Strip lyrics from song (mp3)

How does one get rid of the lyrics in a song. I have multiple mp3 files where I only want to hear the music, but not the lyrics.

Any free and/or affordable programs that I can do that with. If not what are the program titles I need to do this quickly and efficiently.

That's like saying you'd like to get the raw flour out of a baked loaf of bread, that just isn't possible (or at least very very difficult). MP3s don't have seperate audio streams for the instrumentals and the vocals, they're mixed into one.

Im sorry guys.. but most of you are wrong accept, Ryan92.

It is possible. a vocal allways ends up on a range of frequnecy.. this ranges from around 50khz.

I know for a fact the audigy player which comes with the card has a frequency counceller. and you can adjust what frequency of the sound you take out.

Yes, you do sometimes loose high drums etc.. it all depends on what is playing at the time. for example, a normal guitar playing a low note will be the same as a humans.. therefore it will cut that out.

go on google and search mate.

this ranges from around 50khz.

585025983[/snapback]

Just a side note eXsub, human hearing stretches from 20Hz - 20KHz, so 50KHz would be some pretty screaming vocals! :woot:

To remove the vocals is possible to a degree. There are programs out there that will do a decent job (Google is your friend), but most produce middling results.

Here's a technical explanation of how to remove vocals (most programs use a variation on this technique) if you want to give it a whirl, all you'll need is a decent audio editor:

Removing the vocals using the phase reverse trick is very easy. All you have to do is invert the polarity of one side of the stereo signal ? usually the right ? and then mix the left and right channels together in mono. This is pretty straightforward to do either with an analogue or digital mixer, or in a DAW, and is often referred to as the 'karaoke effect'.

This trick works because vocals are usually recorded in the centre of the stereo image ? in other words, the same signal is present at the same level in both channels ? whereas the rest of the band is spread out across the entire image (with each element at different levels in the two channels). By inverting the polarity of one channel and adding the left and (inverted) right signals together, anything which is identical in both channels will cancel out, and hence the vocals disappear.

The bass and kick drum are usually panned centrally too, and so these will disappear as well, which isn't very helpful! However, if you apply a high-pass filter to one channel (in other words, roll the bass off below about 120Hz) before you do the mono summing, you can retain most of the bass parts while still removing the vocals very effectively. This works because if the bass is removed from one channel, there is nothing to cancel out the bass remaining in the other channel.

One common problem with this simple karaoke trick is that it can't remove the (usually stereo) vocal reverb, or any panned vocals (such as a chorus), so in most cases you'll only be removing most of the vocal, rather than all of it.

Unfortunately, removing everything else to just leave the solo vocal cannot be achieved with any kind of variation of this technique, simply because of the variation in the stereo panning of every other source. In order for all of the (unwanted) backing to cancel out when the polarity of one channel is reversed, it would need to be identical in both channels, with the vocal panned to one side

Edited by Smithee

Just a side note eXsub, human hearing stretches from 20Hz - 20KHz, so 50KHz would be some pretty screaming vocals! :woot:

To remove the vocals is possible to a degree.  There are programs out there that will do a decent job (Google is your friend), but most produce middling results.

Here's a technical explanation of how to remove vocals (most programs use a variation on this technique) if you want to give it a whirl, all you'll need is a decent audio editor:

585034358[/snapback]

Smithee, I think that article is mistaken. If you take, for instance, the left channel and invert it, the waveforms cancel each other out. In otherwords, you'd be left with silence. I've run into this problem before when attempting to clean up some audio from a video shot in a gym, (heavy bg noise). There could be something else coming into play that I'm totally missing, so I could be wrong.... ?

If you take, for instance, the left channel and invert it, the waveforms cancel each other out. In otherwords, you'd be left with silence.

585049929[/snapback]

When you invert one channel, anything that is exactly the same in both channels (or anything that is panned centrally, when it was mixed), will be cancelled out.

However, in most modern day pop records, only the vocals, bass and a bit of the drums are panned centrally. The rest is spread out evenely across the stereo field and thus (in theory) won't be affected.

As was said, if you want to preserve bass then applying a high pass filter before the inversion will keep it there. In other words, remove the bass from the channel you're going to invert, so when their summed together again, the bass will only be present in 1 channel and thus not cancel out.

The technique is not perfect by a long shot, and more sophisticated means will include creative EQ adjustments, filters and effects etc. However, this way does work to a degree and forms the basis of removing vocals from tracks.

Of course all this just highlights the fact, that removing vocals, instruments or anything from a commercial track, is very hard and will never deliver magical results. It's alright for parties, but anyone wanting anything like serious results, wouldn't bother with this and would persue other means.

Yes well have you ever heard slipknot?

585049807[/snapback]

What's that got to do with anything?

• 3 weeks later...

you'll need some professional mp3software that will display all tracks/lines of the all the instruments and their channels as separated.

You know, if you only wanted the music from a track, you can get whats called an "instrumental", I'm surprised noones mentioned it thus far. You can often find instrumentals on the internet using P2P networks, but there are many cds which have hip hop and rap instrumentals, I know, but these might not apply to the song you're wanting to edit.

Another option is to get your hands on an "accapella" of the song. Then in a wave editting program like Sonic Foundry SoundForge, you can open the original track, and the accapella track simulaneously, and then invert the accapella waveform and merge the two waveforms cancelling out EXACTLY all of the vocals from the original. But this method relies on you being able to obtain the accapella mp3 of the song you want, and you being able to align the waveforms in SoundForge before merging the two.

I've used this method before, although not recently, and by experience I can say it works very well.

winamp 5 - Options - DSP/Effect - Nullsoft Signal Processing Studio - Configure Plugin - Load - "justin - stupid stereo voice removal.sps" - Open.

Now play your songs in winamp

Edited by Dr.Jones

winamp 5 - Options - DSP/Effect - Nullsoft Signal Processing Studio - Configure Plugin - Load  - "justin - stupid stereo voice removal.sps" - Open.

Now play your songs in winamp

585201452[/snapback]

umm didnt know about that. but tis not very good

just tried it with Craig David - Fill Me In, didnt do anything except change the eq a bit

bit more success with Craig David - Rendezvous, but at points you could hear the vocals just like normal

doesnt really work

The only true way is to have the seperate track samples and then just not include one. That's the obvious answer of course, but it's also the best.

No software can 'extract' the vocals completely, just muffle or make it seem like they aren't there.

doesnt really work

585205161[/snapback]

does totally depends on which song. I tried with Bleeding Me - Metallica and all that was left (beside the music) was some subtle stereo reverb. And if I try with metallica songs live, it doesn't remove anything. (I had metallica songs in my playlist at the time yeah)

I don't know what the algorithm is for that plugin but it works perfectly - on some songs -

Another option is to get your hands on an "accapella" of the song. Then in a wave editting program like Sonic Foundry SoundForge, you can open the original track, and the accapella track simulaneously, and then invert the accapella waveform and merge the two waveforms cancelling out EXACTLY all of the vocals from the original. But this method relies on you being able to obtain the accapella mp3 of the song you want, and you being able to align the waveforms in SoundForge before merging the two.

I've used this method before, although not recently, and by experience I can say it works very well.

585196620[/snapback]

wow, thats crazy but it would work, i would love to get my hands on the intramentals of many modern songs which are used as bumber music and such

wow, thats crazy but it would work, i would love to get my hands on the intramentals of many modern songs which are used as bumber music and such

585213957[/snapback]

Just in the same way you could invert the instrumental version, and then merge to get just an acapella version of the track.