Neowin's List of Free Linux Games

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Surprised noone mentioned spring.

It was originally created to be a fully 3d version of the excellent Total Annihilation, which it has done very succesfully. The current goal is to create the best RTS ever.

Spring itself is actually an engine. It's the mods, maps and scripting resources that can make full and very different games. At the moment there are several mods based on Total Annihilation, such as XTA and BTA. There are also other mods based on Star Wars and Gundam, as well as many other very unique ones.

The main focus at the moment is multiplayer, but all sorts of clients can be made and are in development for single player skirmishes based on the different mods.

At the moment I'd say this project needs to achieve easier click and play.

Spring engine homepage

Screenshots

• 4 months later...

Any racing games along the lines of Need 4 Speed quality graphics? (I mean like HP2 or even Most Wanted.) Though, I did get Most Wanted to run under WINE, but it wasn't great. The shadows were messed up.

Wolfenstein ET is fun , but could be a pain to install for those who are new to linux

So here is how to ->link <-

and if you don't get any sound do this

open terminal and type :

sudo killall esd

sudo -i

echo "et.x86 0 0 direct" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss

exit

et

---

wormux an alternative to worms

true combat elite an enemy terrotory modifacation

Edited by Shiver202

Wolfenstein ET is fun , but could be a pain to install for those who are new to linux

So here is how to ->link <-

and if you don't get any sound do this

open terminal and type :

sudo killall esd

sudo -i

echo "et.x86 0 0 direct" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss

exit

et

---

wormux an alternative to worms

true combat elite an enemy terrotory modifacation

Thanks. I didn't have all that much trouble installing it. The instructions were quite straight forward and I didn't have any problems with the sound either. I had an Audigy 2 Value sound card as well.

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Not sure anyone will care about this anymore, but I thought I would update things a little.

Savage has now become Savage 2 and free, its an rts/rpg/fps game, you find for resources and bases in a series of matches, all meanwhile leveling up your character. Did I mention it looks very impressive?

ss90el0.jpg

savage2_L.jpg

You can also upgrade your account with one time small payment for additional features.

Nexuiz is an arena type fps. Simple yet has pleasing graphics and nice effects.

Battle for Wesnoth has already been mentioned, but I thought I would reinforce it. I spent quite a while inside this game, it is addictive. Its a turn-based strategy on a tile-based map.

Now I haven't personally tried Penumbra but it looks very impressive and fun. Especially if you enjoy an occasional horror game.

I will update if I can think of anymore games.

• 2 years later...

0 AD is a great new game.

To install on Ubuntu:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wfg/0ad
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install 0ad

The PPA might not work on all versions of Ubuntu.

It's also available directly from the Developer or GetDeb

Have fun xD

Here's a video I found on youtube:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Xonotic - FPS

Official Site

Xonotic is a free (GPL), fast-paced first-person shooter that works on Windows, OS X and Linux. The project is geared towards providing addictive arena shooter gameplay which is all spawned and driven by the community itself. Xonotic is a direct successor of the Nexuiz project with years of development between them, and it aims to become the best possible open-source FPS (first-person-shooter) of its kind.

• 2 weeks later...

runs really nice on my ubuntu machine

couldn't get this to launch

• 7 months later...