official mmo warcraft blizzard pc

• Please log in to reply
12705 replies to this topic

#12466 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 11 November 2012 - 16:10

So after playing around and getting back into it, I can't believe how dumbed down WoW has gotten. :(

I always laugh when people say a game that requires a left mouse click or a right mouse click has been "Dumbed Down". They did make stuff easier but like I said, left mouse and right mouse. Hell I tanked MoP heroics and 2 raid bosses using an xbox360 controller on my monk with ease. I even levelled him 1 - 90 with a 360 controller and died twice the whole time due to a crap healer in dungeons.

#12467 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 November 2012 - 18:24

I always laugh when people say a game that requires a left mouse click or a right mouse click has been "Dumbed Down". They did make stuff easier but like I said, left mouse and right mouse. Hell I tanked MoP heroics and 2 raid bosses using an xbox360 controller on my monk with ease. I even levelled him 1 - 90 with a 360 controller and died twice the whole time due to a crap healer in dungeons.

You just proved my point. WoW has gotten dumbed down. There's no variety in builds anymore since you pretty much have very few choices and they went back to the burn and aoe everything dungeon style.

#12468 DrunkenBeard

DrunkenBeard

Drunk.

Posted 11 November 2012 - 18:36

You just proved my point. WoW has gotten dumbed down. There's no variety in builds anymore since you pretty much have very few choices and they went back to the burn and aoe everything dungeon style.

WoW hasn't really been dumbed down, what Blizzard did is that they clearly separated contents into categories accessible for different types of players. So yeah if you are doing content that is intended for casuals like me who play on the weekends and look forward to do a couple random battlegrounds and some scenarios then yes you will find it easy, but if you want hardcore stuff try raiding heroics, or getting a gold time in challenge modes. As for builds, how can you say there is no variety in them anymore? You would have said this during Cataclysm I would have agreed, but the new talent system has at most 1 or 2 mandatory talents and all the other ones are for you to decide. It has been streamlined, yes, dumbed down? no. Again, they have just made the experience more enjoyable for people who just don't have the time to invest, but if you do have the time the HC seen is still huge and thriving.

#12469 +dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy SII

Posted 11 November 2012 - 19:11

WoW hasn't really been dumbed down, what Blizzard did is that they clearly separated contents into categories accessible for different types of players. So yeah if you are doing content that is intended for casuals like me who play on the weekends and look forward to do a couple random battlegrounds and some scenarios then yes you will find it easy, but if you want hardcore stuff try raiding heroics, or getting a gold time in challenge modes. As for builds, how can you say there is no variety in them anymore? You would have said this during Cataclysm I would have agreed, but the new talent system has at most 1 or 2 mandatory talents and all the other ones are for you to decide. It has been streamlined, yes, dumbed down? no. Again, they have just made the experience more enjoyable for people who just don't have the time to invest, but if you do have the time the HC seen is still huge and thriving.

Don't want players to invest too much time in building their character (the fun part) but instead on dailies and rep grind (the annoying part).

Somehow, I think they have their priorities a little mixed up. :/

#12470 DrunkenBeard

DrunkenBeard

Drunk.

Posted 11 November 2012 - 19:18

Don't want players to invest too much time in building their character (the fun part) but instead on dailies and rep grind (the annoying part).

Somehow, I think they have their priorities a little mixed up. :/

Yeah that's a point I agree with, the entire premise of dailies is very obscure and if I'm being honest I think it's just a way for them to ensure you'll be paying next month. I don't like dailies, at least not the hundreds of dailies that we get in MoP, but I guess at least they're not absolutely mandatory this time around as you only get vanity items by being exalted.

#12471 +Xenosion

Xenosion

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 November 2012 - 19:50

I would argue that the importance put on dailies this time around is for two reasons. One, to encourage players to experience the new areas they've created. For instance, you can't purchase new PvP gear from the main city - you have to travel to the middle of nowhere to do so. I can't ride my new Crimson Cloud Serpent because I didn't grind my reputation with Cloud Serpents. Two, to postpone the obsolescence of their content for as long as possible by making valor and gear more time consuming to obtain.

Blizzard has a habit of doing things that encourage their content to be played/seen by as many people as possible for as long as possible.

#12472 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 520

Posted 12 November 2012 - 19:52

Now people are complaining that there's too much content?

#12473 +Xenosion

Xenosion

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 November 2012 - 19:57

If you were to attempt to simplify the situation, I could see where you get that impression.

#12474 episode

episode

Neowinian Fanatic

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 12 November 2012 - 20:03

More like the content takes a little effort to complete. In Cata, all you had to do was sit in SW/Org and queue for heroics while wearing a tabard. Now you need to complete dailies for the rep in order to buy the epic pieces.
There are a LOT of dailies, but its nothing you need to complete all at once. Golden Lotus has a ton of quests, but the Klaxxi, Shado-Pan, and August Celestials don't take long at all. And Cloud Serpents, Tillers, and Anglers aren't required for anything but basically cosmetic rewards.

#12475 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 12 November 2012 - 20:08

I would argue that the importance put on dailies this time around is for two reasons. One, to encourage players to experience the new areas they've created. For instance, you can't purchase new PvP gear from the main city - you have to travel to the middle of nowhere to do so. I can't ride my new Crimson Cloud Serpent because I didn't grind my reputation with Cloud Serpents. Two, to postpone the obsolescence of their content for as long as possible by making valor and gear more time consuming to obtain.

Blizzard has a habit of doing things that encourage their content to be played/seen by as many people as possible for as long as possible.

Having to go traveling around to get your pvp gear is such a terrible idea. What will they think of next for a terrible idea? Take the armor repair ability off of all the npcs in town and make you have waste time to go out to some remote location to be able to fix your gear? Actually, i shouldn't have said that, cause they probably will end up doing that here soon.

Also, they don't make gear, items and points take a long time to get just to postpone the obsolescence of the content. They do it so they can get more money out of you in sub fees.

#12476 +Xenosion

Xenosion

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 November 2012 - 20:15

More like the content takes a little effort to complete. In Cata, all you had to do was sit in SW/Org and queue for heroics while wearing a tabard. Now you need to complete dailies for the rep in order to buy the epic pieces.
There are a LOT of dailies, but its nothing you need to complete all at once. Golden Lotus has a ton of quests, but the Klaxxi, Shado-Pan, and August Celestials don't take long at all. And Cloud Serpents, Tillers, and Anglers aren't required for anything but basically cosmetic rewards.

Right, the dailies aren't a huge, difficult chore, but they are a chore. Dailies have never been enjoyed by the majority of players yet Blizzard still implemented them. Probably for the reasons I mentioned.

Also, they don't make gear, items and points take a long time to get just to postpone the obsolescence of the content. They do it so they can get more money out of you in sub fees.

Personally, I don't believe Blizzard developers outright asks themselves what they can do to increase money in their pockets. They may ask themselves how they can get more out of their content which indirectly benefits their subs and also benefits the players if it's done right.

#12477 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 12 November 2012 - 20:26

Personally, I don't believe Blizzard developers outright asks themselves what they can do to increase money in their pockets. They may ask themselves how they can get more out of their content which indirectly benefits their subs and also benefits the players if it's done right.

I don't think developpers take such decision. Dev do what they are asked to do. Those decision (dailies) are taken by people who don't touch code with a 10 foot pole.

#12478 +Xenosion

Xenosion

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 November 2012 - 20:31

Maybe developers wasn't the right word, but people like Ghostcrawler. Sure there's got to be influence to increase revenue but my point is that only doing what gives maximum profits will not benefit the player and will result in less profits. In other words: what's best for players is what's best for Blizzard. Mostly..

#12479 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 November 2012 - 21:10

Maybe developers wasn't the right word, but people like Ghostcrawler. Sure there's got to be influence to increase revenue but my point is that only doing what gives maximum profits will not benefit the player and will result in less profits. In other words: what's best for players is what's best for Blizzard. Mostly..

More like King Kotick since all he cares about is how much $$$ he can squeeze out of people.

#12480 +dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy SII

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:09

Nostalgia'd so hard. :(

If only I could go back. Just thought I'd share for those who enjoyed (or still enjoy) playing.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!