WHat company is the best in A/V receivers

pick the best one!!  

55 members have voted

1. 1. pick the best one!!

• Onkyo
    • Denon
    • Yamaha

The major difference between Denon and the rest is how they rate their amps. Sony will be glad to slap a 100x5 (wattage) sticker on their POS amps and ship em out the door. But a "100" watt sony amp cant touch a 65 watt Denon amp. Denon has a seperate amp PER CHANNEL. That is huge. Thats how they enable true 5/6 channel stereo...with much less distortion...and much greater sound quality than sony.

585593228[/snapback]

you have that right!

I have an old harmon/kardon 730 (vintage, not old :cool:), and it is rated at 40x2...but that is the most powerful 40 watts I've ever heard :devil:

build quality is so much more important than the 'rating'

this guy know what he's talking about, i m geting onkyo this time, in a year or few i get Denon.!!

thank you everyone!!

If you want real quality you should look at B&K, Krell, Sunfire, Rotel, etc. component systems. But those are also mucho expensive. If you want good quality performance versus money look at Marantz and Denon. They are by far the best for the money.

Edited by Zoue

i can sure learn alot from you guys, i never heard of Marantz , sound cool im looking at it right now

is Marantz japanese or american ? or what?

Denon, by far wins this race. I have been involved in custom home theater prof installation sine 96...and nothing in this range comes close. For the money, Denon has something on every single price level. You can get an AVR1604 that has PLENTY of power (for its price range) and also has 6.1 capability, and 5/6 channel stereo...for like 330 bucks. Thats crazy.

The major difference between Denon and the rest is how they rate their amps. Sony will be glad to slap a 100x5 (wattage) sticker on their POS amps and ship em out the door. But a "100" watt sony amp cant touch a 65 watt Denon amp. Denon has a seperate amp PER CHANNEL. That is huge. Thats how they enable true 5/6 channel stereo...with much less distortion...and much greater sound quality than sony.

Onkyo has some decent high end stuff...but it doesnt touch Denon or Marantz when it comes to sound quality. And their lower price range stuff really cant run with Denon.

I have worked with Sony, Pioneer in great detail...and they too fall short.

If you want to shell out 10k and get something better than Denon, you can...its called McIntosh.

To the one who said Denon was complete junk, I hope you were joking.

585593228[/snapback]

I agree, Denon is good but I think Marantz is a bit too high priced (like monster cables) ... great quality but overpriced.

Onkyo receivers are good for their price range.

In the end the only "best" audio equipment is equipment that supports seperate components (ie. preamp, tuner, etc.). That will give you the lowest crosstalk and the highest sound quality. Funny thing is, if your hearing isn't better than normal you won't hear the difference. And for the price of the equipment, you may as well own your own studio.

Edited by Jstphish

i can sure learn alot from you guys, i never heard of Marantz , sound cool im looking at it right now

is Marantz japanese or american  ? or what?

585622117[/snapback]

As far as I can tell, Marantz used to be American, but were bought somewhere along the way by a Japanese company. My Dad bought one in the 70's when they were still American, that was top-of-the-line back then with tubes and such, and it still works today. I think when my Dad finally upgrades his receiver, he'll go with Marantz once again. But until then I will be checking into Denon as well. Someone I talked to today was just mentioning the same thing about wattage not being everything. So I vote Marantz, even though it's not on the list.

Check this out:

Denon AVR-1905 new for 360 bucks.

DD - 7.1

DTS EX - 6.1

7 Channels of equal power amplification (individual amps)

5/6/7 channel stereo

and....DUAL ZONE!

True 2 Source, 2 Zone functionality with Discrete Power, Source Select and Volume control for each zone

http://abesofmaine.com/viewproduct.asp?id=dnavr1905

FOR 360 BUCKS!

Dual zone is bad ass btw.

Specialty mostly unkown ridiculously priced High End Brands > Denon > Onkyo > Yamaha > Mainstream Consumer Brands

585652801[/snapback]

Bang & Olufson > Bowers & Wilkins > Rotel > Proton > etc.

Yes they kick ass, got a Onkyo myself loving it too :turned:

Denon, by far wins this race. I have been involved in custom home theater prof installation sine 96...and nothing in this range comes close. For the money, Denon has something on every single price level. You can get an AVR1604 that has PLENTY of power (for its price range) and also has 6.1 capability, and 5/6 channel stereo...for like 330 bucks. Thats crazy.

Onkyo has some decent high end stuff...but it doesnt touch Denon or Marantz when it comes to sound quality. And their lower price range stuff really cant run with Denon.

If you want to shell out 10k and get something better than Denon, you can...its called McIntosh.

585593228[/snapback]

good review, advice, feedback (Y) Will keep that in mind when it comes time to purchase a system

good review, advice, feedback (Y) Will keep that in mind when it comes time to purchase a system

585653373[/snapback]

I have been an audiophile for over 20 years, and I have used just about everything. I can tell you the absolute best reciever made is the Sunfire line by Bob Carver (the guy who pioneered the solidstate amplifiers we all use). Check it out.

They drive low impeedence loads as well.

http://www.oade.com/Home_theater/Sunfire/U...e_Receiver.html

Never could stand the idea of getting a receiver, I've got to have my components all as seperates. Nice to see at least someone knows truly quality audio, which is none of the 3 brands you've mentioned.

585593228[/snapback]

nope pure 100% junk period. if you went into a high end home system design of any quality and said dennon they would laugh you out of the store.

Thats interesting considering I worked in a high end home theater store for 4 years and our best seller was denon.

We sold Klipsch, Defenitive Technologies, Onkyo, Marantz, Paradigm...etc. And did many 6 figure systems...backed by denon receivers. We NEVER could sell our Pioneer Elite or sony stuff...

The only thing better than Denon are some high end seperates or McIntosh/Carver/Sunfire. But the rate of return based on how much more you will spend for those is marginal at best.