Microsoft Fingerprint Reader

reading the reviews on amazon.com i found that you cannot use it with firefox (wow stupid ms) and also it will not unlock screensavers or locked computers (wow stupid MS x2) so until they have support for both i wouldn't get it, and plus i really want something that will work with linux too!

i bought this thing today and freakin love it!

works great in IE... and it's not Microsofts fault it doesn't work in Firefox, talk to DigitalPersona...

before i bought it i figured it would not do quite what i wanted, like features would be missing. (i.e. logging into amex, you have to drop down a combobox and select which part of your account you want to go to.) but everything is there!!! it's great. highly reccomended.

Cool device but be sure not to get any cut on the finger you're going to use for logon otherwise it will be trouble ;)

584995452[/snapback]

That's why they have you scan 4 fingers :p

Just got mine in the mail today. It's a great keyboard, soft keys so they don't make much noise. Fingerprint reader works great. I love some of the warnings they give you to clean it. "Do not submerge reader in liquid". Some people are just really dumb. I have to admit I was abit disappointed when I fould out the keyboard isn't wireless, just the mouse. But still, I'm loving the fingerprint reader, guess I should have read more b4 purchasing. Wish I could get ahold of the Digital Persona SDK to make some programs to allow it to be used to log into more than just websites and windows.

Wish I could get ahold of the Digital Persona SDK to make some programs to allow it to be used to log into more than just websites and windows.

585017714[/snapback]

can't you download it from digitalpersona? i think it's just an activex com control...

i can log into software with this thing too, trillian, money, custom software that i've made, etc... it works for a lot.

i bought this thing today and freakin love it!

works great in IE... and it's not Microsofts fault it doesn't work in Firefox, talk to DigitalPersona...

584999070[/snapback]

Wrong. It IS Microsoft's fault it doesn't work in Firefox. I have the Digital Persona U.are.U Personal, as stated eariler, upon which the Microsoft product is based, and I have had it for some time now (over a year). It works perfectly in Firefox. It appears that MS has sabotaged their drivers.

Wrong. It IS Microsoft's fault it doesn't work in Firefox. I have the Digital Persona U.are.U Personal, as stated eariler, upon which the Microsoft product is based, and I have had it for some time now (over a year). It works perfectly in Firefox. It appears that MS has sabotaged their drivers.

585020551[/snapback]

so if that's the case can you just use the drivers from digital persona's website and have better functionality?

I have no idea...it's probably not that simple, because although Digital Persona makes the hardware, it's still telling the OS it's a MS product and there's the additional functionality of the keyboard tied in there as well. Since I don't have one, I don't know how they handle it. But someone could give it a shot. All I wanted to do was correct GwaRGuITaR's wild assumption that it was Digital Persona's fault that the thing didn't work in FF...I have no idea what he based that on.

All I wanted to do was correct GwaRGuITaR's wild assumption that it was Digital Persona's fault that the thing didn't work in FF...I have no idea what he based that on.

585021782[/snapback]

Maybe the fact that the software is not written by MS?

It is a software issue, NOT a driver issue.

• 2 weeks later...
... or locked computers (wow stupid MS x2) ...

Of course it does unlock computers!! Actually loggin on and unlocking the machine was the main reason for me to buy that baby. The password management is a benefit for me. :D

One thing I dislike is that it seems to have some (only some) problems when runinng in Maxthon (MyIE2) browser. Otherwise I'm very pleased with this gadget.

• 2 weeks later...

bought the standalone about 2 weeks ago. I love it but it kinda looses it's novelty after a week. :( It's still usefull, but my desire left after a week. Oh well.

Hmm, I am really looking into getting one, once i do a little more research. It has lost some appeal to me since it doesn't work in firefox. Does it work in any other browser? This is cool technology none the less

the keyboard is cool, i asked my dad if i could get it but then he got paranoid for some reason saying that some hacker can steal your fingerprint and passwords and stuff. but i see nothing wrong about security, if you have a good firewall, anti virus, anti spyware program, you're safe aren't you?

That's why they have you scan 4 fingers :p

584999441[/snapback]

infact you can scan even more of your fingers than that . Got one of these for dad for christmas who has arthrritus :( he finds it very useful as now he has to do les typing to get into sites and windows etc. I will post some screenies for u all :cool:

ok so for example heres me logging in to neowin. I already have the log in set up. To add a log in to a fingerprint u go to the page where u log in andtouch the reader with your registered finger

here i have 2 out of 10 possible fingers registered :

fp18mp.jpg

so heres my log in for neowin :

fp26lt.jpg

the log in manager allows you to set up your login :

fp38pi.jpg

and with one touch of the finger :

fp46mw.jpg

one touch menu : ( note the reader icon in the taskbar )

fp51hi.jpg

really is a great keyboard ( using it as i type ) very solid and well designed u get :

volume up and down key

mute key

My Documents key

My Pictures key

My Music Key

Mail key

web/home key

messenger key

calculator/log off/sleep

windows media keys ( play, pause, stop, forward, rewind)

advanced F key functionality

Maybe the fact that the software is not written by MS?

It is a software issue, NOT a driver issue.

585036446[/snapback]

No sh!t, really, the software isn't written by MS? /sarcasm

Did you read any of my other posts? Maybe you can explain to me how my Digital Persona fingerprint reader, WITH DIGITAL PERSONA SOFTWARE, works in Firefox, but the DP fingerprint reader inside the MS keyboard distributed with software MODIFIED by Microsoft doesn't? Stop blaming Digital Persona. They obviously know how to write the software correctly, because mine works perfectly in Firefox.

• 3 weeks later...