It was an addition $1000++ on dell.com). I also got both the 4-cell as well as the 8-cell, figuring I wouldn't want to lug around such a heavy laptop to work every day or when I'm travelling.. (and I hear the 8-cell sticks out quite a bit in the back, so..)

Hope it's performance is as beautiful as it looks ... (and Sims 2'll play well on it)

View Post

:blink: Wow, you certainly sunk a lot into that notebook. I can't believe you spent almost as much on RAM as I did on my whole laptop! And you said you wouldn't want to "lug around" the laptop with the 8-cell battery...it's 4.1 lbs with the 4-cell, and only 4.6 lbs with the 8-cell. That's still lighter than my current 600m at 5 lbs, which is already one of the lighter full-feature notebooks on the market. By no stretch of the imagination is 4.6 lbs a "heavy laptop." But to each his own. You'll be able to do some mad Photoshop on that thing with so much memory!

Edit: One additional thing which may be a problem for you: iirc, the 700m maxes out at 2GB RAM. Which means you'll have to remove the 256MB stick, which means disassembling half of the laptop (the factory-installed RAM slot isn't considered serviceable). But there's documentation on Dell's site that can tell you how to get to it: http://support.dell....0m/en/index.htm

#50 Valerus

Valerus

thewilltodd.com

• 4,750 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 04:56

Wow, nice laptop.

#51 IK47

IK47

Neowinian Senior

• 3,733 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 05:20

my parents might be buying one.

#52 mrogers

mrogers

Web Designer/Developer

• 1,117 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 17:16

I finally got mine and it's great! I think most of my sentiments echo the original reviewer's. As everyone has said, the screen is awesome; beautiful picture, no dead pixels, no light leakage. And damn is this thing small! So easy to carry around. Very sturdy, high quality feel, more so than any other Dell laptop I have owned. Absolutely NO keyboard flex. FAST: Windows XP Pro installed in--are you ready for this?--11 minutes flat. Wireless reception seems strong. I haven't tested the extended battery fully, but I've been surfing with the screen on full brightness and continuously downloading files over WiFi for over an hour, and I still have 75% remaining.

All in all, a great, solid piece of equipment. Highly recommended if you're looking for portability and performance.

#53 OP NetRyder

NetRyder

Tech Junkie

• 1,491 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 20:03

I finally got mine and it's great! I think most of my sentiments echo the original reviewer's.

Good to know. ;)

As everyone has said, the screen is awesome; beautiful picture, no dead pixels, no light leakage. And damn is this thing small! So easy to carry around. Very sturdy, high quality feel, more so than any other Dell laptop I have owned. Absolutely NO keyboard flex. FAST: Windows XP Pro installed in--are you ready for this?--11 minutes flat. Wireless reception seems strong. I haven't tested the extended battery fully, but I've been surfing with the screen on full brightness and continuously downloading files over WiFi for over an hour, and I still have 75% remaining.

All in all, a great, solid piece of equipment. Highly recommended if you're looking for portability and performance.

View Post

Awesome. Enjoy your shiny new machine. :D

#54 BGraceTFaith

BGraceTFaith

Neowinian

• 169 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 20:23

This is gonna sound kinda dumb...

I've got a 8600 with the 1st gen Pentium M 1.7 processors (1mb L2)
Whats the comparison between the two?
I checked out the GamePC link that someone threw up there and it shows the 1.7 "Dothan" coming in at 116.2 FPS for Doom 3
How would that be adjusted for the 1.7 with only 1mb L2 cache instead of 2?

I know I'm asking a dumb question since I already own it, but I wanna know how much of a cut in performance I'm taking with the 1st gen Pent M processor.

Edit-
I also realize those systems were built on a PC and not a laptop. Still, the difference in numbers would give me an idea.

#55 mrogers

mrogers

Web Designer/Developer

• 1,117 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 03:57

I read an article on Tom's Hardware where they tested a new Dothan against a 1.7 GHz Banias in a number of benchmarks. In their conclusion, they stated that overall, the Dothan is 5% fast clock for clock than the Banias. But in some cases it didn't provide any advantage, and in some cases it did. It did not stand out above the Banias in most games--mostly because in laptops especially, game performance is still limited more by the graphics chip than the processor.

#56 YBG

YBG

Neowinian Senior

• 5,414 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 02:32

Man I'm hoping to get one of these in the near future (August maybe?)

#57 multimediatechy

multimediatechy

Neowinian

• 811 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 21:06

wonder when this model will be available in the UK?

#58 edcosta

edcosta

Resident One Post Wonder

• 1 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 16:06

i ran into some problems with the a01 bios release.  computer would randomly freeze and when i went to look for the older bios, dell had removed it from their ftp.  luckily a kind soul emailed me the older a00 bios and all is well again.  if anybody needs the older bios pm me.

View Post

Please, could you email me the A00 BIOS?

I upgraded my DELL 700m to BIOS A01 and now it runs very hot.

DELL cannot provide me the old BIOS :-(

I would really appreciate you emailing the A00 BIOS to me. Thanks.

edcosta

#59 IK47

IK47

Neowinian Senior

• 3,733 posts

Posted 28 December 2004 - 00:49

all monitors should have those shiny screens. so cool!.

#60 mercuryx013

mercuryx013

I'm just a face in the crowd

• 1,725 posts

Posted 28 December 2004 - 01:01

That's all done via software.  You can actually control the size and speed of the "secret scrolling area" in your synaptics touchpad options in the control panel.

View Post

Nevermind. I found it. I had to unhook my USB mouse first.

Edited by mercuryx013, 28 December 2004 - 01:14.