Putting DVD's in the fridge makes them work

A friend of mine had some prob's with the DVDs I burned for him. I burned them for another friend and I have the originals.

The 3 sets all worked fine with me and the other friend, but not with the first friend. :ninja:

He asked the other friend to lend him his set..

They were out in the mailbox all night, and he put them in: HOORAY they worked...

When he tried 'em again half an hour later (eg. when they were warmer) they did not work anymore. :alien:

He got they idea to put em in the fridge... I told him that it wouldnt work 'cuz its just plastic... :blink:

He put em in, got em out next morning tried em and they WORKED.... :D

Is his PC seeing ghosts, :alien: is this coincidence or is it explainable?

Edited by ruudjacobs
  • Like 1

There is a remote possibility that the low temperature affected the physical characteristics of the disc. First, the components would have gotten slightly denser. Second, any conductive elements in it would have gotten more conductive. How this might pertain to a bad disc becoming readable, I don't know.

What's happening is that the droplets of condensation that is forming on the disc are amplifying the laser light so the the laser light is stronger so it reads better. If you could get it to read while the drive was open you could probably get yourself some laser eye surgery, too.

Id say your friend has a bad drive, and its just coincidence. in the past when my old laptops DVD drive started to go, it would only read discs when it felt like it, it would take about 6 - 7 tries at putting the disc in / out of the tray before it would finally read the data on the disc.

If you but DVDs in the microwave for 10 secs, when you play them, your dvd player will output it in 1080i. Something to do with chaning the data slightly, or something. Careful not to melt the dvd so much that it changes shape. 1080i is alot better than 480p. I have tried this myself with movies and xbox games. Trust me it works!

If you but DVDs in the microwave for 10 secs, when you play them, your dvd player will output it in 1080i.  Something to do with chaning the data slightly, or something.  Careful not to melt the dvd so much that it changes shape.  1080i is alot better than 480p.  I have tried this myself with movies and xbox games.  Trust me it works!

584910595[/snapback]

Hahaha :rofl: That would be funny if he did it, the dvd would blow up

Probably works the same way as putting broken hard drives in sealed vacuum bags and placing them in the freezer. Which has worked for me on more than one occasion.

584910640[/snapback]

Since when is there static in discs :blink:

The harddrive freezer thing works because cold kills static

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion the cause is indeed static crap (the hard-disk thingy)... but ehrmm... dvd's? I think the DVD-drive (which is a 1st generation dvd-reader) has something to do with it.. but what?

What's happening is that the droplets of condensation that is forming on the disc are amplifying the laser light so the the laser light is stronger so it reads better.  If you could get it to read while the drive was open you could probably get yourself some laser eye surgery, too.

584909590[/snapback]

Dude... you must kindda dumb if you think im gonna put WET stuff in to my DVD-player...

There is a remote possibility that the low temperature affected the physical characteristics of the disc.  First, the components would have gotten slightly denser.  Second, any conductive elements in it would have gotten more conductive.  How this might pertain to a bad disc becoming readable, I don't know.

584909584[/snapback]

Hmm sounds nice, but the 'conductive elements' part is bs... there ain't no current running through the dvd.. at least I hope so :ninja:

Id say your friend has a bad drive, and its just coincidence. in the past when my old laptops DVD drive started to go, it would only read discs when it felt like it, it would take about 6 - 7 tries at putting the disc in / out of the tray before it would finally read the data on the disc.

584909595[/snapback]

Yep.. you're right... thats exactely whats happening .. but how to explain it..?

Yup... thats why he copied the whole dvd ... but another important thing is .. I burned 2 sets of DVD's .. 1 DVD was an old Emtec/BASF DVD the others were new. The old DVD worked, the others didn't (untill they were fridgerized). The new ones have a different top-layer.. the old ones were just plain silver-colored...

• 8 years later...

A friend of mine had some prob's with the DVDs I burned for him. I burned them for another friend and I have the originals.

The 3 sets all worked fine with me and the other friend, but not with the first friend. :ninja:

He asked the other friend to lend him his set..

They were out in the mailbox all night, and he put them in: HOORAY they worked...

When he tried 'em again half an hour later (eg. when they were warmer) they did not work anymore. :alien:

He got they idea to put em in the fridge... I told him that it wouldnt work 'cuz its just plastic... blink.gif

He put em in, got em out next morning tried em and they WORKED.... biggrin.gif

Is his PC seeing ghosts, :alien: is this coincidence or is it explainable?

Hi it is not a joke! We are storing our DVD'S and CD's to hot if we store when in room temperature. I read about it in a Swedish paper. They said that a data security company recommended that.