[review] griffin powermate

i'm writing this review not because someone requested it, i just wanted to share the fun with you :)

product: griffin powermate

product url: http://griffintechnology.com/products/powermate/

software: http://griffintechnology.com/software/soft..._powermate.html

blue0043yo.jpg

PowerMate

USB Multimedia Controller & Input Device

PowerMate is the coolest volume knob your computer has ever seen - but it?s so much more. You can use it to edit home movies or scroll through long documents or create your next audio masterpiece. How can PowerMate be this cool? Because it?s an assignable controller that you can program to do anything you want, in any

application. Customize it to your needs and go wild!

Made of high-quality machined aluminum, PowerMate feels like a solid volume knob pulled right off the front of

a world-class stereo. Its heavy weight and tactile feel are a welcome departure from typical plastic USB peripherals.

PowerMate functions beautifully as a convenient volume knob and mute button for music listening on your PC or Mac. But that?s just the beginning of PowerMate?s possibilities. Edit movies just like the pros with PowerMate functioning as your very own Jog/Shuttle wheel. Spin PowerMate to scroll through footage and push the

integrated button to cut out unwanted pieces. Use it in audio production to jump from track to track, adjusting volume levels as you go. PowerMate makes editing anything from home movies to your next demo a breeze. It evencomes preset to work with iMovie, FinalCut Pro and GarageBand right out of the box!

But the real power of PowerMate is that it?s programmable. You can quickly and easily program it to execute any Key Command, in any application. Program PowerMate to scroll through long Microsoft Word files and save your document when you push its button. Set PowerMate to scrub through songs in sequencers and music apps. Use PowerMate wherever and however you want to make your life easier. Save as many unique settings as you want, PowerMate will remember them all.

PowerMate

Features

Pump Up The Volume

PowerMate is the coolest volume knob your desk has ever seen. Crank up your MP3s and CDs. Then with a push of its button, mute your music to answer the phone and handle the complaints.

Make Movies With A Twist

Edit your video masterpiece with your very own Jog/Shuttle wheel. Use PowerMate to scroll through and trim unwanted footage with the push of a button.

Touch And Glow

Cool blue light glows underneath the PowerMate, showing you visual status of what you?re controlling. Turn the volume up ? the glow gets brighter. Push mute ? the light turns off. Coolest of all, it pulses hypnotically while your computer sleeps.

Take It For A Scroll

PowerMate is the fastest way to scroll through long text documents, web pages and spreadsheets. With a flick of the wrist, you get to the ?bottom? of the story in record time.

Spin Control

PowerMate is an assignable controller. That means you can program it to do anything* you want ? in any application. Program the wheel to scroll your email, set the button to switch to your browser. Customize it to your needs and get wild.

* Any key-command combination. That means if your keyboard can do it, PowerMate can do it, too.

so much for the infos provided by the offical website. but i want to give you a personal impression and some

detailed feedback about this funky little gadget.

i got mine about one year ago knowing it was a gadget but knew almost nothing about its features. anyway, it comes with a driver cd, plug it in, install done. viva usb!

the software for osx comes with alot of preset functions since this product was orginally developed for osx.

the windows version only has 3 presets, but it's easy to add functions yourself. for example, i use it with itunes to mute, stop, fwd or rewind songs or just skip/jump to the next song.

same with video programs/players such as media player classic: play, stop, pause, fullscreen, fwd/rewind.

use it to scroll under firefox, or as tool under photoshop to magnify your workspace.

setting up teh powermate: screenshot0401200511fj.jpg

available in two colors: aluminium and as limited black edition.

my resume:

well it's a gadget, it's not really needed. but hell, it's one friggin funky tool to use. note: you cannot use it as a mouse, it's a knob with a shiny blue led. i love its functions. if you really want one, get one.

they're for sale ($5 rebate) right now.

additional reviews: http://griffintechnology.com/products/powermate/reviews.php

powermate0024qo.jpg

It's not exactly a volume knob, although I treat it that way (prolly the best damn volume knob you could buy!) It's a cute lil controller that you can assign anything to (so long as it's within the boundaries of the software) and my experience with it so far has been awesome. I got this lil thing quite a while ago and I still use it for music. It's awesome to use when reviewing and you want that precision touch. Better software would've been nice tho, instead of a black version.

Cheers

It's not exactly a volume knob, although I treat it that way (prolly the best damn volume knob you could buy!) It's a cute lil controller that you can assign anything to (so long as it's within the boundaries of the software) and my experience with it so far has been awesome. I got this lil thing quite a while ago and I still use it for music. It's awesome to use when reviewing and you want that precision touch. Better software would've been nice tho, instead of a black version.

Cheers

585232758[/snapback]

are you using it under max os(x) or windows? if it's windows...care to share your setup/config for it?

are you using it under max os(x) or windows? if it's windows...care to share your setup/config for it?

585234574[/snapback]

I'm using it under windows, and I sure can share the files. I'll get em for you when I get the chance. It'll take a couple days but you'll see em here eventually.

:ninja: Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet i'm not the only one with one of these bad boys. I actually have two. One on my studio mac and one on my gaming pc ( glorified itunes controller lol, but i had the extra one)

The blinking is one of those random things that shouldn't be entertaining. of course i keep my blinking for no reason at all. but i use the slow fade in and out.

Will this work with Reason 2.5? Hopefully someone else here uses Reason..

585323251[/snapback]

Yes this will work with reason.

You can assign any function to it you want.

: )

• 9 years later...