[Poll] Kde VS Gnome

Kde Vs Gnome  

879 members have voted

1. 1. Kde Vs Gnome

• Kde
    • Gnome
    • Other (please post)

I am very impressed with KDE 3.4, but hasn't anyone noticed that the icon handling still seems poor when moving with a mouse. compared to Gnome, OS X and Windows. e.g. When moving/dragging an icon with other OS's/Desktops the handling seems solid, but with KDE for a long time now, when you click+drag, you get a funny dotted line around the icon and name, and also the mouse cursor get's bigger when actually moving. It just seems all loose and flakey to me.

Is this just me talking B***ks :blink:

But apart from that, kudo's to the KDE team!!!

ps. I'm glad they've got a trash can that's now comparable to windows. :)

I have always been a 100% Gnome user, but since seeing the developers attitude regarding Eugena from OSNews' feature requests I'm considering switching my desktop to KDE and my lappy has already been switched to Enlightenment.

hi all,

i'm new to linux.. in case i wanna make the "switch", which one kde OR gnome would be easier to begin the linux experience ??

currently, i'm at the stage where i'm trying most of the live CD types to see which one i'm most comfortable with.

thanx

Whether you prefer KDE or Gnome is a matter of taste.

Before I switched to Fluxbox, I preferred KDE, as it seemed more intuitive to me as a former Windows user. However, it seems that public opinion (at least here on Neowin) has shifted from a 50/50 split between the two, to a significant margin preferring Gnome over KDE.

You *can* install them both and switch between them to find out for yourself. ;)

no, actually, at lq, a large majority favour KDE, it just depends where you look. i think that with kubuntu now, things will even up again.

try mepis for a livecd because it has both KDE and gnome. however, its not that good of a distro to install.

Nice theme :p However, I found out that I have to run "gnome-settings-daemon", that way Gtk apps. will apply gnome settings and won't look bad :p I don't know why I have to do this, from Gnome, kde apps look OK (except some like skype or the menu in opera)

585648323[/snapback]

No, just install gtk2-engines-gtk-qt.

http://higgs.djpig.de/ubuntu/www/hoary/kde...-engines-gtk-qt

• 2 weeks later...

Been using both off and on. Finally went back to Gnome. Like Hurmoth said...it's more professional looking. I got away from Windows to avoid the whole Playskool look. This is exactly why I don't use KDE anymore ;) GO GNOME!

I find Gnome cleaner and more professional. It is my environment of choice.

KDE seems to be faster though (reacts faster on mouse clicks), but I don't like the file browser and the controlpanel is a total mess. Very hard to find the settings you want.

I find Gnome cleaner and more professional. It is my environment of choice.

KDE seems to be faster though (reacts faster on mouse clicks), but I don't like the file browser and the controlpanel is a total mess. Very hard to find the settings you want.

585729559[/snapback]

Strange. The Konqueror filebrowser is the one KDE component I actually use in my fluxbox environment. I never got comfortable with Nautilus.

No one is better than the other.

For the GNOME user GNOME is better than KDE

and

For the KDE user KDE is better than GNOME

In conclusion all this comes down to a matter of personal choice.

and same goes for IE vs FF, Windows vs Linux, Nvidia vs ATI, etc ....

Remenber: It's Personal Choice

and

585736842[/snapback]

Captain Obvious strikes again ;)

and

In conclusion all this comes down to a matter of personal choice.

and same goes for IE vs FF, Windows vs Linux, Nvidia vs ATI, etc ....

Remenber:  It's Personal Choice

585736842[/snapback]

wow :o

Captain Obvious strikes again ;)

585738749[/snapback]

Maybe, but there's people that just don't get it and continue to debate on.

Edited by lare2

• 2 weeks later...

I want to be a KDE man, but Kubuntu is unusable because of all the damned Konqueror crashes! Ubuntu is cool since I found more themes. I gotta have eye candy or I won't use it :)

gnome, kde is good, but as said before, it seems to childmade, xp ish. im not a fan of the bubbly glass icons. Im a minimalist and i like the way i can configure gnome to not be so flashy.

also for those using gnome, how do you change your lil foot print icon, or change the font of the text up there, im not looking for a theme, i just mearly want to find something to change (say hex? or a file src). thanks in advance.

Edited by s0n1cm0nk3y

I've got Gnome 2.10 and KDE 3.4 installed on Knoppix but, to be honest, I've never booted into KDE since I upgraded from KDE 3.3

I'll let you know. Gnome 2.10 isn't radically different from 2.4 (more evolution than revolution).

My Gnome/Debian menu looks rather ugly now though.

As I said earlier, I love fluxbox. I have still to try out FVWM. I think that GNOME is better than KDE. To me, KDE looks to flashy. It's just to much eye candy and not enough performance. That might have changed in the several years I have used linux, but I think GNOME definitely is good enough and functional enough for my tastes.

--Alex

If you like one well its ok ,the best lol we can't say it well if you talk to u ok :)! I choose my gui if it usefull for me, not cuz people say its the best ... Depend what I need :)

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe, but there's people that just don't get it and continue to debate on.

585740040[/snapback]

Sorry, but comments like this bug me. WHY CAN'T WE DEBATE. I mean Jesus, it's bad enough when we have to be so PC in the UK, but on a public forum too? Maybe I find homosexual's personally offensive, why can't I feel offended? Ok, I'm all for respect; but isn't there a contradiction when trying to force being PC on other people, and respecting their opinions? You really think society has moved forward, when we become LESS moral people? Exactly, you would argue, that homosexuality isn't immoral, and this is the crux of it. By forcing me to be PC, you're forcing your OWN moral code on me too, because you think being homosexual is a non issue, and hence I should respect their opinions! Do you think I should respect beastality too, because they're entitled to their own opinions too?

However, when we're in a forum; talking about KDE and GNOME, we're not talking about moral issues. There are very factual reasons why one or the other is better, and we can discuss them. Simply saying they're both the same is just plain STUPID, if the whole world took this attitude nothing would improve, because we'd all be farting around saying "congratulations" to absolute crap (which is one thing I've noticed happens allot on some of the neowin forums). Stop trying to be PC, in an area which REALLY doesn't need it, PLEASE!

Maybe I focused too much on being PC, but really, I see his post a product of the PC attitude I see, and this is where it's getting us. Debate about, even the most trivial of things, is being squashed by the constant badgering of PC numbskull's.

Edited by Knight'