Creating Music

I'm starting to get really interested in electronic music composition, and I really want to start making some myself. The problem is, I don't know where to get started. The genre of music I want to make is electronic and I want to learn how to do it using only a computer (because at the moment I can't afford a MIDI controller/keyboard)

What software do I need? I've heard things about Cubase, Reaktor, Reason, and FruityLoops, etc. Could you point out some tutorials maybe, to get right into creating my first song? There have to be some pros around here, gimme some tips! :happy:

Thanks in advance,

Evdawg

Well I can tell you that good music without that midi controller/keyboard is gonna be tough and it gets old and repetitive extremely fast without those items. I've used Fruityloops quite a bit and I highly recommend you start with this program. Just make sure you got a soundcard (or a computer for that matter) that can handle it, lol. Making music can be quite taxing on the resources.

As far as learning how to use fruityloops. When you get it, even in the trial, there's extensive documentation and examples. They pretty much show you the ropes with that program without needing external references. Of course nothing teaches one better than experimentation and creativity :D

Good luck with your musical ventures!

Having programs like SoundForge and ReCycle are also helpful for manipulating your samples. Acid is another program to check into. But without a doubt I would say to play with fruityloops and rebirth and get familiar with how it all works and when you are able get your hands on Reason.

Are you on a windows computer or a Mac?

The available software for them is different.

My friend gave me an old *Legal* copy of guitarPRO for windows. (He bought their new version)

I just use Garage Band on my apple.

Though I use both software and physical instruments.

• 4 weeks later...

Running a windows system....3.4p4, 1gb ddr2, audigy2, etc.

i have adobe audition and the old cool edit96...woot!

I heard Reason was very nice. Anyone use it? Like for libraries and stuff? I suppose that is mainly what i need is the libraries of music. I'm not a huge fan of electronica, just because, yes, it does get repetitive, however, if there are orchestral samples out there.....

thanks for everyone's help btw....

Would These Programs be good for producing Hip Hop beats?

585537149[/snapback]

Hip-Hop beats are the only beats I make. All I use is ACID and SoundForge. Lemme know if you want a link to hear some of beats I've made

I've used Acid for the past 5 years and find it a nice way to compose (either with my own pieces or loops) It's grown up quite well in the past few years (Sony bought it about 18 months ago) There is a free 10 track version available at www.AcidPlanet.com as well as MANY examples of different genres and a number of mix contests come through Acid Planet as well.

Check it out, at least it will be a start

• 4 weeks later...

The best program I've found for Hip-Hop beats is Reason, but it's very tricky to learn, and quite expensive.

You might consider something like FruityLoops though. It's a lot easier to use and there is a Demo available.

The best program I've found for Hip-Hop beats is Reason, but it's very tricky to learn, and quite expensive.

You might consider something like FruityLoops though.  It's a lot easier to use and there is a Demo available.

585646493[/snapback]

I went straight from mixing music in a simple mp3 mixing program, to trying to produce in Reason 2.5, I can tell you form experience when you first use it you're clueless. But after a couple weeks of playing around, reading the manual for help, and looking at example projects its easy to get the hang of... its a very steep learning curve

But the thing is though, while you discover a lot of new things which you find quite neat at the start of your venture into Reason, you'll still be finding even neater things months later. Its packed full of features, and I havn't considered moving away form it yet. Been using it for roughly 8 months now.

I think it would for sure help if you've had experience with something a bit more lightwweight like FL though, your choice.

how much is quite expensive and where would i be able to get hold of reason?

Also is garage band suitable for hip hop beats.

585689678[/snapback]

Reason 3.0 came out recenlty, Reason 2.5 last time I checked (before the new release) was about ?280 and you should be able to order online or get form any good music technology store

Hmm...well, I started with Magix Music Maker (it was dirt cheap so I bought it...it has SEVERE limitations and I wouldn't recommend it to anybody). I then moved to Cool Edit (I hated this program aswell. It was decent, but just wasn't what I needed). I then got onto Sound Forge and it's great for single sounds, but I hate it for mixing sounds together. I then started using Sound Forge and Acid together. This is a VERY nice combo. Be warned though that acid likes to mess up the basslines you just did in sound forge (I have no idea why, but it flattens the peaks). I then went on to a bunch of programs at once, namely wavelab, cubase, reaktor and reason. All of those are nice programs and should be ideal for anybody. Now I have Pro-tools with a Digi 002 (full, not rack) and I wouldn't turn back. It's midi capabilities suck, but for recording and working with the audio itself, it's my favorite program. I also have Nuendo kicking around that I got recently, but haven't had the time to get too far into it for a while.

If you can't afford midi eqipment, then just download all the loops (make SURE they're royalty-free) you can possibly find. Loads of audio production magazines come with a bunch of good ones aswell. Then you can learn instruments and record your own, etc.

I should also mention I did the beta testing for fruity loops and some other loop beatmaking program (many years ago, can't remember it's name anymore). They were both horrible, horrible programs good for nothing mor ethan using when you want to hold a cypher. I keep trying all the new fruity loops, but it's still not good for anything more than just that...

I started off just making instrumentals for friends to rhyme to, then I moved to my own stuff. Now I'm building up a portfolio where I need to code a simple game with interactive sounds, I need to take a film clip and do my own audio to it, and of course I'll be submitting some music along with it. I've been recognised for my work, but I still need to go through all this in order to get my career on track. Schooling isn't even looked at when you go to apply for a job. All it's really good for is opening up some doors through the school's personal contacts. You can learn the rest on your own and through books.

If you want to do a good job and be serious you will spend literally weeks on a single track, and play sections of it a couple hundred times before you get it just right. Another warning, you can learn the programs, you can go to school for it and spend thousands of dollars, but if you don't have the ear to make things just perfect, you'll get nowhere.

If you're just doing it for fun, great, have at her and enjoy yourself. If you expect to do it as a career, expect a lot of difficulty and to be learning a few instruments, proper micing techniques, learning all the hardware you may need as well as software, learn to choose the right microphone for each situation, draw your own waveforms, edit sounds in many ways, mix all your sounds together, adn create the final project.

There's different approaches to the different kinds of sound work you're doing. Music is the easiest by far. Electronic music the easiest of any kind.