Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD

well, i have had my monitor for 4?5? maybe even 6 months ?!?!

when i first got it i was gutted, i had read all the reviews and alot of people had dead pixels

and i thought i had 3 near the center :(

brush the screen with a microfiber cloth, and bingo 2 vanished :p

the one remaining one is stuck on light cyan, and although it is just off center, and just below half way down, i must say, after the first few weeks i never noticed again, infact, if you asked me to find it i would be hard pressed to find it under 30 seconds.

other than that 1 pixel, i love my monitor, its great for CS:S you see so much more in widescreen ;)

its amazing for World of Warcraft, you get a LOAD more space to customise your UI, so i can have a load of buttons and macros set up, and still have more viewing area that 99% of the other players ;)

movies look great on the moitor, fitting nicely into the screen size

photoshop is brillaint

you can surf and have a word document open side by side and read both really easly

if you were ever considering a new tft, got for this, you could be unlucky with dead pixels, back lighting, or even shortage of stock (mine was 3 weeks delivery...)

but once you get a nice one it is ssssoooo worth it :D

That's really weird. When I had a 2005fpw for a few days I tested it on my Mom's computer which has a 9800pro and it let me choose 1680x1050 right away. Also, my cousin has a 9700pro with this monitor and he had no troubles choosing 1680x1050. If dells website has no drivers then I guess powerstrip is your best bet at getting it to run at the right resolution.

I own a Dell Inspiron 9300 w/ the 128 MB ATI X300 Mobility videocard. I want to get an external monitor (preferably a widescreen). Anyone know whether the 128 MB X300 will run the 2005fpw @ 1680x1050? The ATI website isn't much help--it merely promises that the card will run widescreen monitors, but doesn't give info (that I have found) for specific resolutions....

I own a Dell Inspiron 9300 w/ the 128 MB ATI X300 Mobility videocard. I want to get an external monitor (preferably a widescreen). Anyone know whether the 128 MB X300 will run the 2005fpw @ 1680x1050? The ATI website isn't much help--it merely promises that the card will run widescreen monitors, but doesn't give info (that I have found) for specific resolutions....

yes it will run it....

I'm getting my replacement 2005FPW in a couple of days, the one I'm using now has a bad case of pixel retention (LCD version of burn in).

It goes away after a while though.

I just received mine a few days ago. This monitor far exceeded my expectations, especially the clarity of text. Luckily, I have no dead pixels but I do believe I have a little bit of backlight bleeding, which honestly doesn't bother me unless I try noticing it purposely.

Here are some pics:

http://joerobot.com/photos/index.php?path=Dell_2005FPW/

Yup, pretty much every LCD panel has slight backlight leakage somewhere. I have yet to own/see a flat panel that had absolutely no leakage whatsoever. As long as its not noticeable during normal use its nothing to worry about

Got my 2005fpw today (will be using it as an external monitor on my notebook--a Dell Inspiron 9300 w/ the 128MB ATI X300 mobile video card. I can't figure out how to get this set-up correctly---The 2005fpw shows an exact image of my desktop as is shown on my notebook screen, but at the same 1440x900 resolution. I went into Display Properties & selected 1680x1050 as the correct resolution, but that didn't change the image on the 2005fpw. I also want to make the 2005fpw as the primary (as in, the only) monitor--I don't even want my notebook screen to be on when the 2005fpw is connected. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Should I have started a new thread for this? Sorry if that's the case....Man, I feel stupid. :blush:

• 3 weeks later...

New modell coming soon! Dell 2007FPW 20" Widescreen =) Hope there is a upgraded panel on it or at least some fixes over the 2005FPW 20".

At least the design is nicer (not that i realy care) but nice to have somthin that goes along with my nice Pc Setup.

Anyone has some official release dates for the new 2007FPW 20" Widescreen?

New modell coming soon! Dell 2007FPW 20" Widescreen =) Hope there is a upgraded panel on it or at least some fixes over the 2005FPW 20".

At least the design is nicer (not that i realy care) but nice to have somthin that goes along with my nice Pc Setup.

Anyone has some official release dates for the new 2007FPW 20" Widescreen?

Isn't the 2007, nothing but the 2005 with HDCP added? It's doubtful their will be any other changes/upgrades

Isn't the 2007, nothing but the 2005 with HDCP added? It's doubtful their will be any other changes/upgrades

This looks like a great monitor but a couple questions........

I have an HP Media Center pc with Radeon x300 card that doesn't have a DVI connection. It apears that I would have to use the VGA connection to the monitor. Is the Radeon x300 an analog monitor output only? Is there such thing as a VGA to DVI connector? Is there much difference in analog vs digital as far as the display quality? Is this still a good monitor with the analog connection? I believe the x300 card has the high res settings ro take advantage of the monitors ability. Thanks for any comments.

Yea VGA is analog. DVI is Digital. So even if you had a vga coverter to dvi, its still outputs through VGA. I really could not tell a difference. Save up your money and wait to buy a decent cards. But i believe your card would work just fine.

• 1 month later...

Yea VGA is analog. DVI is Digital. So even if you had a vga coverter to dvi, its still outputs through VGA. I really could not tell a difference. Save up your money and wait to buy a decent cards. But i believe your card would work just fine.

hey, i have a question

i have a gamecube, and this monitor just went on sale. i want to be able to play my cube using this monitor. is it possible? it uses composite (the red, yellow and white cables). and how would the sound work on it.