Xbox or not?

Read what I've written, and then try to argue the points I've made.

Online gaming isn't realistic with consoles.. at the moment.

There wont be the demand (kids parents wont let them hog the phone line).

Most normal people dont have a broadband access point by the TV (be it phone line or rj45).

The games wont have the mod-ability of pc games, which is a HUGE part of any games community.

Patching will be virtually impossible, meaning buggy games, or very simple online play.

I want online games. I have played them for f*cking years.

On a PC.

That way you get a community, games with a little more depth (falcon4), games that are modded to hell and back, producing some amazing results (counter strike), and all the other things that go with it.

Its gonna be a long long long time before console online gaming can even touch on the pc based equiv, I'll happily bet a lot of money on it.

Jon - I am not trying to offend you, but wake up!

Online gaming isn't ready for the console. Yes, broadband will be required, but that is a given.

Yes, the broadband roll-out has been slower than predicted, but soon it will be common place.

You made the comment: The games wont have the mod-ability of pc games, which is a HUGE part of any games community.

Are you on crack? I have never once modified anything about Quake, CS, UT, or any of the other thousand online games and I love them.

As for your bet, I am posting it here for everyone to see:

In less than 36 months (you said a long time, I am assuming that 36 months is short term), online games will be common place and they will be more popular than PC based games.

Why? Becuase TVs will always be cheaper and bigger than PCs, becuase TVs usually have a nice comfortable couch in front, and because a controller is has usability than a keyboard (I am not saying that there aren't people out there who have mastered the keyboard for games - but the average Joe can pick up a controller and start playing and not get confused).

and you comment you made: "games with a little more depth

" give me a break - how different is Halo from Quake, UT, and every other FPS.

The bet is on!

The network code had to be modified for two major reasons:

1. The mixture of dial-up and broadband

2. Cheaters

With Xbox Live cheating will be next to impossible at least until a cheat device rolls out. Even then M$ has stated that cheaters will be banned...next!

Now back on topic:

Unless you are SERIOUS about console gaming and have a nice setup then you really won?t notice a huge difference between the Xbox, GC, and PS2. Now as soon as you start adding in component connections, Dolby 5.1, existing LAN (or at least the capability to have one), and high end toys of that nature; the Xbox pulls FAR into the lead. How do I know that? Well I just play all three consoles on a wonderful setup and let progressive scan do my talking for me:p:p

Why are there so many Neowin users that can't make personal decisions on their own? Purchasing a game console is not rocket science.

It'd be one thing if there was no information available on the subject and the only resource available was other Neowin users...but there is plenty of info (biased and non-biased) out there for people to educate themselves with.

Maybe it's just me but I prefer to make my personal decisions based upon facts that I know, not on other people's opinions.

There seems to be a lot of misconstruded information going around here. Apparently most of you don't get how video games work.

It isn't about the hardware, it's about the software. Granted, if a system is really powerful, you'll get great looking graphics. But if all of you who thinks a game is just graphics, then you are seriously fooling yourself and therefore don't appreciate games.

The reason why I'm a Nintendo fan and not a fanboy (there is a difference) is because I appreciate the many quality games that Nintendo makes. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes; that is fine.

But for those who are nothing but blind X-Box fans, just remember this: You can have your hard drive, you can have your DVD player, you can have your ethernet connections, but if the only game most people are going to buy just to own a X-Box system is Halo, then my friends, you wasted a lot of money just for one game. Now, I've played a few titles on X-Box myself and while I marvel about the graphics it can produce, the gameplay and fun isn't there for me.

With the PS2, sure, there are a lot of great games, but if I am going to buy a system from a company who is dedicating that system for video games, I would like that same company to put forth the same quality dedication they put into the hardware. Apparently, Sony can't do that because the only games they know how to make are realistic racers and sleeper hit now and then. The only reason the PS2 is doing so great is the excellent 3rd-party support.

The reason why I stick with Nintendo through and through is because of the quality games that come out. I don't buy games on a whim or whenever a new game comes out. It's like buying a DVD movie or buying an album; you will be very selective to what you want to see and listen to.

I don't mind if some of you love the Microsoft X-Box and some of you love the Sony Playstation 2, because in truth, it's cool to see people appreciate video games. But when I see fanboys constantly trying to cram their beliefs down other people's throats to make them follow the crowd, it's a sickening display that shouldn't happen but does.

In truth, if you want an X-Box, go for it. If you want a PS2, go for it. If you want a GameCube, go for it. If you want to play games on a PC, go for it. But no matter what you judge or label systems as being "mature" or "kiddy", just remember, video games are entertainment, entertainment that was created for the ENTIRE family. I think I have said my peace.....nuff said.

Originally posted by robinmthomas  

Jon - I am not trying to offend you, but wake up!

Are you on crack?  I have never once modified anything about Quake, CS, UT, or any of the other thousand online games and I love them.

As for your bet, I am posting it here for everyone to see:

In less than 36 months (you said a long time, I am assuming that 36 months is short term), online games will be common place and they will be more popular than PC based games.

Why?  Becuase TVs will always be cheaper and bigger than PCs, becuase TVs usually have a nice comfortable couch in front, and because a controller is has usability than a keyboard (I am not saying that there aren't people out there who have mastered the keyboard for games - but the average Joe can pick up a controller and start playing and not get confused).

" give me a break - how different is Halo from Quake, UT, and every other FPS.

The bet is on!

You are one of the two people who don't mod their games then. Seriously i know very few who don't. Without that mod capability, the online console games will suffer.

Oh that post is ridiculous! In 36 months, console games will be more popular than pc games? Seeing as console games online is very rare...and in 36 months we will possibly be seeing ps3. In about 36 months, online console gaming will really just be getting started. Apparently you don't know how much work it will take to get it off thr ground. I would take your bet....36 months? Thats just laughable. I'd say 4 years MAYBE. And I'm giving you 2 years on that. Why would people buy a console for online gaming when they have a pc? Its already in the house...chances are it will be able to play any game. why spend 300-400 dollars for something you won't need?

Console's will remain better for multiplayer WITHIN THE ROOM...ie you and your friends sitting in the living room shooting each other.

Oh....halo is so different than quake, unreal etc. See...quake and unreal are GOOD games with good graphics. Halo is just good graphics.

Yes, and what did I follow that with?

'(falcon4)'

Do you even have a clue what Falcon4 is?

The most indepth, hardcore military flight sim we will *ever* see on the pc, which has been HEAVILY modded by the community, more than quake1/2/3 or halflife.

Again, read what I've posted before replying.

And you are probably one of the only PC online gamers I've ever spoken to who doesn't mod his games in any form.

Just remember, CounterStrike was a mod. It then turned into one of the biggest online games ever.

QED.