What do you drive?

2134 replies to this topic

#2131 Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

• 3,459 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:45

FINALLY!

Got my wife's Ford Taurus squared away today.

2006 Ford Taurus

3.0 litre V-6

171,000 miles

Have had one headache after another with this car.  Finally got it all up and running this evening.  Had to replace brake lines a week or two ago cause' some of them rusted out.  Then she wanted her drums painted purple, so I decided to oblige.  Well when I took one of the drums off I discovered one of the brake shoes was cracked in half, so I went ahead and replaced all 4 of the rear brake shoes (disc brakes on front).  Not only that, but when I took it out to test the replaced brake lines, I discovered that it had a new problem, a miss on one of the cylinders.  Based on its behavior I figured it was a bad coil, so I replaced the coil, and also replaced all 6 spark plugs because when I checked them before while diagnosing the issue, one of them was burned pretty bad (the mis-firing cylinder), so when I replaced the coil I replaced the spark plugs as well.

So today I replaced the coil, replaced all 6 spark plugs, replaced all 4 rear brake shoes, and painted her brake drums purple.  Just took it out for a test drive, and it's awesome, drives like a brand new car.

The new brake pads mounted, and the broken one in my hand.

broken-pad.jpg

First brake drum mounted after being painted.  I also painted the axle end-cap flat black to try and prevent the wheel from corroding/rusting to it.

drum-mounted.jpg

First wheel mounted after being painted.

final.jpg

#2132 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 14,859 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:05

FINALLY!

Got my wife's Ford Taurus squared away today.

2006 Ford Taurus

3.0 litre V-6

171,000 miles

Have had one headache after another with this car.  Finally got it all up and running this evening.  Had to replace brake lines a week or two ago cause' some of them rusted out.  Then she wanted her drums painted purple, so I decided to oblige.  Well when I took one of the drums off I discovered one of the brake shoes was cracked in half, so I went ahead and replaced all 4 of the rear brake shoes (disc brakes on front).  Not only that, but when I took it out to test the replaced brake lines, I discovered that it had a new problem, a miss on one of the cylinders.  Based on its behavior I figured it was a bad coil, so I replaced the coil, and also replaced all 6 spark plugs because when I checked them before while diagnosing the issue, one of them was burned pretty bad (the mis-firing cylinder), so when I replaced the coil I replaced the spark plugs as well.

So today I replaced the coil, replaced all 6 spark plugs, replaced all 4 rear brake shoes, and painted her brake drums purple.  Just took it out for a test drive, and it's awesome, drives like a brand new car.

The new brake pads mounted, and the broken one in my hand.

attachicon.gifbroken-pad.jpg

First brake drum mounted after being painted.  I also painted the axle end-cap flat black to try and prevent the wheel from corroding/rusting to it.

attachicon.gifdrum-mounted.jpg

First wheel mounted after being painted.

attachicon.giffinal.jpg

Confess, you're just posting this to make us all feel useless and worthless :p

#2133 Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

• 3,459 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:02

Confess, you're just posting this to make us all feel useless and worthless :p

Nah not really.  I've been taking all these pictures to share on Facebook anyway, so I figured I'd post them here in the "car" topic as well, :p

#2134 +mulligan2k

mulligan2k

Neowinian

• 730 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:10

Nissan 350gt - think of it as a 350z with two extra seats, although mine was sold in Japan with 'skyline' branding. Its also sold under the Infiniti arm of Nissan as the g35

I've swapped out the standard rear bumper for a replica of the 'ken style' rear, an option available at factory

WP_20140830_11_26_23_Pro.jpgWP_20131122_004.jpg

#2135 Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

• 3,459 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:31

Nissan 350gt - think of it as a 350z with two extra seats, although mine was sold in Japan with 'skyline' branding. Its also sold under the Infiniti arm of Nissan as the g35

I've swapped out the standard rear bumper for a replica of the 'ken style' rear, an option available at factory

Images snipped

Looks sharp, :-)