Best music format

I've been ripping my CDs to MP3 for quite a while, but I've heard that there are other formats availible that are more superior in Audio quality and file size (WMA, AAC, OGG, VBR??, Others???)

Please recommend the best audio format and why, I'm not interested in formats that can potentially have DRM attached to it such as WMA because I wouldn't like to support those formats.

Thanks! :cool:

Depends on what you're going to be using them on. For example if you're using an iPod then OGG wouldn't be any good, is it going to be used for playback on a PC only?

Playback for PC or Mac, not iPod, assume I have a fairly decent sound card and speakers. I intend to upgrade the sound system on my computer or buying a Mac with a nice sound card, that is the impetus for wanting to migrate my CDs to another format.

Well, most new audio codecs support DRM type features, but that doesn't mean you have to use them. I can't comment on OGG or VBR, but WMA is much better than MP3, and better than AAC. The reason is that you can get more quality with a smaller bitrate. For example, most MP3's are ripped from a CD at 128Kbps, and you can't really hear a difference. You can rip that same song at 96Kbps with WMA and not hear a difference, or even 64Kbps and only hear slight problems with some sounds (not noticable at normal volumes).

I've compared quality between an iTunes song (AAC) and a ripped WMA of mine, and I couldn't hear a difference with both of them at 128Kbps. I then ripped the same song at 96Kbps WMA, and didn't hear a difference. I obviously can't transcode the iTunes song, but I don't think it would have been as nice.

Windows Media also provides some really nice video codecs as well, if you're into backing up your DVDs.

Well, for cross platform compatibility MP3 or AAC would be best, OGG on OS X is niggly, as is WMA. With iTunes on Windows and OS X AAC would be a nice choice. As for WMA better than MP3 and AAC, this would suggest otherwise:

http://www.rjamorim.com/test/multiformat128/results.html

plot18z.png

One of many blind listening tests performed where WMA was quite low down.

If space isn't an issue then AAC at a reasonably high bitrate would be really good. If compatibility could be an issue (say you wanted to get a portable music player in the future) then perhaps something like MP3 at 192 VBR is still a good choice.

I think WMA is too much of a closed/restricted format to gain my support, I'ld rather something with no DRM attachments.

If space isn't an issue then AAC at a reasonably high bitrate would be really good. If compatibility could be an issue (say you wanted to get a portable music player in the future) then perhaps something like MP3 at 192 VBR is still a good choice.

Sounds good, If I rip with AAC, I assume I would be able to encode down to MP3 if I did get a portable music player.

You probably could, but that defeats the point of seeking a codec which will give you better quality sound. Converting one lossy format to another lossy format is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad and sounds nasty. All I'd say is if you imagine yourself getting an MP3 player, just carry on ripping in MP3. Ripped well it still sounds good and you won't have to worry about stuff like transcoding.

Just rip them with a lossless encoder if you wish to later encode it to another format. I personally use Apple Lossless which I love. (Y) (one reason because of my iPod) But there are other lossless ones as well--Flac, Monkey's Audio, etc.

Good point about lossy formats, I doubt I would buy a portable music player any time soon, but I'm considering an iBook. Other than that, is there a lossless format?

edit: iSadat anticipated my question :D

I use MPC when making my own rips. At Q6 (and maybe even a little lower) my ears can't tell the difference from the original. Judging by my collection, the average album size encoded at MPC Q6 is smaller than the same album encoded in MP3 192 CBR.

WMA is the best i have been using it for years now competition just pales in comparision :woot:

The Windows Media Audio 9 codec delivers superior quality at a fraction of the bit rate compared to MP3.

(i started by wanting to rip in mp3 but my pc only had wma then so i used it then & fell in love with it even thou i have mp3 codec i dont use it) ;)

WMA is the best i have been using it for years now competition just pales in comparision :woot:

Surely you are joking, right? I don't know of a single listening test WMA has won by any significant margin, if at all.

As for WMA better than MP3 and AAC, this would suggest otherwise:

584958314[/snapback]

I simply go by what my tests reveal. I'm sure I can find a "study" that would back up my findings as well ;)

I think WMA is too much of a closed/restricted format to gain my support, I'ld rather something with no DRM attachments.

Sounds good, If I rip with AAC, I assume I would be able to encode down to MP3 if I did get a portable music player.

584958320[/snapback]

WMA does not mean DRM! When you rip to WMA you do not automatically get DRM on the music. In fact, to enforce DRM you have to set up a licensing provider and all this crap, so you'd know if you were getting DRM :p

I simply go by what my tests reveal. I'm sure I can find a "study" that would back up my findings as well ;)

WMA does not mean DRM! When you rip to WMA you do not automatically get DRM on the music. In fact, to enforce DRM you have to set up a licensing provider and all this crap, so you'd know if you were getting DRM :p

584963007[/snapback]

So you call this your test?

I've compared quality between an iTunes song (AAC) and a ripped WMA of mine, and I couldn't hear a difference with both of them at 128Kbps. I then ripped the same song at 96Kbps WMA, and didn't hear a difference. I obviously can't transcode the iTunes song, but I don't think it would have been as nice.

:rofl: That's your test? An assumption?

Plus, it really all depends on what youre listening to. If you do check out that link that Daz posted, you'll see that it was tested on a variety of music and it shows that AAC still tops WMA.

So you call this your test?

:rofl:  That's your test? An assumption?

Plus, it really all depends on what youre listening to. If you do check out that link that Daz posted, you'll see that it was tested on a variety of music and it shows that AAC still tops WMA.

584963516[/snapback]

Just a quick note on that test. Windows Media Audio provides their Professional codec for free (which WMP encodes too), which this test does not use. They haven't updated their Standard codec in a while.

Ah, here's something you should look at:

http://www.rjamorim.com/test/128extension/results.html

WMA = AAC, however, the other tests on that website show that lower bitrate WMAs are better than lower bitrate audio files.

Again, it depends on what you want to use it with. There are a TON of media players that support WMA, as well as DVD players etc... the newest iteration of DVD will use Windows Media as their codec (well, it's split among 3 differenct codecs, but Windows Media is the cheapest, so you can bet it will be used the most). Microsoft is really pushing their codec, so you can bet it will be used the most.

My only suggestion is to find a few different genres of music you will listen to (if one codec is good for a particular type of music you will never listen to, why use it?) and encode then with the bitrate you think you will use. Do a blind test.

Ah, here's something you should look at:

http://www.rjamorim.com/test/128extension/results.html

WMA = AAC, however, the other tests on that website show that lower bitrate WMAs are better than lower bitrate audio files.

Again, it depends on what you want to use it with. There are a TON of media players that support WMA, as well as DVD players etc... the newest iteration of DVD will use Windows Media as their codec (well, it's split among 3 differenct codecs, but Windows Media is the cheapest, so you can bet it will be used the most). Microsoft is really pushing their codec, so you can bet it will be used the most.

My only suggestion is to find a few different genres of music you will listen to (if one codec is good for a particular type of music you will never listen to, why use it?) and encode then with the bitrate you think you will use. Do a blind test.

584963858[/snapback]

I agree with you that you should try different encodings for different music. But, who would encode music at anything lower than 128kbps? If it's for streaming 56kers, then I would understand, but for general consumer listening?

And I also agree with your statement about what you want to use it with. I have an iPod and plan on getting a mac(as with QR im assumming) so therefore AAC or Apple Lossless would be his best choice.

If you want compatability, go with MP3 (Lame --alt-preset-standard), it still gives very good results and you wont have to worry about converting for portable players etc.

If it's PC/Mac only (or you have one of the few portable players that supports it) - go with Ogg Vorbis. It's free, open, no drm and is comparable with the best proprietary codecs (AAC, WMA Pro).

I havent had any experience with AAC personally, but it does seem quite good.