Noise Sharpening Foobar2000 plugin.

Question

I didnt make this plugin, but its not very well known here so I thought I would give it some publicity. ssamadhi97 of the Foobar2000 forums made it if you want to give him props.

Summary: the main purpose is to convert an LPCM signal, but even more exciting is the Noise Sharpening DSP.

The noise sharpener adds noise in the inaudible range to increase resolution in the audible range. So more noise shaping->more noise->more audible resolution.

It's the audio equivalent of using an image sharpening filter on your pictures. It makes audio files sound "sharper" (clearer). You WILL notice the difference.

Instructions:

1) put the dll in the components folder of your Foobar2000.

2) Open Foobar2000, go to the DSP manager and put "Noise Sharpening" on the Active DSP list. Make sure its at the top.

3) On Noise Sharpening settings, slide the bar to 50-125%. (Whatever sounds reasonable, I think 50% for beginners, 75-100% for others?)

4) Play any audio file and notice the increased clarity. Activate it and deactivate it while its playing over and over to see the difference.

In sum...I can't see how I didnt use this before.

foo_dsp_delta can be found on this page.

http://pelit.koillismaa.fi/plugins/dsp.php#92

Or since its only 11kb, I mirrored it with an attachment. Enjoy!

If you want to see other plugins by this author, please visit:

http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~uybc/

foo_dsp_delta.zip

Edited by neoufo51

Great Stuff! I really noticed a difference.

Try listening to The Future Sound of London - Dead Skin Cells

and try turning it the effect on and off while listening to the rain.

With it on, it sounds like the rain is right in the room with you.

Thanks a bunch ;)

Great Stuff! I really noticed a difference.

Try listening to The Future Sound of London - Dead Skin Cells

and try turning it the effect on and off while listening to the rain.

With it on, it sounds like the rain is right in the room with you.

Thanks a bunch ;)

585864354[/snapback]

Just doing my part to bring this plugin to Neowinian attention. :D

oooh the winamp people get nervous when we talk about foobars plugin architecture so they've gotta pop up with their plugins too ! :D

oooh the winamp people get nervous when we talk about foobars plugin architecture so they've gotta pop up with their plugins too !  :D

585866251[/snapback]

:laugh:

Will itunes find a way to handle this next?

thanks, but i like my music to sound the exact same as it is on the CD, thats why i use flac for my favorite albums and preset-standard lame mp3 for everything else

Well, I'm not the same opinion about this plug-in. Well, at 48000hz ((resampler) at 41100Hz even more) the sound, I should say, is too dry, but clean of course. I actually didn't like it... But using resampler at 96000Hz (luckily my Creative soundcard supports it) the sound is great. The same is both with ".mp3" and ".ape". I'd like to thank the author :)

this is a great plugin. it helps my Z-5500's lack of sharp treble. thanks go for the author and the thread starter. :)

I get this error:

Failed to load DLL: foo_dsp_delta.dll

Reason: This component is missing a required dependency, or was made for different version of foobar2000.

I have version 0.9.5.1

I get this error:

Failed to load DLL: foo_dsp_delta.dll

Reason: This component is missing a required dependency, or was made for different version of foobar2000.

I have version 0.9.5.1

It's for an older version of foobar, we'll have to wait for them to bring the component up to speed or do without it. Kernel Streaming is all you really need, check it out in his second or third post on the first page.

I've been using it for years.

Thanks. I searched and apparently there is/was a 0.9 version but I couldn't connect to the website. But yeah, I'll check out Kernel Streaming.

Also, do you just chose the KS in the Output setting under Playback?

yes, here is an example of mine:

ps: GO FLYERS, PENS SUCK :)

Edited by Saint Shiv

awesome, I've been trying to get this kind of tweak to the sound through the eq but couldn't do anywhere near as well as this seems to.