UT2K3 with a voodoo 2?

hey guys you think ill be able to play unreal 2003 with my pentuim 2 350, 160mb ram with voodoo 2 machine?

i already played RTCW and all other quake 3 powered games!! so if i take the graphics level right to the MINIMUM you think it will work?

if you are serious, highly doubt a voodoo card will run UT2003, just check some of the video cards scores in the unreal tourture test http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1580 the slowest card at 640x480 is the Geforce2 MX200 which manages all of 13 fps, and i know from personal experience that the mx200 dwarfs even the voodoo3 in 3d capability (it may even beat voodoo4/5 speeds but i could be terribly wrong). and this 13 fps is managed on a 1.7GHz AMD chip...

DUDE! I think its time for an upgrade... Got an AGP port? Got 80 quid? get a geforce 4 mx 64mb ddr... not the best graphics card but it will be fast in ur pc and will handle UT2003 on the minimum settigns... believe me unreal doesnt run the now ****e 3 year old quake engine... this baby stresses geforce 4 ti's and im guessing only the soon 2 be released geforce 5's will run it quickly...

me gonna get a new pc now hows this?

p4 1.9ghz

256 ram

40gb

64mb geforce 2 mx

dvd 16x

cdrw 24 speed

all this for ?400 not bad eh!!

and when the new maxtor comes out here in england ill get that and put it in!! not bad eh

Your "new" system is already outdated, sorry to be so honest (except for the processor and the DVD). Consider yourself buying a good monitor, 512Mb RAM and a better graphics card. You will thank yourself in the future.

Honestly I am already thinking that my 512MB of RAM is not enough.

the processor is alright, not the best choice, but alright.

Hard Drive space could be larger, but it depends on what you do.

certainly not a gf2 mx, if you are on budget, I would advice getting a gf4 mx over a gf2 mx. heck, get rid of the p4 and get the alternative ;) to get a better vid card (important!)

16x DVD is good.

24x is quickly becoming old too. Though it's still fast. (got one myself)

And as for the initial question... well, let's see, if I remember correctly, last year I ran a personal 3D Bench comparing a Voodoo 3 and a Geforce 2 Pro... the result was quite a sight.

Overall the gf2 pro is something approx ~2000% quicker than the Voodoo 3. (TnL really really helps) That should really give you an idea, shouldn't it?

Originally posted by Stingray

Your "new" system is already outdated, sorry to be so honest (except for the processor and the DVD). Consider yourself buying a good monitor, 512Mb RAM and a better graphics card. You will thank yourself in the future.

wtf....a p4 1.9ghz, 256 ram, 40gb 64mb, geforce 2 mx, dvd 16x cdrw 24 speed is not that bad....actually not bad at all.

Some people on this board need to get a life...

it's pretty good, i agree ... except for the videocard. geforce 2 mx? if you want to play games like UT2 you will need at least a GF3. your best (and cheapest) bet will probably be the GF4 MX, but if you can find a GF3 Ti 500 for about the same price you might want to go with that one instead, as it outperforms the GF4 MX.

good luck, and i hope you'll be able to play UT2 reasonably well. i just ordered a completely new system so that i can play UT2 (and other new games) well. :)

i dunno. even if those are the 'official' minimum requirements you can bet your ass you will need more. Tribes2 was officially playable on a p2 333 mhz and a first gen Geforce card. i could barely play the game with a system twice as good as that.

agreed. sometimes I think the people that actually set the min reqs are on crack or something. I mean, even if some people actually run the game with matching min req, it wouldn't even be gaming. it would probably suck so bad that the person won't even want to play it.

yeah thats true guys but ?400 for that system is not bad at all!!!and theres a magazine here in england that has given a preview of ut2k3 and they have stated the minimum specs for ut2k3:

p2 400

128 ram

32mb graphics card

minimum requirements are usually taken with a pinch of salt dudes... if uve seen the screenshots (the game looks totally awesome) a safe bet on a decent spec would be an athlon/duron @ 1Ghz. 256Mb RAM (DDR AND 512Mb would be even better) and i think a GeForce 256 (1st Generation) would prolly run it in low resolution... but due to the heavy use of DirectX 8.1 pixel and vertex shaders ur best bet would be at least a Geforce 3 Ti 200 to run the game at 800x600 or above....

Whaddya think lads?

l8rs dudes

dan

Originally posted by syphern

hey guys you think ill be able to play unreal 2003 with my pentuim 2 350, 160mb ram with voodoo 2 machine?

i already played RTCW and all other quake 3 powered games!! so if i take the graphics level right to the MINIMUM you think it will work?

u gotta be foking kidding me :s

Originally posted by syphern

yeah thats true guys but ?400 for that system is not bad at all!!!and theres a magazine here in england that has given a preview of ut2k3 and they have stated the minimum specs for ut2k3:

p2 400

128 ram

32mb graphics card

dude, either you're bull****ting us or that magazine is bull****ting you. there has been no official word from DE about the minimum requirements.

besides, you'd have trouble getting UT to run with those crappy specs, let alone UT2. p2 400? that will probably get you to the menu screen. if you wanna actually play you will need something better, trust me.

****, so now I have to buy a new system :(.

It won't run very wel on my PIII866-256Mb-Geforce 256 ddr. Guess I need at least a new Geforce.

Isn't there a 16 color or a wireframe mode in UT2k3 :p

Originally posted by crookram

it's pretty good, i agree ... except for the videocard. geforce 2 mx? if you want to play games like UT2 you will need at least a GF3. your best (and cheapest) bet will probably be the GF4 MX, but if you can find a GF3 Ti 500 for about the same price you might want to go with that one instead, as it outperforms the GF4 MX.

good luck, and i hope you'll be able to play UT2 reasonably well. i just ordered a completely new system so that i can play UT2 (and other new games) well. :)

A GeForce 3 Ti200 outperforms the GeForce 4 MX and it only costs around $20 more than the GF4MX.

To the guy getting the new system. You should consider getting at least a GeForce 3 Ti200. Stay away from MX cards as they are utter crap(obviously cause they are for the low end market) compared to Ti cards.

wtf....a p4 1.9ghz, 256 ram, 40gb 64mb, geforce 2 mx, dvd 16x cdrw 24 speed is not that bad....actually not bad at all. Some people on this board need to get a life...

To KILLA3D:

Whoa there, champ, relax... what I was trying to say is that if one is buying a new PC, he might as well think in future terms. The computer I labeled as outdated is a fairly good system by today?s standards... but not by 2003 standards. You got to think ahead. You know? Remember.... THINK???

You should consider getting away from computers... they?re eating up your brain.

ugh i think game engine is severly broke if thats case

CPU(s) AMD Athlon XP 2000+ 1667Mhz

Motherboard(s) ASUS A7V266-E (KT266A)

Memory 256MB DDR266 Crucial DDR SDRAM

Hard Drive IBM Deskstar 30GB 75GXP 7200 RPM Ultra ATA/100

Unreal Performance Test 2002 (Build 848)

1024 x 768 x 32 (Performance in fps - Higher is better)

ATI Radeon 8500 51.7fps

NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 500 48.6fps

NVIDIA GeForce3 41.0fps

NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200 36.0fps

NVIDIA GeForce2 Ultra 28.6fps

NVIDIA GeForce2 Ti 200 25.7fps

these framerates are not good and sure as hell aint gunna be playable with 20 players on server with spamm all over the place

you can hardly say thats a crap system

and whats it gunna take to get 100fps or near 80

2Ghz CPU and higher with NVIDIA's new card?

but for my standards constant 80fps is good and thats when all hell breaks loose in the game any lower just dont cut it for me :/

ahhhh and that

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1580&p=8

thats just rediculouse framerates :(