Best Cheap DVD Player ever

I'm sure a lot of people know of it or have one already but I just thought I'd express my love for this one particular DVD player I've had for a few years now.

The Apex AD-1110W

Little tiny player that packs a punch.

Plays the following:

CDR/CDRW/DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD+R/DVD+RW/DVD+R

/VCD/SVCD/DivX/JPG/MP3/WMA

One thing I just found out about it the other day, it has a built in PAL/NTSC converter.. this thing will seriously play anything you got.

Best part? It's $40

Iv'e had 2 Apex DVD players die on me...

585340289[/snapback]

That's the same thing with a lot of the cheap players. A few people get lucky and they last forever, but most people wind up having them die pretty quickly.

I dunno why Apex still sells their dvd player that cheap

I remember a couple of years ago they got suited by Sony because they never

payed to Sony the dvd technology patented by Sony...

dunno what's happened after that

Doesn't matter who makes them in my opinion. I had a top of the line Sony DVD player that crapped out on my after a year. It wouldn't even play CD's and I pampered it. Come to think of it, that's the second piece of Sony hardware that's crapped out on me.

Depends on what "cheap" is to you. To me the best cheap DVD player would have to be the Denon DVD-2200. Excellent picture quality and well-balanced colors with rich blacks. Also has very good sound and its ability to play SACD/DVD-A just makes it a plus! Now I know they have $100 players that can do SACD/DVD-A as well, but they use cheap audio DACs that sound like crap. Last time I checked, you could pick one up for about $200 online (retail is $599). When you weigh out price vs performance, this is one player that just cannot be overlooked!

I'm sure a lot of people know of it or have one already but I just thought I'd express my love for this one particular DVD player I've had for a few years now.

The Apex AD-1110W

Little tiny player that packs a punch.

Plays the following:

CDR/CDRW/DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD+R/DVD+RW/DVD+R

/VCD/SVCD/DivX/JPG/MP3/WMA

One thing I just found out about it the other day, it has a built in PAL/NTSC converter.. this thing will seriously play anything you got.

Best part?  It's $40

585339939[/snapback]

You mean to tell me that the DVD player I have had in my living room for over a year now has been able to play DivX and I have been converting my files to DVD all these years? *smacks self in forehead* :laugh:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...4999583-3975651

Starlogic Multi-region 2.1 DVD Player ?29 normaly now at ?24

seem pretty good players, plays alot of formats but not divx/xvid

i had a samsung dvd s224, it was pants died on me after 2 years, stoped playing everything even dvds!

brother had a samsung stero with a 3 disk changer in it. died after a year.

i've now got a jvc xv-n316s and i love it to bits. i think it was about ?80 from currys http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/130_181820.html

plays alot of formats.

svcd,vcd,dvd+r (mpegs on dvd+r as well)

mp3 on cdr and dvd+r

divx and xvid with ac3 on cdr and dvd+r

jpeg pictures. on cdr and dvd+r

all of this can be put in to folders as we:D :D

the only bad thing is not much outputs and the nav of folders can be a pain in the ass but never the less its still a great player

Starlogic Multi-region 2.1 DVD Player  ?29 normaly now at ?24

i had a samsung dvd s224, it was pants died on me after 2 years, stoped playing everything even dvds!

i've now got a jvc xv-n316s and i love it to bits. i think it was about ?80 from currys http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/130_181820.html

plays alot of formats.

mp3 on cdr and dvd+r

the only bad thing is not much outputs and the nav of folders can be a pain in the ass but never the less its still a great player

585422895[/snapback]

I bought that one for my daughter as a xmas present, was ?29.99, gone done again they must be getting short on that stock.

Tesco are doing them cheap now.

• 3 weeks later...
the best cheap DVD player would have to be the Denon DVD-2200. Excellent picture quality and well-balanced colors with rich blacks. Also has very good sound

585394281[/snapback]

Erm... I think it's your TV and sound system which determines if you have good picture / sound...

Not true. The dvd player also plays an important role in picture and sound quality. I didn't know this until very recently and will be looking into a better player than the progressive scan sony that I have now, lol.

Starlogic Multi-region 2.1 DVD Player  ?29 normaly now at ?24

plays alot of formats.

mp3 on cdr and dvd+r

585422895[/snapback]

The starlogic is great value for a multi-region player. Now its gone 5 quid cheaper

• 2 weeks later...
Erm... I think it's your TV and sound system which determines if you have good picture / sound...

585550872[/snapback]

Why don't you get an awesome TV and $10,000 speakers and then use a $70 "so-called" progressive-scan DVD player from Wal-Mart and see if your picture and sound is better than my system with my average HDTV and $3,000 speakers paired with a Denon DVD-2200 (which can be bought for around $300 now). I highly doubt you know anything about home theatre.