Jump to content



Photo

Looking for a good server distro


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
109 replies to this topic

#31 Tarzan2k

Tarzan2k

    Neowinian

  • Joined: 11-May 04

Posted 05 May 2005 - 19:14

I'm using Gentoo on my two servers and it works extremely well! With grsec kernel and several security patches it can be even safer.


#32 mr_demilord

mr_demilord

    Neowinian

  • Joined: 04-May 05
  • Location: $HOME

Posted 26 May 2005 - 21:06

Debian

#33 Miuku.

Miuku.

    A damned noob

  • Joined: 10-August 03
  • Location: Finland, EU
  • OS: :: OS X :: SLES ::

Posted 26 May 2005 - 22:07

Of course this will steer into commercial satan worshipping and I'll be crucified on a cross but:

SuSE Linux Enterprise Server - if you're a corporate user like me.

Or alternative you can use the normal SuSE boxed product or FTP. With a little customization you can easily roll out servers that are both easy to administer and powerful enough to get the job done.

#34 deneb829

deneb829

    Resident One Post Wonder

  • Joined: 07-June 05

Posted 07 June 2005 - 17:52

Pretty much any of the Unix/Linux distros are good - depending on your needs. I think for a straight forward mail/apache with mods server, BSD is the way to go.

#35 soothsayer

soothsayer

    Neowinian

  • Joined: 07-July 04

Posted 07 June 2005 - 19:25

Isn't CentOS the same as whitebox?

#36 vetmarkjensen

markjensen

    Linux noob since Red Hat 5.1

  • Joined: 02-October 03
  • Location: Middle Tennessee
  • OS: GNU/Linux
  • Phone: Android and iPhone

Posted 07 June 2005 - 20:37

Isn't CentOS the same as whitebox?

View Post

Yes, as much as they are both Red Hat Linux clones (minus the copyrighted/trademarked logos and wording such as "Red Hat").

#37 Sipherx

Sipherx

    Neowinian

  • Joined: 13-August 04

Posted 15 June 2005 - 16:08

I use debian. but slackware is nice

#38 saerdna

saerdna

    Neowinian

  • Joined: 06-October 02

Posted 17 July 2005 - 12:38

debian with grsecurity and pax.

#39 Yvo

Yvo

    Certifiable Nut!

  • Joined: 04-January 02
  • Location: Renton, WA

Posted 05 December 2005 - 10:35

At my work we use FreeBSD on 90% of our boxes. The other 10% are running old versions of RH (7.0 & 8.0)or Debian 3.1


Thus in my order:
1. Debian
2. Fedora (Server only install, no GUI)
3. Slackware


My biggest pet peeve is that Linux distros need to follow a game plan and not try to be everything (unfortunately my #2 is trying to do that, however the community backing Fedora is huge). Thus trying to have Ubuntu, trying to run Apache, MySQL or PHP is just a joke.

#40 Folic

Folic

    Neowinian

  • Joined: 18-April 05

Posted 30 December 2005 - 03:35

Alright i just got a new laptop and i want to turn my desktop into my networks file server. I want it to be accessed by ftp only, i wanna be able to configure it locally, so i want there to be a GUI. So i was wondering what distro would you suggest? I know a good amount about linux so i'm not a complete linux noob.

#41 cork1958

cork1958

    Neowinian

  • Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Joined: 04-October 02

Posted 30 December 2005 - 03:38

Heck, you made it easy on yourself if you already know a good deal about Linux. I've been having all the fun of the learning curve for a few months now. Am really liking this Ubuntu. Click the banner in my sig.

#42 Folic

Folic

    Neowinian

  • Joined: 18-April 05

Posted 30 December 2005 - 03:41

I'm looking for more of a server linux, not like everyday use desktop.

#43 kingpunk

kingpunk

    KingPunk

  • Joined: 10-December 04
  • Location: Utica, New York, USA

Posted 30 December 2005 - 03:59

well buddy,

personally, and im admiting it once, and only once. im biased. i only like the best, and in linux, its Gentoo
and that is it.

however, if you're wanting a server distro, that is blazing fast, super secure, and is painless to get going (considering you're an experienced UNIX user, or are a very fast learner).. you want OpenBSD my friend.

OpenBSD, or Gentoo GNU/Linux.
(if you're wanting the speed/functionability of a *BSD, you could easily make the exception of FreeBSD, its great too, espically now that they've ported PF and a few other things over to it from OpenBSD.)

but thats just my two cents. props gee!
-KingPunk

#44 vetmarkjensen

markjensen

    Linux noob since Red Hat 5.1

  • Joined: 02-October 03
  • Location: Middle Tennessee
  • OS: GNU/Linux
  • Phone: Android and iPhone

Posted 30 December 2005 - 04:01

We have a pinned thread, just on this very topic, with people stating what distro they recommend for servers.
http://www.neowin.ne...howtopic=269495

#45 Folic

Folic

    Neowinian

  • Joined: 18-April 05

Posted 30 December 2005 - 04:01

I was thinking FreeBSD, or Debian.



Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!