Newbie C++ Help

Question

Ok, I got inspired today to learn a programing language. I want to learn C++ but I am sitting here with no clue on earth on where to start. Can anyone give me links to newbie tutorials and sites? If you can, please state any tips that you have for me, thanks!

• Like 2

1. Start off with C. It's far simpler, and C++ inherits most of it, therefore, the knowledge is transferable.

2. Don't use an IDE, at least not to begin with. They just get in the way of understanding how to program, compile and debug. A simple text editor (CLI or GUI) is all that is needed to edit the code. I like Vim personally. Although Emacs is pretty good too.

3. Use a standards compliant FOSS compiler and make system. That way, you won't be locked-in to any one platform. I recommend GCC and the auto tools. It's called MinGW (Minimalist GNU for Windows) on Windows.

It's even possible to write C code targeting GNU/Linux that runs without modification on Windows by using Cygwin, which also happens to give you a Linux-like development environment.

However, if you're adamant about using C++, definitely look into Boost (C++ library), it's the defacto standard for C++ development, and fills in many of the gaps in the STL.

http://gcc.gnu.org/

Hey guy's I have read through the responses and like the advice. I was just getting ready to post a question asking if there was such a program out there that taught you C++ kinda like the old Mavis Beacon software.

Can you guys recommend a decent IDE + compiler all in one? cause i have been using Dev C++ and it ****s at IDE standards.. some people told me to use Notepad++ which again is a good IDE but i then need to add the code to DevC again! i tried borland and the other one which is turbo c++ which pretty much suck to.

I like the IDE from the Notepad++

anyway also are there any IDE's/compilers who like automatically complete/format a command when we start typing? that would be really great and save alot of time i believe..

like for eg: when i start with a for loop and i type in for it automatically enters for() { } and then i can maybe enter the source code myself?

thanks.

Personally I use Notepad++ as my editor and g++ (MinGW) as my compiler (via makefiles) when programming for Windows in C++. As a beginner, that is probably a bit complicated for you and I don't recommend you try it until you get more experience.

Visual Studio Express is a popular choice if you are using Windows (which I assume is the case based on your mention of Notepad++). Although its C++11 support is as-of-yet somewhat incomplete, it is a good IDE with an excellent debugger.

Although I have not used it, from what I have heard Code::Blocks is also an excellent IDE with a solid C++ compiler and a good debugger.

I use VS Express. Its much better now as well now that its one install for everything instead of before when you had to install C# express, C++ express, VB Express etc..

I grabbed VS 2012 Express today and it was one setup one install.

Thanks for the suggestions, i'll try out the visual studio by microsoft.. should i be getting the 2012 edition or the older versions are just easier to operate or something?

Now that Microsoft has released a version of Visual Studio 2012 Express that can develop desktop applications, I definitely recommend that you download that one. Use the link that I provided a couple of posts back to go to the product information page, or use this link to download the ISO directly.

hi i just want to know what is the reason for this code note work:

#include <iostream.h>

int main()

{

int table [500,5];

for(int i=0;i<500;i++)

for(int j=0;j<5;j++)

table [i,0]=i;

cout<<table;

return 0;

}

Ok, I got inspired today to learn a programing language. I want to learn C++ but I am sitting here with no clue on earth on where to start. Can anyone give me links to newbie tutorials and sites? If you can, please state any tips that you have for me, thanks!

http://www.newboston.org has tons of quality programming video tutorials, video tutorials make U learn faster, But U have to have a reference manual, a book.
[/CODE]