MS Attempted To Buy Nintendo!

a excerpt from this book http://www.primapublishing.com/books/book/5877/

76153708.jpg

page 191

[Rick]Thompson visited Nintendo's headquarters in Kyoto. He wanted Microsoft to buy Nintendo, which had a market capitalization of $25 billion. It was a price that Microsoft could afford to pay if it really wanted to. With Nintendo on, the P&L on the Xbox would become positive very quickly. Nintendo usually made 50 percent or more of the games on its own consoles, so it reaped profits of $700 million a year or more. By contrast, Ed Fries's plan called for Microsoft to make as little as 17 percent of the games on its console.

Some Nintendo executives seemed interested and the meetings wen on through the winter. The parties met six or seven times. Microsoft wanted Nintendo to drop its GameCube console and get behind the Xbox. But Hiroshi Yamauchi, the aging CEO of Nintendo, didn't lile the idea. By January 2000 the talks were over.

"We said good luck and see you later," Thompson said.

most of the time I like MS and their products..

but this one i gotta say this: MS licks balls

no wonder they're up for anti-competitive charges! They're always looking to buy out their goddamn competition!

Its no wonder they feel that way though considering they have more money than most countries... :roll:

here's another quote from the book:

It was in the little conference room around a circular table that these renegades hatched what Blackley and Bachus would later call Project Midway. Blackleyy liked the name because the box was going to be midway between a PC and a game console--and because it conjured up images of the Battle of Midway in World War II, when Americans used subterfuge and intelligence to deal a staggering blow to the Japanese Navy. Here, an American company was going up against the Japanese empires of Sony, Sega and Nintendo. Needless to say, it was a politically incorrect code name in an industry where Microsoft would have to rely on Japanese developers and publishers.

morons :cheeky:

Originally posted by nekrosoft13  

i hate that company and all of it products

and u still run xp? :D

no no no.. M$.. no ! :p

Thank You ;)

Space Guy Out

i really don't care

if ms wants to kill nintendo, go ahead

i hate that company and all of it products

And I was to come on here and say the same about Microsoft I would be flamed outta the forums..

I really like Nintendo - I STILL have a SNES which I have now owned for what must be around 7 or 8 years. Admittedly I dont play on it any more (thats what Emulators are for, right?) but the games are still good for it.. :)

Originally posted by KnifeFace  

hehe, Bill wants to be the ulimate world ruler in everything :D

imagine if MS made cars...whoa..thats a scary thought! *CRASH*:dead:

You guys shouldn't get too hot and bothered by this book. It is one source you know, before you jump the gun and get all ###### at Microsoft, maybe you should do some research on your own.

If you all hate MS so much, go out and make the better product. You think you know how to do it, and know whats all screwed up with MS, go for it.

As I see it MS created the OS industry. MS was the impetus behind the massive boom in the PC industry. and MS has succeeded where oh so many others had failed; even before MS, and contemporaneously so dont feed me all the hype about how MS succeeded because it destoryed the competitor. (i.e. Apple is still around, and probably only because of MS!) Oh, and what about IBM and their incredible incompetence? let us not forget that Xerox had the mouse, GUI, and email networks *years* before MS. Everyone here should know that Steve Jobs stole all that form Xerox in the first place! So anyone who praises Apple and biotches about MS can suck my thumb.

You think you can do it better, go for it. This anti MS comment on every freaking post is so irritating. everyone knows you hate MS. You hate it so much you all **advertise the fact that you use it** in your signiture files.

C'mon people its a book about a business deal. You should learn some of the things all the other great captains of industry have done - MS pales in comparison. You all are probaBLY TOO YOUNG TO KNOW ABOUT "Ma Bell." Yeah shes got the Ill communication, but hav eyou any idea about how terrible the phone companies used to be? What about the rip off that are cell phones?

imagine if MS made cars...whoa..thats a scary thought! *CRASH*

Well have you ever heard of Gerald Wiegert? How about Preston Tucker? Good luck to MS getting in the auto industry, Ford, GM, Chrysler etc. would destroy MS. Just as they have done with every other little upstart who tried to break in the field.

Crap I wish MS would buy Nintendo. It would make up for all the Japanese companies that purchased US companies. Have you ever thought about that? Porbably not because you are too preoccupied with hating MS.

thanks4info[1].gif

You think you can do it better, go for it. This anti MS comment on every freaking post is so irritating. everyone knows you hate MS. You hate it so much you all **advertise the fact that you use it** in your signiture files.
Yup. Thats right. I probably could do better if I had MS almost infinite resources at my fingertips. Hundreds of programmers to code my every whim (note the sarcasm?..more to come). Who said you have to endure the endless torture of reading every single anti MS comment? You're from California correct? Then I believe you are familiar with the term "free speech"??

The fact that we own MS products give us the right to praise or even *gasp* compain about the product we paid for.

Well have you ever heard of Gerald Wiegert? How about Preston Tucker? Good luck to MS getting in the auto industry, Ford, GM, Chrysler etc. would destroy MS. Just as they have done with every other little upstart who tried to break in the field.

intresting.jpg

[start sarcasm]

I'm so giddy! I got a reply!

*phew* this reply took alot out of me..I think I'll go for a walk

[/end sarcasm]:right:

you shouldnt take everything you read so seriously..you're gonna have a brain hemorage(sp?):ponder:

P.S. GO NEOWIN!:D

Ay chiuhauah!

First I appreciate the reference to "Dogma" and Kevin Smith - one of my heroes. the other is Andy Kaufman.

you shouldnt take everything you read so seriously..you're gonna have a brain hemorage(sp?)
you should try a cup of that yourself ;) **sarcasm**
Yup. Thats right. I probably could do better if I had MS almost infinite resources at my fingertips. Hundreds of programmers to code my every whim (note the sarcasm?..more to come

Remember, MS did not start off with all the resources they have now. In fact IBM and XEROX were huge companies in the same field. Yet is was the smooth buisiness tactics of Gates that allowed MS to grow so large.

You're from California correct? Then I believe you are familiar with the term "free speech"??

Question: what does free speech ahve to do with it? I am not censoring theor comments, I am merely practising my Constitutional right to disagree. (hint of sarcasm)

I appreciate your comments, here is a more detailed explanation of what I was trying to say:

I think Win has problems. 95 was a hog, but was great in its day. 98SE was a huge improvement, ME sucked. 2000 rocked, XP does as well.

Office and Word suck, I use Word Perfect 2000. Outlook is good. I dont develop, so I cant comment on their development tools. IE sucked at first but is improving. Still not as good as Opera.

Fact is I have a need for certain programs. as it stands MS is the best resource for an OS for my needs, and the needs of the majority of people. People that have other needs for their OS use other OS'. Fact is that they are the minority, the specialty users.

All in all what irks me is there was an interesting post about MS looking tobuy Nintendo. Rather than comment on the business insights of this idea people began to slam MS. For what reason? Purchasing Nintendo would have been a fantastic coup, and a good move for an American business. But posters were jaded by their blind hatred for the company.

(forgive spelling errors, I am int eh middle of studying for my con Law : Fed State relationships final and i am not proofing this :) )

Cheers and sarcasm back atcha!

Originally posted by JaggedFlame  

And you represent the "Neowinian Elite", eh?

You sound like you need a hug..come 'ere fella!:o

in regards to: Eth3l

..rather than turn this..ever so amusing thread into an "i hate ms, i love ms, idgra ms" and further the bashings..i've pmed my reply. I think the threads lost its flavour..:(

Originally posted by Space Guy  

and u still run xp? :D

no no no.. M$.. no ! :p

Thank You ;)

Space Guy Out

not ms

i meat nintendo!!!!!!!!

i dislike all the consoles

but nintendo should burn in hell!!!!!!!!:evil:

not ms

i meat nintendo!!!!!!!!

i dislike all the consoles  

but nintendo should burn in hell!!!!!!!!:evil:

got it :p

Thank You ;)

Space Guy Out

Nintendo is great, all you MS fan-boys. I have nothing wrong with Microsoft, I just do not like their console. I love their operating systems (for the most part), however.

I think you all are probably still mad at the Nintendo 64 or something because the GameCube is perfectly fine. I guess it is your call and your preference, though, everyone has a right to their own opinion.

As for Microsoft starting the OS and PC industry I have to say no. It did improve everything, but it far from started it all.

Actually many developers wish that the console industry would come together and make one standardized piece of hardware so that they could focus on making great games rather than playing politics...

But I guess you'd need to like read or something to know that :p