Xbox or not?

Don't know why some people hate Halo, I played it today (in a store), found it great.

And I don't think PlayStation 2 could receive a lower price.

Then 2 games will cost more then the game station it self :D

ah yes, and I had some other questions :p

-> how does Xbox multiplayer actually works? Through phone line? or can I connect my PC Cable Broadband on this box?

-> Can I play DVD movies, without buying an expansion pack?

Wait till you see the last section of the last level in Halo, f*cking nuts!! :D

-> how does Xbox multiplayer actually works? Through phone line? or can I connect my PC Cable Broadband on this box?

You get some sort of terminal app which you stick on your PC, link the Xbox up over ethernet and use the PC as a gateway to the net. Looking forward to trying this but I dunno where to get the app and havent looked into it. Anyone know?

Ive heard of people cracking open the Xbox, overclocking it etc, but I havent heard of anyone cracking the DVD player yet. The expansion pack is simply a USB connector with a little infra-red receiver on the end and a remote control. Its another MS ripoff I think. I mean the entire device is there and ready to go, but they charge you ?25+ for the pleasure of using it!! Grrr!

Well currently the only way to get the Xbox online is by connecting it to hub connected to your pc and your modem, and also using the gamespy software. But after the Xbox online service comes into play all you have to do is plug the network cable that comes from your modem into your Xbox and you are off. Here is a description of how you can get your Xbox online now:

http://www.gamespyarcade.com/support/tunnel_xbox.shtml

I don't believe there is a way around this, you will have to pay ?25 to Microsoft for the expansion pack :right: . But with so many advantages with this console this is a minor disadvantage.

I love all you people talking about the "power" of the xbox and that crap. Here's a hint:

IT DOESN'T FU CKING MATTER

If the games suck, no one's going to play no matter if it's got a liquid cool geforce204980583745098375 with a billion billion billion petabytes of ram or something like that.

ps2 wins simply based on the quality of games on it, and THAT should be the bottom line. That also makes gamecube a win because it's cheap and has the games to play.

halo is a good game for xbox, but it's not the reason to drop 300 on a crappy system. ssx trixky is for any other system. doa3 is such an overrated load of crap it's rediculous (and there's vf4 now anyways, so suck it :p :D )

why would anyone WASTE they're money on this sustem...

Timdoor is right.

Lots of people have said they want a console because it has better games.

PCs are generally more powerful than a console now, but they dont have better games.

But you argue more powerful = better?

Humm flawed logic.

Check the N64. On paper it was fast as hell, it had a few classics (goldeneye etc), but never really attracted the developers, and wasn't a huge success.

I think xbox games will be nothing but cut down versions of their pc counterparts in a few months time, and the fact that you have to pay extra to watch dvds takes the p*ss!

Originally posted by Jon  

Timdoor is right.

Lots of people have said they want a console because it has better games.

PCs are generally more powerful than a console now, but they dont have better games.

But you argue more powerful = better?

Yeah PC is stronger , but games developers look at the computer as a working tool and not gaming.

Originally posted by Jon  

I think xbox games will be nothing but cut down versions of their pc counterparts in a few months time, and the fact that you have to pay extra to watch dvds takes the p*ss!

In theorie you are right, BUT, I don't think that the PC version will ever be released, so the console versions is all you shall have.

I love my PC and no console will ever replace it (not this year anyway).

But I'd still recommend it if you've got the money. Personally, I don't get turned on by Mario (& Co) that much, and Im not blown away with my PS2 (although I love GTA2). I am excited with the prospects of what developers will be able to do with the Xbox games (online capabilities, HDD etc) and think MS will throw some serious money at it to establish themselves in this growing market.

There are so many biased people on this board it is quite funny :D :D

ps2 wins simply based on the quality of games on it, and THAT should be the bottom line. That also makes gamecube a win because it's cheap and has the games to play.

Quality of games, i have a ps2 and the games i play the most are GTA2,GT3 and MGS2 and that is probably one of the only reasons i am keeping my ps2 (also for the Final Fantasy series). I think the statement "PS2 wins", is a bit strong the console wars haven't ended yet it is an ongoing race. The ps2 is leading the market as it has established itself, and has a decent games base and the console only costs ?200 ( I payed ?300 on launch, if only i had waite:ermm:m:). But the fact that you have to buy the hard drive and modem for an extra ?200 (guess), really put me off i was hoping it would cost something like ?50, if it wasn't for this factor i would have said PS2 will win the war, but because of the cost for the console+hardrive+modem is quite high i believe the Xbox might just pull it off and win as it comes with Modem capability(some games you can already play online) and hard drive all for ?200. If you like to spend only ?200 and don't mind a large black box on top of your VCR, then get the Xbox i recommend it!.

Dont confuse bias with having an opinion ;)

Also, you seem to talk about the harddrive+modem a lot.

Remember that some people wont care about internet play, infact I'm guessing most wont, and most kids parents wont let them.

Harddrive really doesnt bother me, I'm normally p*ssed when i'm playing consoles, so saving times make no real difference, and i suspect a large number of people would say the same.

In my mind, it does come down to the games avaliable.

But then goldeneye didnt really make the n64 the best console ever.

Unless the xbox consistantly attracts big name game developers, and well known franchises etc, I think it'll struggle.

And at ?130, the gamecube is VERY tempting, especially if any decent games support my gba's.

Originally posted by Jon  

Also, you seem to talk about the harddrive+modem a lot.

Remember that some people wont care about internet play, infact I'm guessing most wont, and most kids parents wont let them.

multiplayer rules! :p

Multiplayer will be one of the most import reason in the console war.

Multi-Player is the next giant leap in console gaming. If it wasn't for the internet playability that the Xbox has, i wouldn't have bought it. I would have stuck with my PS2.

With out a keyboard as standard for chatting, first person shooters (which NEED a kb and mouse, or you'll suck online), it just wont cut it.

It needs more thought than just slapping an ethernet card in the console.

i agree with you, multiplayer is the only way a console can evolve, but I also firmly believe they have no chance in HELL of competing with a PC.

OMG. I just realised your about 8 yrs younger than me.

/me watches any kind of informed, realistic reply fly out of the window...

I own a Gamecube and I'm extremely happy with it! I've rented an Xbox and a friend has a PS2, so I've played both of those as well. All 3 have excellent graphics and games.

Why did I go Gamecube? You get the same graphic quality for much cheaper and the games are great!

please don't hand me the "but this one is more powerful" line ... any developer who programs the game excellent and pushes ANY system to the max will look and play awesome.

multiplayer eh??

I was in game 2 day

?20 for a 5 meter x-over cable

?50 for a 10mb 5 port Hub

lmao

thats the good thing about the xbox pc hardware = do yer own ****

=

a few pence for a 20 meter cable, some rj45 jacks, and a 16 port 10mb hub 4 ?16 at scan

XBOX RULEZ

Spyder I am really tempted to get a GC when they come out here, ?130 is an amazing price, and I'd love to see my gba being used as a snazzy controller.

Do the gfx still have that n64 cartoonish pastle sorta look about them?

I loved my n64 though, so probably wouldnt bother me!

Originally posted by Jon  

Do the gfx still have that n64 cartoonish pastle sorta look about them?

I loved my n64 though, so probably wouldnt bother me!

No, not at all. I mean, theres some games that aim for that look so yes, they look that way, but most other games? nope, not in the least. :)

Thanks, I've been dying to ask a GC owner that :)

Do any games actually utilise the GBA as a controller well? To the point of using its screen I mean. I'm guessing we wont see that for a while though.

um...thats a good question. I dont know much about that to be honest. I do know I own the first game that utilizes the GC to GBA link: Sonic Adventure 2: Battle

You need the Sonic game for GBA too though...and it transfers the mini-game data from the GC game to the GBA so you can play it on the road..

as for using it as a controller? i dunno...

You guys are totally lame.

First of Nintendo has admited that their target audience is 10-18 year olds, which Xbox and PS2 are obviously for aimed at adults.

Ninetendo has lost their market share - They used to be the greatest console in the industry - but now all they do is remake Mario Bros over and over again with different titles and different characters, but there is no originality.

PS2 is a decent system. No arguements. But I think that the subtle differences between the PS2 and Xbox will be the key:

Online Play - Anyone who says online play isn't a big deal is retarted - Why is Quake (and UT, CS, etc) the most popular games - ONLINE PLAY

Hard Drive - If you haven't used an Xbox you won't know the difference.

Remote Controller for the DVD player - You may think this is lame, but having a remote makes it the Xbox a reality as your only DVD player.

Bigger controllers - Okay, that is a personal perference.

Easy of Development - That is a much bigger deal than it was 10 years ago.

And yes, POWER - Take a look at RaliSport and tell me you aren't impressed with the graphics power.

The bottom line is today is unimportant. If I had to buy based on today I would buy a PS2 because of the amount of games on the market, but I don't intend on buying another game console for the next 3-5 years and trust me: In 18 months, a PS2 is going to be painfully old and the Xbox will be in its prime with full online gaming and a title's list 3x as long and as great as PS2's is today.....IMHO

With out a keyboard as standard for chatting, first person shooters (which NEED a kb and mouse, or you'll suck online), it just wont cut it.
Because of this fact Microsoft are bringing out a headset which will allow you to chat to other people while you are playing online, i am sure most people will agree speaking while you are online is better than typing it out.
You need the Sonic game for GBA too though...and it transfers the mini-game data from the GC game to the GBA so you can play it on the road..  

as for using it as a controller? i dunno...

Well you can use the GBA as a controller when it is connected to a gamecube, i saw it in a EB promotional video.

OMG. I just realised your about 8 yrs younger than me.  

/me watches any kind of informed, realistic reply fly out of the window...

Hey just because i am younger than you does not mean that what i say isn't true!.:mad: :mad:

Originally posted by robinmthomas  

First of Nintendo has admited that their target audience is 10-18 year olds, which Xbox and PS2 are obviously for aimed at adults.

Not really, Nintendo is also aiming for adults, that's why they made Resident Evil remake.

btw: Jon, velocity3k is right. It doesn't mather how old you are.

The only thing holding back XBOX is the pure resentment from Microsoft bashers which can be seen in this forum.

Not one of the PS2 fanboys mentioned that the PS2 launch was a disgrace compared to the XBOX, with everything from console shortage to an awful game lineup.

Not one PS2 fanboy has mentioned that Sony have lost almost all 3rd party exclusive contracts. To add insult to injury they only own a few remaining companies producing any quality inhouse titles.

No one has mentioned that the PS2 online kit was a complete flop even in Japan where it was hoping to do best. Has anyone considered that Square needed 200k to make their project viable? They wont even have 5k when the game is launched.

This is just off a massive movie production loss mind you.

Also someone said the XBOX isnt selling well. This happens to be in Japan only. And it is to be expected considering Halo and another big title were not released with the console at launch, along with the fact that the Japanese are very loyal to homegrown products. Second of all sales have increased substantially in EU & AU since the price drop.

Then there is this BS about the XBOX being a downgraded PC. The XBOX is faster then any PC equivalent by a country mile, and any one with half a clue understands why. Furthermore if you think the XBOX is at a disadvantage because it is based on PC architecture you posses even less of a clue.

The problem with PC's is not that the hardware is inferior, it is that the hardware varies and advances so much game developers cannot make quality looking titles for a wide band of systems.

Finally the XBOX was released to counteract the PS2 eating into PC gaming sales. As long as MS's prices do not become unreasonable(which at the moment they are not) then I dont care if they have market dominance. If we accept the free market we accept that the best product wins.

The problem with PC's is not that the hardware is inferior, it is that the hardware varies and advances so much game developers cannot make quality looking titles for a wide band of systems.
Very true.

Name one game for the PC that requires a GeForce 3 or better to run (remember the XBox has a slightly enhanced GF3). You can't. Hell, most PC games still support the Voodoo 2, so they aren't even close to this level.

Online Play - Anyone who says online play isn't a big deal is retarted - Why is Quake (and UT, CS, etc) the most popular games - ONLINE PLAY

And which aspect of the quake series was patched the most? The networking code. How on earth are you going to handle that in a console situation? It would need some kind of 'patch on connect' system, which would mean a hard drive was essential, and also delays on connection, etc. Or obviously getting the code right the first time, which is generally a bit unrealistic.

I still maintane that unless you have both a keyboard and mouse as standard input devices, its not going to attract the right kind of people.

I dont know a *single* person whos even thought about using a console to play online. I debated the idea for a while (tony hawks 3), then realised I'd *much* rather phone a mate and get him to come over. At least then we can laff at each other and take the ****.

I've never said multiplayer isn't important, its pretty much why I've ever bought consoles, but not on ps2s..

Jon -

You just made contradicting statements:

You bring up Quake - the most popular online game on the net and then you say no one would want to play online games.

If you don't want online games - stick with your SNES. For those of us who want it - we can get it.