Counter-Strike 1.4 Impressions

Which is a better version, the steam one or the regular 1.4 version and why?

What are the differencer between steam and non-steam, I havent played enough to see many differences, but if others could help me come to the decision... great...

hmm

we should all mail valve and say that they should remove the fuc*ing jump behavior. and other bad things.

when they get flooded whit mails they maybe do it :)

cya:bandit:

i aint a newB, just its harder to dodge as when u jump and suddenly u pause after that jjump u will get shot and dead, and also my hl and cs crash now after i quick the server window thing, it dosent respone and then i end it via taks manager and it suddenly reponse but by then its too l8

Personally, i think the jumping this is good. In my opinion, bunny hopping is reatarded, no one can do that in real life, and while i know that the game is most definately NOT real life, it is firmly grounded on reality (guns, hitboxes, but more on that later.)

It also seems to be that either the general accuracy of guns (espically rifles) has been turned down. The power on some guns (M3 pump shottie, and the deagle) was also turned down.

The hit boxes are, as many other people have stated, not fun. It is way to easy to get headshots now, it also seems to me that centermass shots do a lot more damage than before. While realism in other respects is good, like jumping, and shooting, it has become all toghether too easy to die, and is saping some of the fun out of it. And as some one said before, this does indeed lead to more camping.

On the subject of camping, the new maps (not changed maps) are, for the most part, camping havens. I know people camp more when they first use a level casue they don't know the layout that well, but there seems to be an exceeding number of spots that encourage camping. Weather that was the idea, or its just poor level design, I do not know.

The new spectator things are great for the most part. The full map view kinda annoys me though cause its kinda sketchy who is shown and who is not.

Over all, 1.4 is a really mixed bag, but the hit boxes really ruin it for me. The server i frequent is typically chock full of really good players (i'm not one of them), and they typically hand me my ass about half the time. But about 70% of the kills are now headshots, and these people are on the straigt and narrow, just damn good, and it is excedingly frustrating now. I just want to go back to the 1.2 hit boxes, this is the only update since like beta 6 when i starded that I have been disappointed with.

Originally posted by iliveinbeaver  

this is the only update since like beta 6 when i starded that I have been disappointed with.

Heh funny, beta 7.1 was the only update i was dissapointed about since beta 1.0. Everything after 7.1 [1.0,1.1,1.3,1.4] is where cs has turned to crap, cheaters, new players, same maps overplayed, crappy ass community, and just the general game sucks now, it dosnt have the old beta 5 CS FEELING.

and i know alot of people lie about playin since beta 1, but im not haha.. quiz me. im very old school cs.. thats why cs sucks now, 30% of the people have only been playin since beta 6.5 or 7, and 60% since 1.0 [retail + popularity] , leaving 10% of good old school csers

i also consider anyone who started at 1.0 [ALOT OF PEOPLE] a newb, since they were the people that ruined CS:)

image_715.jpg

image_294.jpg

this was a good article about the updates for you newbs.

The Updates

As most of you know, Counter-Strike is work in progress. Every three to five months a new version comes out, with the word BETA in it. Gooseman has been known to say that this is just an excuse for bugs.  

With each new BETA features get added and taken away each time, and sometimes this does cause extreme outrage by the community. "It's hard to play a game that changes every few months" is the opinion of some, while "Change is good" is the thoughts of others. Just take a look at the forums after a new release.  

BETA 2 was the time when silencers on the USP and M4A1 appeared along with the AK-47, Commando, and Desert Eagle. Night Vision as a separate item also made an appearance.  

A very big controversy happened after the release of BETA 3, frags were completely removed from the score board. A lot of people, a lot, were furious over this, some went as far as to call Gooseman names, others protested even playing Counter-Strike. It wasn't a coincidence that in BETA 4 showing frags was enabled again, via another control. In BETA 5 and 6 it was changed to a command, and finally frags are now shown all the time, with no option to turn it off.' Gooseman has always maintained he has made Counter-Strike for himself, and only himself, but various community petitions and general suggestions have changed the face of Counter-Strike in a better or worse project depending on who you talk to.  

"We tend to try a lot of wacky things in CS that a lot of the people have to put up with." Gooseman admits, "[The Community gets]really ****ed at first but the true fans learn to cope. We will change CS if there's a unanimous hate for a certain feature of CS (e.g. frags not showing on the scoreboard)"  

BETA 3 also added the knife, helmet, and infamous P90 sub-machine gun. At the time, the P90 was inaccurate and not powerful.  

BETA 4 was one of the biggest Counter-Strike releases, a new gameplay type: Defusion! Even before BETA 1 Goose has expressed interest in making a C4 mission, along with a car bombing one. On the weapons and items front, BETA 4 added the P228, HE Grenade, and the Scout Sniper rifle. BETA 4.1 added the SAS model.  

BETA 4 was accepted well by the community, but BETA 4.1 would start a very, very bad era in Counter-Strike. Ever since BETA 1 the MP5 has been the weapon of choice by a large majority, but now a new weapon was taking over.  

An accurate, powerful, and cheap weapon. It held 50 rounds a clip and bunny hopping (jumping continuously) still allowed you to kill people. The P90 dominated Counter-Strike for months on end. The effect it had on so many players is, comically, considered a major event in their online life. Hell, I remember it. I was playing siege, as a Counter-Terrorist and for the first time in my life I saw more people holding P90's than MP5's. The next day, I joined another server and the same thing happened. This continued all the way until beta 6 ? or 4 months.  

In BETA 5 you could see other ghosts (those two dots). This was eventually taken out as it caused lag.  

BETA 5 was a horrible and great release at the same time. It was made primarily by Barking Dog Studios, now making a Homeworld add-on for Sierra. Typing a word at the console would crash a server, servers were also generally unstable, and there were many bugs. Gameplay did get put on the back burner to fix these bugs, and the Commando and P90 ended the usefulness of most other weapons. On the upside BETA 5 had a ton, and I mean a ton, of new and great features, plus it had a new shotgun, the xm1014 auto-shotgun.  

BETA 6 was a milestone in Counter-Strike history. Besides the new MAC-10 and AUG weapons, Snow and GIGN player model, and redone MP5 BETA 6 featured two new game types. Escape, where terrorists have to escape to a certain area -- a game type with only one map, currently; And assassination, where the CTs have to protect a VIP. Furthermore, BETA 6 included right and left handed weapons, a first. An outrage to many, it also lowered the player's running speeds.  

If BETA 6 ended P90 whoring, it started something much worse. A large cheating craze swept through the entire Counter-Strike community.  

Finally BETA 6.5, just released, features new netcode, a new m4a1, m3 shotgun, and USP, a new Terrorist model, plus various other enhancements. Also, the majority of cheats were eliminated, some are still being addressed in the new BETA 6.6, which should come out soon.

i'll write things the way i want this isn't grammer school so i don't need to be all neat. i know its the way it should be done but i don't feel like proofreading everything i write.

*ie needs a spell checker eh?

if you have listed 'bunny-hopping' as going down in quality, thats good, i'd like to see someone jump around with an assault rifle and shoot accurately.....:-|

Originally posted by IceHawk  

Using punctuation in your posts really makes it easier to read!

(Directed at Timan and KICK_XP)

And Action Half-Life is superior to CS.

at least they aren't those graal morons....

Originally posted by TDQuiksilver  

Running servers on Linux so wtf do I do with this .bin file in Linux to upgrade my HLDS anyways!?

this is how ya run bin files dude :)

su to root in console (e.g. su then root pass)

then cd to the folder of where it is in.

type:

chmod +x filename.bin (this makes it executable)

then to run the installer type:

./filename.bin

there ya go

Faction, i am with you 100% man. After 1.0 hit retail, everyone one their mom jumped online and started playing. People on 56k connections could finally play with out the whole haing to download stuff thing. And the game went down hill real fast.

Someone needs to start a server that runs a beta server anywhere up to around 9 is fine by me, but lets get back to the old mechanics of the game. Lets make it so that every noob can't just jump in and muck it up. Infact i think whoever does it should outlaw noobsticks. We need an underground CS society that stays true to the roots.

And its probally not gonna happen though, so i'll just play some DoD in the mean time, where the noob factor is a good bit lower, the skill factor is much more important, and team effort is absolutely necessary.

Oh and spinks, getting rid of that blasted bunny hopping is one of the best things that ever happened to the game. Well since the USP Tac that is.

Any one that says the USP isn't the best gun in the game has some learning to do.

I know all of this hub-bub is going to die down eventually. Everytime a new CS version comes out people bitch and complain about something they did wrong in the version. Like last version when the mics came out everyone said that it was the stupidest idea and that it lags the servers. Now everyone is freakin using their mikes. Also, version that I specifically remember that had a lot of people ****ed off was when they changed the netcode. No one even stopped to think about how it was before the netcode. If someone was on a 56k then they would lag the entire server, even people with extremely fast connections would feel the 56kers lack of connection. Eventually everyone is going to get used to the jumping and all of the other changes and then all of these complaints will die down because no matter how much you petition or complain I doubt they will every go back to version 1.3 so just live with it.

I've never really had a good play at CS, I played it when beta 1.1 was released and never played it since.

So , I've d/led the HL upgrade patch and I'm half way through downloading the CS patch .

What servers do you guys mostly play on?

As I'll probably start playing again tomorow and I want to meet up with someone from here .