Looking for a good server distro

RHEL or CentOS.... they are the most used in the hosting industry!

• 1 month later...

I use Debian Squeeze on both of my servers, It's more streamlined than Ubuntu Server, yet you still get a great package manager.

• 1 month later...

if there was a good distro that had good in built integration for samba or so it easy to set it up with folder and stuff it will just work or if uses some way to get windows support that work as well but no freenas

Gento, Arch, maybe Debian or FreeBSD - definitely not Ubuntu Server (which shines only as a desktop distribution).

Care to explain? Been running an Ubuntu server since the 8.04 days and it's handled pretty much anything I've needed.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

nas4free is the 'updated' version of FreeNAS based off FreeBSD 7 (now 9). Had something like 182 days of uptime last I checked.

FreeNAS seems to have went in a terrible direction and FreeNAS 7 cant be upgraded to work with 8/9 easily, and its much more buggy from reading the forums.

If you want a super low-power 1-5 user capped at 100Mbit and USB drives for serving SD/torrenting/running some scripts I suggest a raspberry pi with raspbian. don't get much cheaper than that, also don't get much slower! the network throughput is terrible. likely better to buy a Wifi-N USB adapter and a usb hub.

• 8 months later...

considering the past, perhaps for you I would consider Centos.

I use,

Centos

Red Hat

FreeBSD

Gentoo (rare)

In server environments.

Either of the following would be good to use imo.

1) FreeBSD

2) Debian

3) SuSE

I never really messed around with BSD but from user-feedback and articles that I've been reading, it's obvious that BSD is the most secure thing to run on a server.

Debian is great cause of Apt. It has packages in the stable and testing mirrors that are 99.9% sure to work and you'll have strictly what you need. You install the base system and install anything afterwards with apt-get.

SuSE, well, it has a pretty installation that people enjoy looking at and it works. It's easy to setup and YaST isn't bad at all. Just make sure that the rpm's that you will be using will install on SuSE (sometimes they can be distro-specific if not mistaken).

But as far as linux distributions go, you could pretty much use almost anything as long as the package managment tool that it provides is reliable (don't need one but it sure makes life easy for admins). Apt and Portage are the two systems that I'd say are reliable as far as linux goes.

aren't the commands etc different in FreeBSD?

or the packaging commands...