Logitech MX1000 Mouse

So Logitech's latest cordless optical mouse is just like any other, but alot more expensive, right? Wrong. I test drive the mouse, and discover that there's a mousing heaven after all! :)

Here's some pictures that I'll start off with:

post-81468-1103652049.jpg

post-81468-1103652075.jpg

post-81468-1103652089.jpg

post-81468-1103652106.jpg

Hmmm... Sexy =p Now you have a good idea what it looks like.

What's under the box?

It's what's under the box that makes a real difference here. Typical ball mice function by tracking the motion of the little round object inside them. They do this with an "opto-mechanical" method. The little ball rolls, and two "rollers," one for the x axis and one for the y axis track its movement, and turn shafts which attach to a wheel. Through holes slotted in the wheels, infrared light shines, and is picked up by an optical encoder. Another sensor picks up direction of movement, and combining those two values (direction and speed) for each direction, the mouse can send along data to its driver. That's what I use for my SUN machine, and has been used on my parents' crappy old computer since the days I was a youngster. However, that technology has been replaced for the most part in any modern PC. With what? Well, the "mechanical" part has been removed from the equation. For any of you fortunate to grow up on old equipment, you'll remember that cleaning the mouse was a gigantic pain in the arse. Instead of wheels, rollers and balls, an "optical" mouse basically takes pictures of the surface on which it's mousing. Using a small red LED and CMOS sensor, the mouse actually "looks" at what it's on top of. By comparing one picture to the next in sequence, the mouse's on board processor is able to figure out how far it moved from one frame to the next.

The Battery

In comparison, the MX1000 seems like it's just always on. The difference is that obvious. As well, the Cordless Mouseman Optical never seems to go fully asleep, and will still eat into your battery life even when it's sitting at your desk while you are spending time at home instead of work. The MX1000 has a discreet switch on the button of the mouse you can use to shut it off, where previous Logitech designs required you to pull the batteries themselves. I never bothered to use that, since I was TRYING to kill the charge, but the mouse seems to enter a much deeper sleep state. I couldn't notice the laser firing at all.

The Good

Wireless, with cord performance

Battery life, compared to AA's

"All I want is a mouse with a frickin' laser beam attached to it's belly"

The Bad

If battery does go, you're fskd

It's not cheap; they make you pay for mousing heaven

Righties only, regardless of what the driver says

Edited by oddcrap

Got it 2 days ago, and man I can really feel the difference from my MX700. Im glad I bought it along with my iPod Mini. Good pair for Christmas. Its a nice mouse, with no lag after lifting it from the mouse pad whatsoever. A very solid product from a solid company. I recommend it to anyone who's interested in mice, best one I've used so far. Though its a bit on the BIG side, and heavy as well, it doesnt take much movement to move the the otherside of the screen. May need adjusting, be warned. I was a heavy MX700 user and its like having to relearn how to use a mouse all over again, but then again its the same experience moving from my Intellimouse Explorer 1.0 to 3.0 and to an MX700, so it might take 3 days or so more.

Edit: Im also too scared to remove the plastic covers on the charging base... (hehe, good ol' paranoid me)

i've got the mx1000 and it's been working wonderfuly except for one small issue. my right mouse button seems to be sticking. if it gets any worse i think i'll send it in to logitech to get a replacement because it's almost to the point where it's annoying.

Well, I just got it for Christmas today, as I hoped, and I have to say that I immediately fell in love. It's very quick, no delay (as I'd heard before), and the buttons are incredibly useful. The scroll wheel is nice and smooth (one thing I hate about MS mice is the wierdness of turning the scroll wheel (unless they improved that lately, but I had the Wireless Optical Desktop since my birthday and it was still that way)), and I love the feel of it in my hand. It is highly configurable through both the Mouse CPL and Logitech SetPoint.

I can find nothing bad about this mouse so far, although I've only had it for less than 12 hours :p

i just got one for christmas and its really nice, i just wish you could bind certain buttons to do more than just basic key presses (you cant bind a windows + something command. wanna do show desktop? well, you cant.)

i fully charged it once and havent charged it since. i got it christmas day, so you can see how long the battery lasts. it is flawless during games. i love it.

it works on any surface i think

i had it on glass and it worked fine

my only complaint is that i got bad wrists, and this mouse is a big heavy than a wired mouse

my gaming suffered

Ive had mine since October...

Very good.

Only one problem with mine... The white Logitech Logo has rubbed off :(

585205247[/snapback]

heh mines starting too as well.

never noticed.. hopefully it fully dissapears then it wont be too bad...

it works on any surface i think

i had it on glass and it worked fine

my only complaint is that i got bad wrists, and this mouse is a big heavy than a wired mouse

my gaming suffered

585211333[/snapback]

Mine doesn't work on my glass desk.