Bad standard-def reception

Ok, i have a 403t samsung 40 inch LCD. I have it hooked up via a Scientific atlanta 3000HD box. The HD channels look great, but i have a few problems. On ALL standard def channels, the image is grainy and the colors look like crap, on HD, its beautiful. Can anybody recommend a solution, or at least an explanation of why it happens. Also, on all of the digital boxes in the house, there are lines that scroll up and down the screen (like interference). It started happening when i plugged up my 5.1 system in the basement with the surround reciever and cable box. i have Charter if that says anything. if you need any more info, just ask. One more thing, I have a buzz from interference coming in on my speakers, i can hear it even at a reasonable level of volume, i think its called a 60 hz buzz. Whats wrong with my house!?!?!?!?!?

Well for your SD problem, you may want to try hooking up your box using the composite wires and switch your TV to the component inputs when you are watching HD programming. This is more wiring and a slight hassle, but the boxes, I believe give a better SD signal on the composite connections.

As for your other problems, it seems you have some poor electical lines in your house which are picking up interference. You may want to go to a local store and pick up a $40 AR Power Surge/Filter and hook you 5.1 up to it to see if it helps quiet things down.

well, i have an energizer ups+surge protector on all of the A/V quipment in the basement, and a surge protector or the lcd upstairs. They are both relatively good quality. Also, i have everything running as high def as possible, and run everything through Y Pb Pr, i'll try using composite for SD, i dunno if my cable box supports it, i might just use svid, because thats closer to composite

well, i have an energizer ups+surge protector on all of the A/V quipment in the basement, and a surge protector or the lcd upstairs.  They are both relatively good quality.  Also, i have everything running as high def as possible, and run everything through Y Pb Pr, i'll try using composite for SD, i dunno if my cable box supports it, i might just use svid, because thats closer to composite

585442873[/snapback]

Well I read up on the specs for the 3100 series and it says it has composite. I'm not sure why it would look bad through the component, but it is worth a shot.

As for your surge protector, you need to try a protector with a filter. In cases like these, it may make a difference. Pick one up from best buy, try it out. You have 30 days to return it. They'll try to sell you a Monster one, but just get the ~$40 AR one. Tell them you are using it for a small CRT and they'll leave you alone.

thanks, you're better than the audio pro that we pay :)

585442941[/snapback]

Lol, I'm just trying to come up with ideas to help you out. Good luck man and make sure to report back with an update.

I also have Charter Cable w/HD and the Motorola PVR with Moxi connected through component cables to my 50" Panasonic projection LCD and, like yours, the SD channels look like crap whereas HD look fantastic. I had Dish Network (without HD) before and the channels didn't look this bad. The only thing I have found is people have been putting in a Motorola Signal Booster and it has cleared up. I got one off of ebay and am waiting for it to see if it does any good.

The horrible SD TV Reception could also be caused by either:

1) Over-Compression by TV Stations/Your Cable Operator which in that case there nothing much you can do.

2) Sometimes if you use a splitter on the same line that the digital box cable feed is on, it may mess it up the picture. Try removing any add-ons that are on the same line as the digital box cable is. *ie Splitters, Signal Boosters, etc.*

• 2 weeks later...

I have a grainy SD reception as well. I tried using the S-video and composite cables from cable box to tv but that did not make any difference.

I think I have the same problem with SD receiption and my Mitsu 55" HDTV. What I found out is the standard def signal is sent in analog, converted to digital through the box and back to analog again and is finally sent through the component video cables. I have installed a splitter and am using the S-video input for SD. IMHO, the signal goes from horrible to watchable. About 30% better....

If you are watching Standard Definition programming on an HDTV then that is the problem.

HDTV's are great for HDTV programming but when you watch a Standard Definition show on it you can see all the graininess because of the high resolution of the TV. Ever try watching TV or even a DVD on a computer monitor? You get the same thing (although not as bad with DVDs). It's one of the main reasons I wouldn't buy an HDTV yet if I did have the money. Everything looks like crap BUT HDTV signals.

If you are watching Standard Definition programming on an HDTV then that is the problem.

HDTV's are great for HDTV programming but when you watch a Standard Definition show on it you can see all the graininess because of the high resolution of the TV.  Ever try watching TV or even a DVD on a computer monitor?  You get the same thing (although not as bad with DVDs).  It's one of the main reasons I wouldn't buy an HDTV yet if I did have the money.  Everything looks like crap BUT HDTV signals.

585561309[/snapback]

Um no, DVDs and video games look great as well :p

I think I have the same problem with SD receiption and my Mitsu 55" HDTV.  What I found out is the standard def signal is sent in analog, converted to digital through the box and back to analog again and is finally sent through the component video cables.  I have installed a splitter and am using the S-video input for SD.  IMHO, the signal goes from horrible to watchable.  About 30% better....

585559232[/snapback]

Removing the splitter may increase the signal quality cause as you split the line each time you're introducing more "noise" into the line hence degrading the picture quality.

Um no, DVDs and video games look great as wel:p:p

585566367[/snapback]

DVD's on a computer monitor not on an HDTV ... it was just an analogy. Standard Def is only 640x480 interlaced which is crap. The TV's upconverter (whatever it's called) has to be quality to make Standard Def look decent on 1920x1080 interlaced.