Photo

Getting a new car!

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

Poll: Which car to get?

Which car to get?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 TheDreamX

TheDreamX

Neowinian Senior

• 1,503 posts
  • Phone: Moto X

Posted 12 January 2005 - 00:05

I'm a college sophomore and my parents and I are looking into getting a car for the end of my second semester or before my first junior semester. I'm in a fraternity and need to drive some brothers around at times. I would also like to get off campus more. Getting to class is no problem without a car. Here are my current options...

My family owns a 2001 Honda Accord with all the luxories (2-door, moonroof, spoiler, 6-cd changer, sporty) and a pretty stock 1998 Chevrolet Malibu (4-door, basic sedan with no power). I could take one of them while my parents get a new car to replace whichever I take. I'm thinking of taking the Accord.

Another option would be my grandmother's 2000 Lexus ES 300. It's a very nice 4-door sedan with a little more luxories than the Accord and more power than the Malibu.

A final option is to buy a new, basic car (such as a Honda Civic) or a used car (my parents are looking at an Audi A4 for them or me).

My question is what car should I get for my situation? I am really good with vehicles, so don't think I won't take care of a luxury car like a Lexus. And yes, I know I'm spoiled :D

#2 cmove

cmove

Neowinian Senior

• 8,692 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 11:52

1998 chevrolet Malibu

#3 Toastyone

Toastyone

Hi-Yo Western Toast

• 6,175 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 13:35

Well I would get the Lexus but how many miles do they have? Are they all around 50,000, does one have a lot more than the others, I would get which ever has the least

#4 Amnesia888

Amnesia888

That's Right

• 375 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 13:39

Honda Civic :yes:

#5 OP TheDreamX

TheDreamX

Neowinian Senior

• 1,503 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 20:58

Malibu: ~60k miles
Lexus: ~35k miles
Accord: ~35k miles
By the way, thanks for everyone's help in deciding.

Amnesia888: Why do you say that? I have heard that they are unsafe. I do like them a lot, but If I was to get a Civic, why not take the Accord?

#6 Con

Con

Neowinian Senior

• 1,620 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 23:27

2000 Lexus ES 300 :cool:

#7 randy_tho

randy_tho

Neowinian Senior

• 1,549 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 23:32

The ES300 is basicly a Camry, right?

What engines do the Accord and Camry... I mean ES300 have? jk. :p

#8 NeoMasamune

NeoMasamune

Shinku........hadoken!

• 2,665 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 23:35

2001 Honda Accord

#9 gdodson

gdodson

Neowinian Senior

• 2,400 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 23:36

Get the Accord, Hondas last forever! Even after the body has rusted away to nothing, it'll still be running. :D

#10 randy_tho

randy_tho

Neowinian Senior

• 1,549 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 23:42

Yeah I'd probably go with the accord if it is black (Or other dark color) and has a manual transaxle with a V6.

#11 Mr.Evil

Mr.Evil

Neowinian

• 40 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 23:54

1998 chevrolet Malibu

View Post

id get the 05 malibu :yes:

#12 vincent

vincent

Neowinian Senior

• 21,227 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 23:59

IF you want a good luxury car, i suggest a 1992 Cadillac eldorado ( Touring coupe kinda rare)
I had one Back in california and i have to tell you that this car is top notch, If you can find one i highly suggest it. To me Lexus's are just another pokemon car being that there played out and are made by toyota :x , Cadillac defines automobile luxury
Posted Image
review 19992 Eldorado Touring Coupe
If you can get one with the Northstar system, your even that much more set :) good luck and tell me what you think about my choice. This car floats like a feather on the freeway and is soo damn quiet i had to listen to see if it was running when i was at red lights. The handling is superb even in rainy weather.
remember if you cant get a Touring Coupe edition dont worry about it then. only the Touring coupes are rare and yield a higher value in the kelly blue book.

Edited by ripgut, 13 January 2005 - 00:07.

#13 elfangor

elfangor

Neowinian

• 502 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 01:16

I was in the same situation as you a few months ago. My parents drive a 2000 Honda Accord and a 2002 Mercedes E-Class. I didn't want to take their cars because because I wanted a smaller and new car, since I won't have much time to take care of the car if something doesn't work, which is usually the case for the Mercedes.

I finally bought a Mazda 3 Hatchback. I know its a more unconventional choice, and it doesn't sound like what you would normally consider a good car. But I got it completely loaded (including navigation system) for a little more than $20000, which is a pretty good deal. It's a great little car, and all my passengers loved it. It's a pretty good college car.

It might not be the right car for you, but at least I would suggest you get a new car, which would hopefully minimize the number of problems and the amount of time you waste trying to get it fixed.

#14 OP TheDreamX

TheDreamX

Neowinian Senior

• 1,503 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 04:14

randy_tho: They are both V6 with ~175 HP. Also, the Accord is metallic green (dark).

ripgut: Hmm, that's pretty old and we already got rid of my 1992 Chevy Cavalier.

elfangor: I never looked into Mazdas. Thanks for the tip. I'll stop down the dealership this week to have a look!

#15 shockz

shockz

Neowinian Senior

• 19,593 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 13 January 2005 - 04:18

V6 Malibus have had problems with Gasket leaks.

GM engines in the SFI series (3100, 3400) have this problem.
This problem effects SFI engines from 96-2003.

So if you get the malibu make sure you ask the dealar about this problem.

More information: http://www.gm-v6lemons.com/ / http://www.geocities...ntake/index.htm (primarly for 3400 engine... Malibus are still effected even know they have the 3100)

I can vouch for this as we've had an Impala with the 3400 and it had the leak.
It's very costly to repair and if not caught early can destory the engine.

Oldsmobile Aleros with the 3400 V6 also have this problem (since I own an Alero this Is how I found out about the leak)

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!