Photo

[Poll] Kde VS Gnome

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

Poll: Kde Vs Gnome (878 member(s) have cast votes)

Kde Vs Gnome

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 g-n-t

g-n-t

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 February 2005 - 06:16

KDE really needs to get its act together, a while ago I would have said KDE, but I'm definitely a GNOME guy now, KDE just seems too cluttered and unorganized to me.

View Post

tried 3.4?

#17 Seth

Seth

Mmm Ubuntu

Posted 14 February 2005 - 06:22

If you take time to tweak KDE it is glorious. Gnome is very simple and clean, and I like both. But on a day-to-day basis, I love using KDE 3.4.

#18 darkz

darkz

Neowinian

Posted 14 February 2005 - 10:58

GNOME!
KDE makes me want to vomit!
It looks like it's made for elementary school students....

View Post

Same here, same here :x

#19 darkz

darkz

Neowinian

Posted 14 February 2005 - 11:02

gnome looks like something youd see at a public library.

you can customize them both.

View Post

Yeah, you can make them look good/normal, but KDE is slower (it seems to me) and winxp alike.

#20 OP msg43

msg43

ArchLinux | Sempon 64 3400+

Posted 14 February 2005 - 11:17

thanks for your guys opinions :)

#21 Evolution

Evolution

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 February 2005 - 14:53

I prefer KDE, since it's incredibly intuitive....at first I thought this was because I've used XP for such a long time....but after I tried gnome, I felt like there were a lot of features missing... and a lack of conveniences.

#22 vetAaron

Aaron

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 February 2005 - 16:22

Out of curiosity I installed KLDE on my Ubuntu setup. Played with it for about one hour and decide I preferred Gnome. Some think the options galore of KDE is what makes it better, if that is the case then great for you. For me it was too much stuff to have. Gnome's simplicity was a postive for me rather than a negative.

As for th Crystal Iconset in KDE, yeah it is great. So good, in fact, that I installed it in Gnome. ;)

#23 boomn

boomn

Posted 14 February 2005 - 17:11

I feel more at home in Gnome, but I think Konqueror beats the pants off of nautilus

Maybe I should just use fluxbox with apps from both

#24 g-n-t

g-n-t

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 February 2005 - 23:33

As for th Crystal Iconset in KDE, yeah it is great.  So good, in fact, that I installed it in Gnome.  ;)

View Post

and used it in your sig and avatar? ;)

when i used mepis on a livecd, gnome was faster than KDE. but KDE in yoper is faster than any gnome ive used so the speed is not an issue for me. the customization options are like heaven to me after using xp.

gnome isnt as robust as KDE from my experiences. konsole is the most fully featured terminal ive seen and konqueror is the best file manager of any OS.

also, KDE's windecos use C code instead of pixmaps(although you can use iceWM pixmaps if needed) so the windecos have more effects and look cooler.

one thing i like in gnome is the minimalistic feel. but you can still customize KDE to be like that.

Edit: and KDE 3.4 is considerebly faster tahn previous releases and less bloated. it is also VERY stable and it is still in beta. it looks like it will be an awesome release.

Edited by g-n-t, 14 February 2005 - 23:43.

#25 Ramble

Ramble

Neowinian Arsehole

Posted 14 February 2005 - 23:48

I would say KDE, yes, it looks olike a dog, but integration is just so much better than gnome. And its a hell of a lot more productive for me. For some reason i keep on drifting back to KDE, even though xfce is great, it just doesnt have the integration of KDE.

#26 tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: I need a new one. Gibe moni plos

Posted 15 February 2005 - 00:10

GNOME or fluxbox

#27 dude2425

dude2425

Really wants a 6800 Ultra

Posted 15 February 2005 - 03:49

Definately GNOME.
I've tryed KDE, but it just looks awful IMHO. The plastic look disgusts me, it's worse than winblows's playschool look. The icons are truely abismal, I hate the crystal look with a passion.

GNOME I like, it's simple, clean, organized, it looks great, it feels great. I love the icons, my favorite theme is Glider/SmoothGNOME with the default GNOME icons. I just can't imagine it any other way.

#28 Seth

Seth

Mmm Ubuntu

Posted 15 February 2005 - 03:51

And don't forget, KDE has the WONDERFUL apps Kompare and Umbrello.

#29 vetAaron

Aaron

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 February 2005 - 04:20

And don't forget, KDE has the WONDERFUL apps Kompare and Umbrello.

View Post

Umbrello rocks. But, I have been using it for a few weeks with Gnome. I'll admit though that the fonts were really crappy untill I installed KDE (to try it out). Must have been some libraries missign for font rendering. Quanta used to have the same problem as well.

#30 LispyGlitter2

LispyGlitter2

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 February 2005 - 04:22

I voted KDE because I feel from a person comign from a Windows platform, it's easier to understand because it's liek the start button.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!