[Review] Logitech z-5500

How do these speakers compare to the Klipsch Pro Audio 5.1? Those are the one's I own. I'm looking to pick up a new set of speakers and this review kinda made me want them!

[Edit] Nevermind, just read the Guru3d review! Those are pretty nice speakers![/Edit]

Another thing.  I have a SB Audigy (1) Gamer, would I need a new card?

584724558[/snapback]

Get at least the SB Audigy 2 ZS for the best performance out of these speakers.

Another thing.  I have a SB Audigy (1) Gamer, would I need a new card?

584724558[/snapback]

You don't since the Audigy supports 24-Bit and EAX, plus teh control center does all the encoding anyways. But it wouldn't hurt to get an Audigy 2 ZS.

ZS Platinum -> Optical Out

Get an AR (Accoustic Research) TOS-link cable (cheaper cable, just as good).

I use that for my Z-680s and it sounds great.

584724636[/snapback]

The Digital out with a good Monster Canle Minijack/RCA Y Splitter will do the job just as good. You will get no performance gain of speakers of this type.

ZS Platinum -> Optical Out

Get an AR (Accoustic Research) TOS-link cable (cheaper cable, just as good).

I use that for my Z-680s and it sounds great.

584724636[/snapback]

What's the difference over the plain ZS? I don't really have a need for the break out box that comes with the platinums.

What's the difference over the plain ZS?  I don't really have a need for the break out box that comes with the platinums.

584724651[/snapback]

The Platinum ahs a front deck that has MIDI, SPDIF, and optical in and outs. ANd comes witha remote. The remote stinks too. Creative is to high on there self and the make the remote work really stupidly. Like I said, jsut get the ZS and you should be happening.

The Platinum ahs a front deck that has MIDI, SPDIF, and optical in and outs.  ANd comes witha  remote.  The remote stinks too.  Creative is to high on there self and the make the remote work really stupidly.  Like I said, jsut get the ZS and you should be happening.

584724657[/snapback]

I think I will. I found one for like $92 USD.

The Digital out with a good Monster Canle Minijack/RCA Y Splitter will do the job just as good.  You will get no performance gain of speakers of this type.

584724642[/snapback]

Using a Y splitter cuts down on your signal strength. Connecting two cable cuts down on the signal strenght. Optical is the best source available, end of story.

Mav Pheonix - The front panel is useful. You can connect your headphones do it, your speakers, auxillary in (l + r), firewire, etc. The remote isn't that great since its primary use is for MediaSource, but its nice when we're watching a movie from my computer and I can control the PC volume from afar.

I got my ZS Platinum @ $170 - $70MIR = $100 . Just keep your eyes open (slickdealz.net)

Using a Y splitter cuts down on your signal strength. Connecting two cable cuts down on the signal strenght. Optical is the best source available, end of story.

Mav Pheonix - The front panel is useful. You can connect your headphones do it, your speakers,  auxillary in (l + r), firewire, etc. The remote isn't that great since its primary use is for MediaSource, but its nice when we're watching a movie from my computer and I can control the PC volume from afar.

I got my ZS Platinum @ $170 - $70MIR = $100 . Just keep your eyes open (slickdealz.net)

584726279[/snapback]

The headphone jack doesn't work with digital out on... And I said before, using a Y splitter won't take down the quality with these types of speakers. They aren't good enough for that. Don't get me wrong they're good but they arn't some super high end speakers. If they were than yea, sure optical is the way to got but for these, I don't think so.

To be honest, I really don't know a lot about speakers (their connections anyway). I've always just used whatever default cables were included and the only semi-high end speakers I own are from 2000 (Altec Lansing ADA885 - 4.1, Dolby Digital/Prologic/THX), but I'm looking to upgrade to a 5.1 setup but don't really know which direction to take. These Logitechs look great, I was very impressed with the 680s when I heard them in store, which made me start to consider them as the next company to look at. However the ProMedia 5.1 Ultra seems to be pretty nice as well, can anyone give me anymore insight? Sorry if this is hijacking a little bit, but it is in relation to these speakers.

I use optical out on my Audigy 2 NX to my Z-680s and it sounds awesome! The only problem is that you can't just use 6 ch direct with optical out. That part sucks, cause a lot of times, I want my soundcard to do the encoding instead of the Logitech's. Otherwise, I love the 680s. I really am a fan of the standard speaker cables. I'm not too excited about seeing RCAs for the 5500s. I was, before I saw the connections they used.

I use optical out on my Audigy 2 NX to my Z-680s and it sounds awesome!  The only problem is that you can't just use 6 ch direct with optical out.  That part sucks, cause a lot of times, I want my soundcard to do the encoding instead of the Logitech's.  Otherwise, I love the 680s.  I really am a fan of the standard speaker cables.  I'm not too excited about seeing RCAs for the 5500s.  I was, before I saw the connections they used.

584727745[/snapback]

Is RCA really that bad?

No, but I mean.. if I wanted to attach speakers later on in place of the satellites, like... regular consumer ones, they won't use RCA. RCA is awesome, actually... so many different things use them, such as in/output audio on TVs/DVD players, etc. etc. But I'm just talking about upgrading. I can't really say anything about signal strength and quality, because I know that it may not be as good as optical, but I doubt I would really notice anyways.

No, but I mean.. if I wanted to attach speakers later on in place of the satellites, like... regular consumer ones, they won't use RCA.  RCA is awesome, actually... so many different things use them, such as in/output audio on TVs/DVD players, etc. etc.  But I'm just talking about upgrading.  I can't really say anything about signal strength and quality, because I know that it may not be as good as optical, but I doubt I would really notice anyways.

584727968[/snapback]

Gotcha.

Can I ask something...

1. Why are people so against these speakers?

2. Why are you all so hung up over the RCA thing? RCA is basically Coax, better then Anlogue (Yeh, you cant have them 50ft apart).

3. Stop using old niggles with the 680's to bring these down.

Its really annoys me to the back of my teeth how you are all knocking them without even HEARING them.

You need to think about FACT, not personal opinions.

Is RCA really that bad?

584727893[/snapback]

The Y splitter isn't the best solution but if you get a good quality one such as a monster cable (around 20$ CAD) then it will do just fine.

That's awesome about the subwoofer. I dunno if I could get mine pumping that much. I've got my HiFi wired to the computer and it's okay. I can sometimes get the whole house to shake with breakbeat.