Looking for a good server distro

For Debian, could i install the GUI, and then like apt-get like and ftp program?

Well if you have a GUI installed then you can use Synaptic (a front-end to apt-get) and point and click your way around system upgrades.

Likewise, you could install a FTP server (or client) via Synaptic (or apt-get if you prefer the command line).

[Threads Merged]

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I don't know what your experience level is, but you might want to look into Clark Connect, which is free for home use, and includes:

Internet Gateway

Firewall

VPN

Bandwidth and P2P Manager

Intrusion Prevention

Web and FTP Servers

Antispam/Antivirus

Content Filtering

File and Print Services

Data backup

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Very intresting. I'm currently using Ubuntu as a sever but I admit I'm a Linux Noob. I'm very intrested in trying Debain and FreeBSD. What exactly is BSD again? It's a form of Unix right? Sorry I'm not that educated in this area :p.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I was planning on installing win2000 server to muck around with ad/roaming profiles ect but i got told i should do it with linux instead so what distro(/s) should i look at?.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

For servers, Arch Linux is a good binary distro.

If you don't mind having a source-based distro and updating your server once in a while (and spend some time doing so, hence short downtime) then Gentoo would be another good choice.

In terms of freedom of choice avaiable for you to make, I'd have to say Gentoo is one of the best.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I recently installed Ubuntu Server and I absolutely love it. Very easy to deploy and maintain. It may not be as personalized as, say, Gentoo, but it is still awesome =D

• 3 weeks later...

we run several servers dedicated and whatnot our flavour of linux is centos which is definitely top linux distro out of most major ones i've found and tried for servers

For servers, Arch Linux is a good binary distro.

If you don't mind having a source-based distro and updating your server once in a while (and spend some time doing so, hence short downtime) then Gentoo would be another good choice.

In terms of freedom of choice avaiable for you to make, I'd have to say Gentoo is one of the best.

Agreed. I use Archlinux for two of my servers at home, and its fantastic. its VERY fast, even on my slower Celeron based server, it flies on start, Beats the redhat servers we have at work in terms of speed. Only thing you have to be careful of is to stay up to date with the news on the site. There could be an accidental bug in a package when you want to update, but other than that, fantastic Distro.

... Only thing you have to be careful of is to stay up to date with the news on the site. There could be an accidental bug in a package when you want to update, but other than that, fantastic Distro.

Sounds like a pretty significant setback to something as critical as a server. :ermm:

A lot of fairly serious Unix (Solaris) guys at my place of work use Ubuntu server in production and like it a lot...

Sounds like a pretty significant setback to something as critical as a server. :ermm:

Well, thats why with arch you have a choice by using Binary based packages, or Source. They have a similar system like PORTS on BSD. Just compile your own package, grabs the source and installs. Great system

I supose i was a little unclear about it.. Bug as in, installation bug (as in it wont install the package at all), not really a bug inregards to the application when the package is installed. There has never been bugs where a package Brings down a system, making your system unbootable or messing with other applications. Nothing that serious. (mind you i'v had that with RHEL at work.. and it was a nightmare)

mind you i'v never had a problem on my servers for many years with arch. Only bug I have encounterd is the package wouldnt install due to Symlink issues (as i mentioned above). Reading the main page shows you the work around.. to get it installed.

Or as i mentioned, just use ABS, arch build system and do it yourself. I still recommend it.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm getting ready to update my server (uses: vbulletin, mysql, php, perl). I have Redhat on it now but since they got into Fedora, I don't think I want to use that in my server.... any suggestions? I'm looking for something easy to maintain but strong in security. Thanks.

Managed servers on hosting companies use Redhat.

But dedicated linux boxes use CentOS, worth looking at that one, its easy to use and quite secure.

Managed servers on hosting companies use Redhat.

But dedicated linux boxes use CentOS, worth looking at that one, its easy to use and quite secure.

If redkahn hasn't figured it out since 2005, I don't know how much your advice will help. ;)