database driven webpages

Question

21 answers to this question

ASP - Microsoft's Server-Side Baby, widly used for ecommerce and anyone on windows servers, remember, ASP ports to *nix have resulted in loss of stability, so if you use asp, stick to a Windows server.

PHP - My personal favourite, this very site is built upon it, PHP is free, runs on many platforms, and is constantly in development. Tie it together with MySQL, and you've got the perfect pair for a content-management-system.

Originally posted by ac3

ASP - Microsoft's Server-Side Baby, widly used for ecommerce and anyone on windows servers, remember, ASP ports to *nix have resulted in loss of stability, so if you use asp, stick to a Windows server.

PHP - My personal favourite, this very site is built upon it, PHP is free, runs on many platforms, and is constantly in development. Tie it together with MySQL, and you've got the perfect pair for a content-management-system.

W0rd

cgi refers to Common Gateway Interface, so there are lots

of languages(TCL,PHP,PERL,C++) that can be used as cgi.

I bet you are refering to PERL, which is the other popular interpreter.

PHP is easier than PERL, but PERL has been around for a while now,

so there are lots of libraries available for it. When

I learnt server side programming, I learned PERL first, and it

was a pain in the a**, but then when I picked up PHP, it was

a lot easier.

I would try PHP first.

i want to start developing with php. i downloaded php, apache and mysql. I want to install and configure php on win2k. plz someone guide me in configuring php:)

thanks in advance

Originally posted by wog boy

maybe you should read the README included with php.. has all you need there

i have downloaded the manual and done what they said in the maual but it wont work:( . apache is running but php aint

Originally posted by PM5K

Actually if you downloaded the installers it's actually a no-brainer, I've done it before and it really couldn't have been easier.

the installer generated an error at the end saying that u must manually configure httpd.conf

You really need to be more patient, otherwise you will turn off people from helping you.

If I recall correctly there is a readme for php and it does tell you how to configure httpd.conf if it isn't done automatically, so look for the read me in the install directory.

PHPTriad is PHPGeek.com's flagship product. It installs a PHP web server environment on Windows platforms. It includes Apache, PHP, MySQL, Perl and PHPMyAdmin. It is intended to make lives easier for PHP developers of all levels. Additional resources related to PHP and open source software on the 32 bit Windows platforms are available. Download PHPTriad and other PHPGeek software in our Downloads section.

http://www.phpgeek.com