Fighting a Speedy Ticket!?

I am going to the justice of the peace tomorrow to fight a $120 speeding ticket! I was told that they won't erase the points I received, but there is a very high likelihood of my monetary fine being reduced.

Has anyone gone thru this and have some tips or hints to give me? What should I say as my explanation?

I was driving 25 over the limit on a 80km/hr highway. I was going home for a family turkey dinner driving a friend's car (which I will explain I was not used to driving).

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Whats there to fight? You were speeding, plain and simple. Its not like it was a mistake that you got pulled over or anything. I can understand where you are coming from, but I don't see it going anywhere. :/

I don't know what Canada's policy but here in the U.S you have to pay the ticket before you can challenge it. Its an awesome policy. Then you go to court where you don't stand a fighting chance pleading your case before the judge.

If you were going that fast, just take it, you know you were doing some reckless driving. You can try fighting it, but its an uphill battle.

Yeah...you might be out of luck on that one. 10-15 over you might be able to get lessened, or take driving school instead of getting a fine and points. 25 over is probably not going to be looked nicely upon.

Edit: What's the current fine?

I don't know what Canada's policy...

585224125[/snapback]

The policy is that I still plead completely GUILTY, I just give a reason for my actions and the court may be sympathetic to a $3000 per semester University student by cutting the fine down a bit!

Which highway where you on, because if you where on the queensway then I don't believe you for a second.

585224137[/snapback]

Highway 6 between Fergus and Guelph

If it's the first time you got caught (IE: You're not in the same judge's face every week) then you should be okay. Just go and say that you are sorry and weren't used to the car, and that you would greatly appreciate any mercy they can afford you. Say it won't happen again.

Works all the time here in South Carolina. At least 75% of the tickets get at least a half reduction.

Oh, BTW: Metal_Urbain, it depends on the state you live in. Here, you can show up for your court date and they might reduce it. However, you have to have the money to pay the ticket on the spot. Once they "sentence" you, it's time to pay up. So you have to bring enough money for the entire thing just in case they don't reduce it.

Maybe you could be lucky and the cop doesn't show up because he is busy. You get away without not guilty. Other than that, you can't dodge it.

Yeah...you might be out of luck on that one.  10-15 over you might be able to get lessened, or take driving school instead of getting a fine and points.  25 over is probably not going to be looked nicely upon.

Edit: What's the current fine?

585224133[/snapback]

Thank you very much, but I have been driving for 5 years without a single ticket, took the complete Graduated licensing system, took drivers training! Will there by no mercy to a starving University student?

The fine was $120

so let me get this straight, you were driving on the highway which had a max speed of 50MPH (80km/h)

and the speed you were traveling at was 65MPH

thats crazy! avg highway speeds here in the US are 60ish, you could try fighting it, don't know exactly how canada's policies work

What do ya mean I deserve it? :angry:

585224120[/snapback]

The speed limit is the law, you were going over the limit therefore you deserve to be fined. I know not everybody that speeds gets caught and fined, but those that do get caught and then moan about it should just deal with it. You broke the law, pay the fine and carry on with life.

I dont think you guys understnad me!

Yes this is the first offence i have EVER been caught for! (my drivnig record was perfect)

I am not trying to get off scot free. I AM GOING TO PLEAD GUILTY! The was no quaetions about it, I was speeding...plain and simple!

I just want to judge to show some compassion and reduce the fine a little so that I can still afford to pay my tuition the next day! There will be no cop, just me and a justice of the piece rep.

It is not a full out trial since im pleading "Guilty with an explanation"

I talked to the justice once just say you were the only one on the road and that you know you should not have been speed and are sorry but if you get these points then your insurance will jump and you can barely afford it as is. You should be able to get knocked down by 10km to 15 (no points $50). Just make sure you give the impression that you will definatly be watching your speed in the future.

edit: i was doing 135 on highway 9. cop knocked it down to 129 and jp got it down to 110km/h. from 6 points and possible licence suspened to 3. That was when i as stupid (the road was totally empty and there is no chance of pedestrians so no one give me sh*t. also now i try to keep speeding to 15 over max.

no offense, but you were speeding. Pay the ticket and move on. Just cause you were the only one on the road doesn't give the permission to speed.

Thank you very much, but I have been driving for 5 years without a single ticket, took the complete Graduated licensing system, took drivers training!  Will there by no mercy to a starving University student?

The fine was $120

585224163[/snapback]

I was in no way trying to assault your driving ability, but when I got a ticket for running a temporary stop sign (One of those flip down ones), in a school zone no less, though it was a good 20 minutes before school let out, I got them to allow me to take some 8 hour course to get no points or fine. It was just a blow off thing where we were just forced to listen to this guy. No test or anything. Just had to show up and not sleep.

I talked to the justice once just say you were the only one on the road and that you know you should not have been speed and are sorry but if you get these points then your insurance will jump and you can barely afford it as is. You should be able to get knocked down by 10km to 15 (no points $50). Just make sure you give the impression that you will definatly be watching your speed in the future.

585224190[/snapback]

That is exactly what I was asking for! Thank-you! And yeah I know that my points are insurance aren't going anywhere but up!

Thanks!

I just want to judge to show some compassion and reduce the fine a little so that I can still afford to pay my tuition the next day!

585224183[/snapback]

I'm sorry...but $120 is not exactly going to rob you. If fines for speeding weren't detrimental there wouldn't be a big deal about getting one. The fine is supposed to be an inconvenience. There are always student loans you can get...that excuse won't fly.

road speeds in canada are bogus anyways. highway 400 and 404 should be 120 not 100 401 can be tight so 100 fits it. and all the 80 zones should be at least 90. i never speed in residential areas because then there is a safety concern but all these self-righteous people attacking you for speeding is retarded. I have driven to guelph (grandma lives there) and the roads are almost always empty and in good enough condition to be doing at least 100.

edit: good luck fighting the ticket.