[Poll] Kde VS Gnome

Kde Vs Gnome  

879 members have voted

1. 1. Kde Vs Gnome

• Kde
    • Gnome
    • Other (please post)

I voted for gnome because I love the applications that come with gnome (at least with ubuntu).

But, my vote is sorta inaccurate because I use FVWM. I voted for gnome because I use alot of the gnome-apps and kde sucks :).

I voted for Gnome because I prefer it as a DE, it is simple and does the job pretty quickly. Imho KDE looks shiny and bloated, and I never liked it. The default Ubuntu Gnome theme also looks really earthy and I like it.

However, I just discovered pwm (like 2 hours ago lol) and I really like it. I realize it is only a Window Manager, but who needs a panel? :p

I would probably still use Gnome for general usage, but for my schoolwork (programming, or just looking at PDFs) I think I will use pwm.

For developing I much prefer KDE as it and the applications built for it have many features that just don't exist on the GNOME equivalents, and I find I can get complex jobs done considerably quicker. However, I've recently been using GNOME at work, even though it runs slower than KDE on my work machine, as I need some GTK apps running most the time and the PC I'm given isn't up to running GNOME and KDE apps simultaneously (thanks to my dumb university not giving postgrads even half-decent desktop machines). Luckily I can do my programming work at home, using my KDE box.

I've used KDE, Gnome, XFCE, all the Boxes, Enlightenment and I find myself wandering back to Gnome. Its the only one that seems to do everything that I need it to do. I like KDE, but I just don't see the need to customize everything that I possibly can. Plus as a Gentoo user I find myself confused as hell over the monolithic versus split-ebuilds.

I'm growing sick of Gnome. I've been using it religiously for a while, but it's growing annoying. I'm going to give KDE another spin and see how I like it. KDE is annoying to configure, but is a decent environment. I think Gnome hit the nail on the head when it comes to configuring things. KDE applications seem better integrated, and they have a more promising future with plasma and all the new KDE4 stuff. I'll post impressions of KDE later :p.

I've heard more about GNOME, but i've never used either...

i have a couple of questions on the subject, though...

1) which would be more compatible on an older computer?

2) which would be easier to use/get accustomed to?

3) how do you install them/which linux version should you be using?

any help would be appreciated

Gnome is by far better for more serious users.....kde is to cluttered for me ...i love the gnome setup

Speaking about a troll.

KDE is a totally different desktop environment, gnome ain't better then KDE. It's a personal preference.

It's better for you, but it ain't better generally