Fatal Error! Cannot Read IP Configuration

I have to fix a computer which is having this error message everytime I try to run "winipcfg" or after connecting to the internet.

Fatal Error! Cannot Read IP Configuration

The machine is Windows 98 and rather than re install the whole machine I was wondering if anyone had a solution to the problem. I have followed these instructions but it still doesnt help.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;286748

Alternatively there is no ws2bakup folder on the machine, Im not sure if this applies to Windows 95 only? :huh: Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks in Advance.

No I didnt try that, isnt that for Windows XP etc the command for 98 is winipcfg isnt it ? Even if that did work thats only half the problem, The error message comes up when I connect to the internet so the computer isnt assigned an IP address and therefore cannot access the internet.

No I didnt try that, isnt that for Windows XP etc the command for 98 is winipcfg isnt it ? Even if that did work thats only half the problem, The error message comes up when I connect to the internet so the computer isnt assigned an IP address and therefore cannot access the internet.

585471544[/snapback]

ipconfig works in 98. I think it was in 95 as well. winipcfg is the fancy gui version, while ipconfig is the command line version.

Actually running winipcfg/ipconfig isnt an issue here its just I cant get the machine connected to the internet becuase everytime it dials up it establishses a connection with the server but then this message pops up. So Im guessing is not been assigned an Ip address so thats the problem does anyone have any other solutions apart from reinstall Windows as thats a last resort.

Remove all networking components from Windows (TCP/IP,etc)

Remove the modem.

Reboot the system in safe mode.

Remove the modem driver.

Reinstall the modem, loading drivers and setting up internet connection.

That should fix your problem (assuming the problem is not a defective modem).