Photo

What do you drive?

2125 replies to this topic

#2116 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

• 926 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:24

Thank you for the compliment sir. I can vouch that these mods cost me no more than $200 tops. It would be an extra $150 for tinting in Van Nuys but they were gifted to me by my brother.

I got this car since as a first car, I've driven my mom's which is a '13 model and my buddy's which is the coupe and it fits my needs as a daily driver pretty nicely. The E350 is a lil high for my budget so this was a better option anyways and its a first car, I'm not gonna totally deck out right away I'll get bored hahaa. My next car is leaning towards a 435i Gran Coupe though since they got rid of the shift knob in the Benz line-up and I'm not totally happy with it personally..

Didnt the guys @ TopGear say that these budget cars would soil the name of Mercedes ?  That they didnt deserve the 3-pointed star ?

If it wasnt Top Gear, it was something I saw more than once online - they were saying if you absolutely positively feel you need to tell everyone you drive a Mercedes, and have to get the bottom of the barrel models - you dont need a Mercedes.
Personally, I like the LED lights & think it is a cool little car even if it is drastically underpowered.

#2117 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• 2,286 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:53

Also, if you drive a Chevy and the ignition switch just decides to shut off on its own, you can throw a manual into neutral and re-start it while you're rolling.  An automatic will not go into Park while it's moving, and the engine will not start if it's not in Park.  That's part of the reason all those people died from the faulty ignition switches I'd say.  I'm not dogging on Chevy, I'm just pointing out that a manual transmission gives you more manual control over how your vehicle operates.

Quite a few automagics start in neutral...

#2118 Sonne

Sonne

Gottes Kind

• 825 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:00

1991 BMW 318is

-M42, Cams, Headers, Chipped

-Cat Back Exhaust

-Bilstein Sport Shocks/Struts & Eibach Springs

-E36 Steering Rack w\steering shaft guibo delete

-Schmidt TH Line wheels w\ 195/50/15 rubber (tiny bit of stretch)

hTgVqJ5.jpg

#2119 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,588 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:05

1991 BMW 318is

-M42, Cams, Headers, Chipped

-Cat Back Exhaust

-Bilstein Sport Shocks/Struts & Eibach Springs

-E36 Steering Rack w\steering shaft guibo delete

-Schmidt TH Line wheels w\ 195/50/15 rubber (tiny bit of stretch)

Nice, I like your car very much! :)

Didnt the guys @ TopGear say that these budget cars would soil the name of Mercedes ?  That they didnt deserve the 3-pointed star ?

If it wasnt Top Gear, it was something I saw more than once online - they were saying if you absolutely positively feel you need to tell everyone you drive a Mercedes, and have to get the bottom of the barrel models - you dont need a Mercedes.
Personally, I like the LED lights & think it is a cool little car even if it is drastically underpowered.

The CLA has a huge price differential. Sure, it may "start" at $30k (good luck finding a base $30k car), but if you get the top of the line CLA 45 AMG with options, it gets to be in the low 70's!  :o That to me is way too expensive for a "baby" Benz. I'd rather have a C63 at that point.

The CLA and A3 to me are just not worth it - you're paying for the brand image. However, BMW has done something nice with the M235i (and upcoming M2). This to me has the most appeal for an entry level car- small, fun, and an actual driver's car. It is somewhat expensive though. 

#2120 Sonne

Sonne

Gottes Kind

• 825 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 21:22

Nice, I like your car very much! :)

Thank you, always nice to find a fellow German auto aficionado 

#2121 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

• 926 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 00:54

I agree on the new BMW.  The M2-235i  shows to be a little performer.  I swore never to buy a BMW after my mother's 850 was such a pile of junk.  Most of what I know about nicer cars comes from driving/riding in what my parent's had.  Sure I can read an article, watch a vid, but as far as really knowing the car, the subtle things that only owners know about - it is limited to a few brands.  Since they only owned 1 BMW - I would look again - I had a friend who was a mgr of a car wash & said he rarely saw a BMW that didnt have some problem or the Check Engine Light -  My father tended to get the same car(s) over and over again - always a 2 year lease -  but every once in a while he would come home with something different,

#2122 Sonne

Sonne

Gottes Kind

• 825 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:34

I'm on my third bimmer toy (have also had two MB's, 560SEC & 500S) and in my opinion the reliability of BMW motors is bar none, mind you this is pre the current turbo era. One thing I will say though is that 90's bimmers were a little plagued with electrical gremlins that would show up as CEL's, this has nothing to do with the motors because the M60 and M70 were both bullet proof and far better anything MB was pushing in the 90's.  

You parents should have known that buying a German V12 touring was going to be costly and if they did a little research before dropping the hammer they probably should have stuck with the proven M60 in the 840.

#2123 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

• 926 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:06

I'm on my third bimmer toy (have also had two MB's, 560SEC & 500S) and in my opinion the reliability of BMW motors is bar none, mind you this is pre the current turbo era. One thing I will say though is that 90's bimmers were a little plagued with electrical gremlins that would show up as CEL's, this has nothing to do with the motors because the M60 and M70 were both bullet proof and far better anything MB was pushing in the 90's.  

You parents should have known that buying a German V12 touring was going to be costly and if they did a little research before dropping the hammer they probably should have stuck with the proven M60 in the 840.

They dont research things like that - saw one, bought it. - and it wasnt the cost of the repairs - it was the fact there were so many.  I do find your comments interesting though - I was watching MegaFactories, or it was "how it was made" and they were talking to the design chief of BMW & even he commented how they dont have the reliability of some of their competitors but people like the cars regardless.... maybe he was talking about cars in the past & I didnt hear that part. - do you buy new or used ?

I will be getting rid of my G37 in a few months because I will be out of the country for a year.  But when I return, I will consider an M3/M4r.  I have a weekend car now but it is a little too violent as a daily driver & I want to keep the mileage low - so I will need something a little more practical.  My fiance says I look funny in a car and need a truck - so there is always that :D

#2124 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

• 3,299 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 14:39

Not sure if I've already posted this but I drive a 14 plate Dacia Duster now, love it :D 

My old car was a Ford Ka so my new car is slightly bigger! 

#2125 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• 16,294 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 15 August 2014 - 18:22

Slight topic edit: relaxed the image embedding rules a bit, since the OP rules are 9 years out of date. Feel free to post higher res images if you wish but keep the file size reasonable.

First car, have had it for three weeks. 2014 Mazda3 GS Sport (equivalent to s in the US?)

IMG_3129.jpg

#2126 2s2k

2s2k

Neowinian Senior

• 1,510 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:55

I daily drive my boss his 'old' 2011 530d now. It had about 126 000km  when i got it and will use it until the leasing ends in september 2015

It has some cool options like:

M-sport suspension

Hifi professional

Navigation Professional

Runflat tires

All black interior

Attached Images

• 20140618_211353.jpg