Windows XP SP2 TCP/IP "Patch"

Dont know if this was posted yet....but either BitDefender or Panda Antivirus online virus scanners are detecting lvllord's patch .exe file as a "HackTool".....I dont have the knowledge to rip it apart and investigate further though....Im guessing maybe MS just paid them to flag it as a "HackTool" to scare the "newbies" of the internet to remove the "HackTool" from their hard drives though.

It doesn't detect the modified tcpip.sys as a virus tho, just the EXE.

BTW, I have mine set to 50, via that patch, and i still see the occasional TCPIP warning/error about hitting the limit. But I usually have a bunch of torrents in que at the same time.

Agreed. This topic has been beaten to death.

Unpinned

586227889[/snapback]

No. Really?

Hey, John...just to change the subject...did you once go by gameguy? Seems to me your response to me on the first page of the this thread was given me by gameguy.

No.  Really?

Hey, John...just to change the subject...did you once go by gameguy?  Seems to me your response to me on the first page of the this thread was given me by gameguy.

586742293[/snapback]

Yes, I was previously gameguy on Neowin. I changed my name earlier this year, in May, IIRC :yes:

• 7 months later...

A friend of mine for 12 years recently has been having emule and bittorrent problems. He is a heavy user of both. The problem has been ongoing p2p problems for the past several weeks.

I am not talking about slowdowns, apparently emule would just stop tranferring, and when this occurred when his system was also recieving a large number of 4226 messages. The instant he applied the patch and rebooted all his problems dissappeared.

Over a month ago he executed something with his AV turned off and got infected with a virus which loaded his system was loaded with spyware.

Since then his system has been regularly scanned with Avast, Adaware, Spybot and several online scanner, has automatic updates enabled, uses Zone Alarm and is behing a firewall.

No 4226 errors did occured at the time of the infection. It only started recently his p2p traffic dramatically increased.

(BTW the guy didn't lisetn when I told him to keep his OS partition small because he was affraid he would run out of room, so he made it big, then he started storing downloads on it. So now he can't backup because the partition is too large and won't restore because his backup is old and would erase his downloads.

I really want him to clean up his C: drive and restor from a backup no matter how old because I just don't trust systems once they have been infected.

But his isn't willing to do this just in case.

)

--

I myself use emule but only get 5-20 4226 warrning a month. So I haven't patched my system.

I am thinking that either heavy p2p users (5-10 bittorrents + emule) run into problems which can be fixed by this patch,

OR

Something is wrong with his system that all those virus/adware scans didn't catch and that applying the patch is only treating the symptoms and not the root causes.

---

Anyone have a similar P2P problems that were also dratically fixed by applying the patch?

Anyone have any theories on what could be wrong with his system that wouldn't show up on his malware scanns but would interfere with p2p traffic and result in excessive 4226 warning?

If so how could I detect these problems and then correct them?