Photo

What do you drive?

2103 replies to this topic

#2101 +Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,527 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:02

I just replaced the hydraulic clutch system in my pickup truck a week or two ago (1999 Dodge Dakota).  Pressure plate, throw-out bearing, and clutch pad were all good, but the master and/or slave cylinder started leaking internally so although it didn't lose fluid, it wouldn't completely disengage the clutch when the pedal was depressed so sometimes it was impossible to get it into gear without shutting the engine off.  $160 and an hour later I had the part installed myself.  Not a complicated repair, but I just bought the pre-filled pre-bled kit with both cylinders and a fluid reservoir and just replaced the whole thing so I wouldn't have to worry about trying to figure out which cylinder went bad, bleeding the whole system, etc.  Good thing is that the factory cylinders were plastic, but the replacements are cast aluminum with more rigid hydraulic hoses (Feel like they have a metal liner inside the rubber).

The master cylinder was the hardest part because I had to unbolt the vacuum chamber for my brakes, which required a few extensions and swivel sockets to get to the bolts, and slide it forward a few inches so I could wiggle the master cylinder into where it needed to be, then re-bolt it all back in place.

Having owned both a manual and an automatic, personally, I prefer a manual.

OMG now I wish I knew you about 8 years ago when I had my Misti Galant, a not correctly calibrated Thrust Bearing kept destroying my clutch plates, (at the time I didn't know this) Scrapped the Car, and have missed it ever sinse

#2102 +Wannes

Wannes

iCommand ⌘

• 9,298 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 16 July 2014 - 13:47

It's becoming more and more unique. Manual gearboxes are limited to certain performance cars, and lower end cars. Automatic gearboxes these days are extremely fast, and efficient, but there is something to be said when you are driving a manual. It's also a highly debated topic.

I work in the automobile business so I know how gooed automatic gearboxes are today but I always thought America hated manual. ;)

#2103 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,505 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 16 July 2014 - 14:10

I work in the automobile business so I know how gooed automatic gearboxes are today but I always thought America hated manual. ;)

I don't think it's a matter of hate. If everyone in the world had an option, I think 99% of the world's driving population would go with an automatic transmission. It's just easier to operate - pop the car into D (Drive), and go. Doesn't really get much easier than that. 

#2104 TDT

TDT

Firestarter

• 1,029 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 22:32

Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 136 HP  :wub:  :wub: It's a fantastic car, contrary to some opinions, it's the only car that I feel comfortable in, even after driving for hours. I tried about 15 different car models so far, even 2013-2014 models, but this is still my "weapon of choice". Great performance, great fuel consumption, even at this engine size. Spare parts are a little expensive, but if you know where to look, you can find them much cheaper.

EDIT: Wow, this is my 1000th post here  :laugh:

1010369_652774811463062_3541793830668546

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!