A List of Apps, Reviewed

this thread should be re-labelled "List of Windows Apps". other than that, it's a great list. i don't agree 100% but i did learn about some new software which i am currently checking out. thx slimey :)

1st...Piolet...

The current FINAL version is 1.0.5. BUT the current BETA version is 1.8.3. MUCH better than 1.0.5 in my opinion. Has CD burning and such. You might want to check it out and base your opinion on it. Its the best MUSIC ONLY NETWORK out there. You failed to mention that :). Just search google for "Piolet Beta"...you can even press the get lucky button on google and you will be good :).

2nd...WarezP2P...same network as Ares...give it a test. It has the same software update rate as Area from what I see, and it shows network stats and has some cool features like CD burning. Plagued by the same cydoor adware built in though...I use it though, regardless.

3rd...Direct Connect. you should mention how you really need to share a lot to ultilize the full potential of the network. And now the network hubs are plague by feds and a lot of people have been sent letters about copyright infringement since what you share is easily seen.

4th...what about eXeem Lite? you give that a run?

5...if you want to compare against Piolet for the MP2P network, there is RockItNet 1.0 (not suggested you install this since it comes with a BOATLOAD of spyware/adware), and Blubster 2.50 (there is the clean version by Dr. Damn which has no adware/spyware but it hard to find nowadays, and then theres the official version which has psyware/adware)

6...isnt there another ED2k client, aMule?. What about OverNet?

7...WinAMP, are you joking? Why would you use WMP over WinAMP for music when there are ridiculous amount of plugins for WinAMP which are unique and improve music quality? Especially one called Enhancer 0.17, an oldie but a goodie. It much smaller than WMP in memory, besides supporting more types of music than WMP. And if it isnt supported, there is probably a codec available on WinAMP's website. I dont use WinAMP for movies, cause I dont like the player, just music.

As for the rest of your categories...I hope you add the following to your list:

AV: Kaspersky, Avast, AVG, FSecure...

IM Clients: gaim, IM2 (www.im2.com), each of the official clients

Extraction: WinImage, 7zip, WinACE...

1st...Piolet...

The current FINAL version is 1.0.5.? BUT the current BETA version is 1.8.3.? MUCH better than 1.0.5 in my opinion.? Has CD burning and such.? You might want to check it out and base your opinion on it.? Its the best MUSIC ONLY NETWORK out there.? You failed to mention:)hat :).? Just search google for "Piolet Beta"...you can even press the get lucky button on google and you will b:)good :).

2nd...WarezP2P...same network as Ares...give it a test.? It has the same software update rate as Area from what I see, and it shows network stats and has some cool features like CD burning.? Plagued by the same cydoor adware built in though...I use it though, regardless.

3rd...Direct Connect.? you should mention how you really need to share a lot to ultilize the full potential of the network.? And now the network hubs are plague by feds and a lot of people have been sent letters about copyright infringement since what you share is easily seen.

4th...what about eXeem Lite?? you give that a run?

5...if you want to compare against Piolet for the MP2P network, there is RockItNet 1.0 (not suggested you install this since it comes with a BOATLOAD of spyware/adware), and Blubster 2.50 (there is the clean version by Dr. Damn which has no adware/spyware but it hard to find nowadays, and then theres the official version which has psyware/adware)

6...isnt there another ED2k client, aMule?.? What about OverNet?

7...WinAMP, are you joking?? Why would you use WMP over WinAMP for music when there are ridiculous amount of plugins for WinAMP which are unique and improve music quality?? Especially one called Enhancer 0.17, an oldie but a goodie.? It much smaller than WMP in memory, besides supporting? more types of music than WMP.? And if it isnt supported, there is probably a codec available on WinAMP's website.? I dont use WinAMP for movies, cause I dont like the player, just music.

As for the rest of your categories...I hope you add the following to your list:

AV: Kaspersky, Avast, AVG, FSecure...

IM Clients: gaim, IM2 (www.im2.com), each of the official clients

Extraction: WinImage, 7zip, WinACE...

585393707[/snapback]

1. i've tried the beta, search back page news, i even posted it there when i found it, but i didn't want to get some ppl lost, remember this is ongoing and if 2.0 comes out without spyware, then i'll give it a try, don't worry, but ares OWNS

2. heard of it, never tried it.. will try tho, kinda lame name lol

3. yes, forg:pinch:ention that :pinch: expect an update sooner or later

4. yes i did, lite just has the adware removed, although 0.20 doesn't have the ads yet

5. yes, but piolet is the newest and no point of getting more infested spyware p2p apps, keep it clean

6. overnet=edonkey, will add that and eMule is the best never heard of aMule is that not a typo?

7. i like having one media player, that's just my thing

rest of the categories will be coming soon, exams are OVER!

Thanks for all your work on the list :)

It would be very suitable on a web page since it's so long, with links to your mini reviews instead.

I like you're keeping them short and to the point so you can quickly browse it, and you do seem to have good ideas and a good sense of "what's out there", not ending up focused just with the most advertised stuff.

However, I personally prefer stuff like MPC + Winamp instead of WMP. ;)

Recovery

Ontrack Easy Recovery

http://www.ontrack.com/easyrecoveryprofessional/

Costs money (although in the older trial V6.00 version-it never expired...)

Excellent,proffesional, reliable, life saver, many options,also recovers from a format and much more

Restoration - file undelete utility

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/restoration.html

Free

simple easy, and extremly fast

i use it mainly if i have just deleted something - never used it for hardcore retrieval

Restores only one file at a time..

I read this expecting to learn a few things but it seems you have the same taste in software as me. With the exception of BitTornado over BitComet that is verbatim to what I have installed. Excellent guide.

p.s: wouldnt it be better if you note somewhere what you add between the updates??? would be easier for someone that already read the lot before

585430081[/snapback]

good idea, will do

Never Heard of x-setup will give this a go (Y)

585431947[/snapback]

you are missing out :D

can you check out AppRocket? :)

585460599[/snapback]

yup, might take a while tho

You don't need money to be biased.

585462240[/snapback]

very true, but i still don't see how exactly i can be "biased"