MySQL on Neowin: what are the problems?

From an article on mysql.com

Slashdot utilizes four MySQL databases: a four-gigabyte, four-CPU primary database that performs most of the data reads and writes, another for replication, one for static content and another for back-up. MySQL handles about 360 queries per second, running on Intel hardware with the Linux operating system. "I have been using MySQL for a number of years, and I continue to be amazed at how well it scales, noted Aker.

So what are the problems with MySQL on Neowin?

slashdot is run over 10 servers, they spread the load, the database server has 4 cpus, and 2gb of ram, it is very fast. Neowin is run on one server, both web and database coming from the single 2cpu, which is no where near as powerful as what slashdot use.

Also going on the fact that slashdot help to fund the development of mysql, they know exactly how to optamize it, where as i cant say i do, i have spent absolutly ages getting it as best as i can, but i have got no chance at getting it 100% optamized.

Basically it comes down to the money, slashdot pay for 10 servers, hosttyme donate one server to us.

Thats basically the problem, mysql cannot handle big loads, unless its running the kind of setup seen on slashdot

Tingle

PS, info on slashdot servers:

http://slashdot.org/faq/tech.shtml#te050

I thought I might be in for a thrashing :old:

Tingle's repaired post:

slashdot is run over 10 servers, they spread the load, the database server has 4 cpus, and 2gb of ram, it is very fast. Neowin is run on one server, both web and database coming from the single 2cpu, which is no where near as powerful as what slashdot use.

Also going on the fact that slashdot help to fund the development of mysql, they know exactly how to optamize it, where as i cant say i do, i have spent absolutly ages getting it as best as i can, but i have got no chance at getting it 100% optamized.

Basically it comes down to the money, slashdot pay for 10 servers, hosttyme donate one server to us.

Thats basically the problem, mysql cannot handle big loads, unless its running the kind of setup seen on slashdot

Tingle