Microsoft Fingerprint Reader

Few days ago Microsoft released Fingerprint reader, a small gadget, wich helps you to relpace all your passwords with just one touch of your finger. Now you can log on to your computer and your favorite Web sites with the touch of your finger, without having to remember all those passwords?simply place your finger on the receiver whenever a password or username is required.

I recieved a package from Amazon today, inside I found user's manual, CD with software and Fingerprint reader. fprtr.JPG

The installation of software was quick, at one point it promted to plug the Fingerprint reader in and, afer installing drivers asked to restart.

When you reboot for the first time Fingerprint Registration wizard apears

1.jpg

and you are asked to register your fingerprints with the program. Just click on the finger you want to register and touch sensor when promted.

2.jpg

Device is configired and ready to use. Now, when you navigate to a page or open a program that requres a password, just touch the sensor and Create Fingerprint Logoin window appears, just enter your password, login and action to do, then press OK. Next time you visit this page just tap Fingerpint reader and it will log you in automatically.

3.jpg

You can also configure fingerprint logon to your windows by touching sensor when you're on Desktop, a small menu will appear in the right bottom of the screen, where you can access your pre-configured Login options for password proteced sites and programs, Help menu, Windows Logon configuration and Program configuation

5.jpg

In the end I would like to say that this devise was very easy to set-up and even easier to use. It saves you a lot of time, you don't have to remember and type in all those long passwords. Just touch a sensor and you're logged in.

Retail price: 49.99 $

I bought mine from Amazon.com

This is my first review, so your comments are much appreciated:p:p

Edited by b0m8er

how long does it take from the time u touch the sensor?

I can't wait to get one, I just want the keyboard though not the mouse and the other **** cause I already have a good one.

584932848[/snapback]

Less than a second, it's very fast.

I've had the U.are.U Personal fingerprint sensor (on which the MS hardware is based) for over a year now and it is great. Extremely fast, always recognizes my fingers as long as I place them on there semi-straight, and has never given a false positive. And not only can it save login information for web sites, but entire forms--name, address, telephone--can all be filled out just by touching your finger to the sensor. Very convenient.

That's awseome, and how much does this cost? Or where I can find more info about it? US Dollars?

584946636[/snapback]

well currently Tigerdirect has the best deal, which is why they are backordered ;) $76.99-$10 mail-in rebate. Not too shabby, haven't really found too many people to have it in the stores yet. Only place I found it local was at the BX on base and it was $98 there.

TigerDirect Link

I'm getting one for sure, costs about ?36 in the UK:DD

Radish™

584932897[/snapback]

?36? Wow, the gadget looks nifty but ?36 just so that you dont have to type in your passwo:o :o

Juste have one undre my finger,

It's saddely incompatible with Firefox (Microsoft Interop...)

and it's incompatible with a domain.

it could open your workgroup session, fill network or web password and could virtualy log you onto any application with a logon screen.

it's fun... :cool: but take it as a gadget for personnal use ! ...

Zoug

No firefox? that's 90% of it's use for me gone then.

Sounds like a very good idea for this to finally reach the mainstream market place and price bracket.

In a years time, it will be everywhere.

They could incorporate features like this into everyday appliances and utilities.

Of the top of my head:

Medicine cabinet

Kitchen chemical cupboard

Fridge

Freezer

Oven

TV - after 9pm for example

Front Door

Garage door

Car Door

Bedroom door

Safe

Fireplace

You get the drift. It's not only for lazy web users, house hold safety could be improved ten fold.

Of course, the doors etc would still have to be able to be smashed down in an emergency.

Groovedude :

yes you can use it on a windows logon or lock screen (only on a workgroup not on a domain)

spks3707:

effectively, mouse and keyboard has been release in the same time. juste didn't mention it because i already have so much keybord and mouse that i only bought the reader alone. :p

Zoug

lunamonkey:

The software shiped with the reader (digitalpersona password manager) is version 1.0 we could hope new version will improuve interoperabilite but not sure as it's a microsoft exclu.

note also that it more about convenience than about security

from micro$oft :

Security note

Microsoft Fingerprint Readers should not be used to replace passwords for accessing sensitive data, such as financial information, or for accessing corporate networks. Strong passwords are necessary in these cases.

it's a logical fingerprint reader, physical one are already well devlopped and implemented (when you talk about doors)

finnaly note that it's the first PERSONAL fingerprint reader and that ther are lot of product more secure to use in a network entreprise environement. (ex: taktook) those product will interact with active directory for exemple and are even more customizable.

Zoug

P.S sorry for my french-glish ... :whistle:

Thanks Zoug.

It's about convenience now, but I'm sure that it will have a security drive in the future.

I'm looking forward to more people using and exposing this technology to see it being used more than just logging passwords.