Finally got the maintenance sorted out. The dealer offered a plan backed by Ally for almost $4K for 5 years/75K miles. I wasn't keen to taking that on the spot so declined, especially since third party warranties can be a nightmare with exclusions (or so I hear). Found a good price at a MB dealer for the MB direct extended warranty. Paid a little under $3K to push me up to 7 years/100K miles bumper to bumper. Which is great as I learned that the Ally backed plan (VehicleOne) excluded almost all of the electronics in the car...
Seems like a good price for the insurance especially since I purchased a former rental car. Also nice to know OEM only parts will be used.
Glad you got it all sorted out, :-) I purchased a 3rd party extended warranty for my 2006 Ford Explorer, and then the throttle position sensor went out (random acceleration, or random dying, etc.). I never bothered actually "reading" the warranty, it just came as a package deal with the bank that financed the purchase, but when I tried calling to get that and a number of other small issues fixed over the years, I discovered that the extended warranty only covered the drive train (engine, transmission, differentials, transfer case, and drive shaft components). None of the electronics, body, suspension, frame, or anything like that was covered. Wish I'd paid more attention.
On a side note, I FINALLY got around to changing the valve seals on my pickup truck. I've been talking about doing it for a year or so and finally got up with a buddy of mine who has a shop air compressor and changed all of my valve seals. I've had a leaky one on cylinder 3 for the longest time that would cause a short puff of blue smoke on startup, and I've been talking about changing the valve seals for a year or so and finally got around to doing it. Also in the process of doing that, I tightened down on my rocker cap screws with a torque wrench set to the factory spec and that eliminated a slight "rattle" I've been hearing for the longest time that almost made the engine sound like a miniature diesel. One of the push rods probably had a thousandth of an inch of slop where it disengaged the rocker and would then "smack" it when it came back up, and by tearing it all apart to replace the valve seals and re-torquing everything to the factory specs, I eliminated that small amount of play.
I'm just really glad I got that one job out of the way before really cold weather hit, I was getting pretty tired of burning an extra quart of oil between oil changes. I would have taken pictures, but neither me or the guy whose shop I used had ever done it before, and I really didn't want to go taking pictures and videos of any screw ups that happened in the course of doing it for the first time. We ended up not having any issues except having to fanagle the little valve spring keepers back into position with an extendable magnet rod, which we expected because of the nature of how they work, but it was a really time consuming job (4-5 hours) and once I got elbow deep in my engine bay I didn't feel like digging out the camera to take pictures.