To XBOX or not to XBOX?

Well here in Aus the XBOX just dropped to a price where im actually thinking should I buy one?

Im generally a PC Gamer myself but alot of my mates who were have moved to the PS2 or other game consoles and im starting to think Why not too.

Its dropped to a relatibely low price. And Halo looks pretty kickass, and GTA3 will be out on it soon enough so im thinking why not. But Alas im really on the fence on this one, Sorta im not desperate for one but ive got the money tospend and it might look nice in my room, so im just wondering what everyone thinks.

ANd I have a DVD Player so unfortunetly buying it for that purpose wouldnt be very productive.

I got a big ass tv in my room, connected to a kickass HiFi System with surround sound. I mention that because I think the games would probably go great with it, so im just letting you know my gaming experience would probably be pretty good wouldnt it?

Well what do you guys think anyway?

Guess it depends really.. bearing in mind that Halo will come to PC, and GTA3 is nearly out for the PC.. if you only really want an Xbox for those two games then just hold your horses :)

Well, I own a PS2 and have rented an XBox a couple of times and personally I think that right now, the PS2 is still the system to get. The graphics on the XBox are definitely impressive, but the games themselves aren't in my opinion. There are more and more titles released constantly, but the PS2 already has a huge library of games. I will probably get an XBox as well when the price drops here for the simple fact that I must have Jet Set Future. :D Other than that though, I don't really like the XBox too terribly much. Halo does kick ass, but I hate using a gamepad for a first person shooter. If I could use a keyboard and mouse for it like some games on the PS2, I would be all over it.. As an added bonus to the PS2, you can get a chip for it and play burned games. This might be a possibility in the future for the XBox, but who knows?

I really don't think that you would be disappointed with the XBox though. As the library of games grows, there will be more and more titles actually worth getting.

there are some good games comming to Xbox, Unreal Championship 2003, Gunmetal, Soul Calibur 2. i have GunValkyrie and i think it is really cool!!

also if you have a High definition tv or a surround sound reciever with dolby digital you can get 5.1 dolby digital surround sound with xbox! Halo is insane!

how many times has this been posted? Its funny, you don't see people debating on whether to get a GC or PS2, its always the XBOX. If you think the XBOX is going to have lots of good games in the future then get one, I dont care.

Well I just mention them becuas there the only two I know

well Gotham Racing and a cpl other that dont appeal to me

But I havent really looked into what other games it offer

does it have any other good ones?

Thanks for that great input username

the reason why its never a PS2 or GC is because GC suck and PS2 are still more expensive then XBOX.

Hey is JediKnightII out on Xbox?

just look at the average ratings at gamespot.com most XBOX games don't rate that high. A great game is something that people will remember 5 years from now. Halo maybe, anything else.... not that i can think of.

As for GC, its sold a lot more than the XBOX (has a lot of great games coming out), and PS2 has already established itself (and already has a lot of great games).

these supposed to be a divx player in the works so i'd say get one, i havent got enough atm but when i do i'll be gettin a xbox... theres gonna be so much you can do soon.. maybe install differnet OS's and programs onto the HD.. xbox looks like its gonna be a winner

Honestly, why not a Gamecube? Its graphics are just as good, the games are just as fun, and the price is far cheaper.

YEah look im just not a GC person ill concede I havent even really looked into it ive seen some screens n stuff but Nintendo killed themeselves for me long ago

Ninentndo consoles just tend to have cartoon graphics types, you know what I mean by this perhaps not as much in the GC but the 64 sure as hell did and thats what killed it for me. And Ive never been a Ninento fan since, the Super Nintendo was about the last console I ever owned, all PCing from there.

Thats right XBOX have HDD. What the hell can you do with a HDD On them anyway? Does that mean no memory cards?

agreed that n64 graphics were all cartoonish like even the most advanced of its games but hey.....they were cartridge form.....im pretty sure thats the reason why....every console has stupid games when it is first released....including the almighty playstation 2

gc will come up and dominate them both ;)

the HDD means no memory cards (unless copying a save to another box)

storing music on the HDD to play in games that support it (quite a high number do)

shorter loading times between levels, bigger levels

Hrmm well ive done some limited reviewing

doesnt really look like the ol XBOX does have alot of games out on it, there salot "Comming"

and the PS2 does have alot but its too expensive

ah screw it ill just save my money I guess its spend too much or spend to less and have it do nothing to some other games besides Halo come out on it. Damn Catch 22

Ahh yeah Load time gods thats something that ****s me about the Playstation 1 and 2

really you can store music on it?

and store Games on the HDD

Well this is sounding better indeed.

gamecubes loading times are very impressive for a deformed dvd type cd based system...they're great actually....i dont ever find myself waiting and getting ****ed off that its taking forever to load (playstation 1,2)

i would not say xbox uses the hardrive to limit load times because its got some long ones

the xbox has everything a PC has except the floppy

Originally posted by Osiris

YEah look im just not a GC person ill concede I havent even really looked into it ive seen some screens n stuff but Nintendo killed themeselves for me long ago

Ninentndo consoles just tend to have cartoon graphics types, you know what I mean by this perhaps not as much in the GC but the 64 sure as hell did and thats what killed it for me. And Ive never been a Ninento fan since, the Super Nintendo was about the last console I ever owned, all PCing from there.

Thats right XBOX have HDD. What the hell can you do with a HDD On them anyway? Does that mean no memory cards?

Okay..I won't push it. If you're not a Nintendo person, you're not a Nintendo person. But let me say 2 more things:

In the above quote, you have a point. The N64 was very cartoonish and thats why I never bought one. I thought the N64 was garbage for the exact reason you said: too cartoonish. But the Gamecube isn't cartoonish anymore. I mean, you'll have cartoonish in games that WANT that look (ie. Sonic, Mario, etc), but thats about it. I just bought Resident Evil and thats so gory and lifelike its not even funny. The upcoming Eternal Darkness will also be like this. Theres a bunch of other "realistic" games released as well. The Gamecube is not only cartoonish and just for kids.

As for load times, its the shortest I've ever experienced. All the games I have load so fast that on average its about a 2 or 3 second wait for main screens. During gameplay, loading is either non-existant (Luigi's Mansion, Resident Evil, some others) or about 1 to 2 seconds.

At any rate, thats all I'm gonna say. If you're not a Nintendo person, thats cool, no problem. But at least try the Gamecube..rent it or something..don't hold it up against what you saw with N64 because its honestly not a fair comparison. Gamecube rocks, and I'm glad I bought one. :)

Originally posted by andrewfee

shorter loading times between levels, bigger levels

Damn, have you played Halo? The loading times are immense. I suppose it's worth it though.

as for the other games, Especially Amped, they are worse then PS2 and that's saying something.

Loading times on my PS2 ****ed me off so the Gamecube and it's almost total lack of loading time was very impressive.

But like Spyder said, people are just Nintendo people usually and some people are not :ermm: .

Sounds cliche, but try them all, see what you like best.

Originally posted by username

nice to see people posting good advice without the fanboyism

xBoX SuX0rs!!

gaMecUbE r0x0rs!!!!!

ahhh, the thread doesn't quite feel complete without something like that ;)

i ufcking hate playstation 2

its stupid looking it looks like a big rectangle heater and its gay and lame and whoever ownz one doesnt know **** about video games or consoles! :D

Originally posted by Dazzla

xBoX SuX0rs!!

gaMecUbE r0x0rs!!!!!

ahhh, the thread doesn't quite feel complete without something like that ;)

lol well, personally I could have done without it :D

Originally posted by Spyder

As for load times, its the shortest I've ever experienced. All the games I have load so fast that on average its about a 2 or 3 second wait for main screens. During gameplay, loading is either non-existant (Luigi's Mansion, Resident Evil, some others) or about 1 to 2 seconds.

Except for Simpsons Road Rage, that game makes me so mad. You can't even restart a level without waiting at least 10-15 seconds for the load. Agent Under Fire loads better than Simpsons, oh well. The others load in no time at all, thankfully.