879 members have voted

1. 1. Kde Vs Gnome

• Kde
    • Gnome
    • Other (please post)

Voted KDE

simple comparisons between both and the programs supplied:

File manager:

Konqueror - robust file manager, the most complete one i've ever seen. Untuitive

file browsing, with access to all the services available in yor system. Still lacks a bit of

polishing when it comes to image previews (the default setting can be customized here). It

can also be a very powerfull web-browser with tabs and usefull options.

Nautilus - spatial file manager a complete joke (who loves to have to close 20 windows after

a min of browsing...?); u do a temporary samba mount (not editing fstab) and u go to computer:

nothing to see there... ; wanna use nautilus on other DE/WM? be sure to pass the option --no-desktop

to nautilus or the whole GNOME desktop will be loaded with it  :blink:  , also you will not have icons on the  file manager;

"open with" options...  ever tryed to open a .wmv file? :laugh:

Media Player:

KDE: has about 5 of them kaffeine favourite for movies, amaroK for audio.

GNOME: gxine no comparison possible with kaffeine, it doesn't even integrate on systemtray.

rhythmbox  :x

Panel:

kicker: plain perfect with a complete set of usefull applets and external panels, transparency

very well handled, taskbar applet very well built.

gnome-panel: the most anoying little thing on GNOME. They don't evolute this thing for so much

time that it feels like 1999 when u use it. Taskbar applet :x if you have only one window openned

it takes all the taskbar space (you can change this), ever tryed to use a program like amsn with it?  :pinch: 

systemtray protocol is one of the buggiest things in it and regret everytime of running some program

that uses it. The menu launcher only shows gnome tasks and programs, if you want to launch another

program that isn't from GNOME u have to go to the system menu  (...)

Control:

KDE Control Center: U have all the options here to configure yor Desktop aswell as yor system,

all very well distribuited and with tree view as default to save time.

GNOME preferences: very incomplete based on icons only.

Desktop

KDE: U can customize it all  :cool:  Have transparent window decorations, transparent menus

rendered with hardware accell, different wallpapers for every desktop, move to another desktop with a simple scroll, tell the windowmanager to remember the window settings for a specific app (eg. have no window decs on a console)

with a simple right-click on the windowdec.

GNOME: no option to have independent wallpapers on each desktop, no move to another desktop

on scroll (they should learn this little trick from XFCE), (...) Not a good window manager, it's based

on pixmaps only.

IM client

kopete: Very complete in all the protocols. U can customize it to look like ichat, have the

conversation window transparent. How cool is that?  :cool:

gaim: Looks horrible, and those annoying litlle bell sounds erm... Buddy icons aren't displayed

right on every protocol...

(...)

585474689[/snapback]

Media player: Nothing wrong with xine/gxine. Kaffeine :x.

And..what's wrong with rhytmbox?

Desktop: you can move windows to another workspace. Why do you need different wallpapers on different desktops? Window manager based on pixmaps..so what?

Themes can still kick ass...look at systemg for example.

Panel: Not only gnome programs are in the menu.

Control center is not bad in gnome.

Some distros has got a menu for it.

KDE's center is not perfect. Some things are hard to find etc.

IM client: You can turn off sounds.

kaffeine is a front-end for xine, and it is really nice. noatun is awesome as well

why is rhythmbox worth using over a kde audio player?

cause different wallpapers looks better and it helps you to distinguish the different desktops.

wm? have you seen crystal-gl? http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=18983 now try and get that for metacity. yes, system-g is cool, but it can be ported to icewm and used in kde in a couple minutes. so gnome does not have an advantage here.

panel:not only kde apps are in the menu. What is your point?

control center is better in KDE

???

there is a search....

but kopete is still better. i used to use gaim, but kopete is a better IM client.

panel:not only kde apps are in the menu. What is your point?

585499432[/snapback]

LechioPT said that if you want to show non-gnome apps in the menu, you must add them manually, which is a pure lie.

LechioPT said that if you want to show non-gnome apps in the menu, you  must add them manually, which is a pure lie.

585499518[/snapback]

well .. I had to manually add some apps to gnome menu (opera beta and dcgui-qt)

well .. I had to manually add some apps to gnome menu (opera beta and dcgui-qt)

585499774[/snapback]

Yeah..it depends.

I am using Ubuntu, and most programs I get from synaptic are added, but not all.

I had the same problems with KDE anyway.

If the configuration files are properly written by the author, they'll show up in the kde menu. However, if the author primarily intended the apps for use of another windows manager i.e. gnome (yeah I know it's not the wm, although I can't remember the name for the tier above wm), then naturally the application would not be added to the menu.

i.e. Mozilla didn't seem to configure Firefox enough to recognize the current graphics environment :/ At the very least, they didn't add a few extra commands for KDE.

The menu arguement is obselete as both KDE and GNOME are switching to Freedesktop's standard, hopefully this will lead to less fragmentation/more code reuse. Both KDE and GNOME are excellent desktop environments, but I prefer GNOME because (1) all my favorite apps are gtk-based (firefox, gaim, emacs, gimp) (2) I prefer very small widgets/fonts (3) the "earthy" look of GNOME is more attractive.

The menu arguement is obselete as both KDE and GNOME are switching to Freedesktop's standard, hopefully this will lead to less fragmentation/more code reuse. Both KDE and GNOME are excellent desktop environments, but I prefer GNOME because (1) all my favorite apps are gtk-based (firefox, gaim, emacs, gimp) (2) I prefer very small widgets/fonts (3) the "earthy" look of GNOME is more attractive.

585502485[/snapback]

that is not gnome, that is ubuntu.

and you can still use gtk apps in kde. with the gtk-qt engine, they look/work great.

that is not gnome, that is ubuntu.

585502567[/snapback]

Well if you compare any of Jimmac or tigert's work (the main artists in GNOME) against, say, everaldo, a definite difference can be seen.

and you can still use gtk apps in kde. with the gtk-qt engine, they look/work great.

That requires having both the gtk libraries and the kde libraries loaded at once.

That requires having both the gtk libraries and the kde libraries loaded at once.

585502979[/snapback]

well if you are going to use a gtk app with the gtk theme, you will need hte gtk library, and if you are using kde, you already have the qt library loaded, so there is no performance degradation other than the normal losses of using a gtk app in KDE.

I used fluxbox(until my computer died). Alot of people say its not that good aesthetically, but I made it pretty cool. You just have to know how to configure things. I am thinking of switching to FVWM. I like some of the stuff you can do with it. Plus I have all the free time to mess with it.

Between the two, I would have to say GNOME. I just think it looks more streamlined. And alot of the organization was logical. KDE just looked too much like Windows to me. And I was trying to move away from that when I first started using Linux.

--Alex

KDE, albeit I often use no environment at all to accomplish most of my work.

But when delivering desktop for customers, it's KDE all the way. Less hassle and less toying around.