BackupFox 0.6

There has been a lot of discussion about backing up Firefox extensions, preferences, bookmarks etc. A promising tool, MozBackup, was unfortunately discontinued. On top of all that, yesterday, after my main HDD fainted (power cable got disconnected), my firefox profile got corrupt. I had no chance but to write a tool to backup/restore my profile.

Notes

1. This is still BETA; there may be some glitches

2. This saves a complete backup of your profile, not just extensions or bookmarks.

3. It uses 7-zip commandline to create and extract archives.

4. It requires administrative rights (on NT-class Windows)

5. It has not been tested with Windows 9x/Me

6. Version 0.7+ supports Firefox and Thunderbird.

7. Version 0.72+ can exclude cache from backups.

1. I've successfully restored my profile after uninstalling firefox (and deleting my profiles) and reinstalling it.

2. I've successfully transfered my profile on my second computer (backup on first pc, and restore on second).

Download

BackupFox 0.73

Screenshot (0.73)

post-10533-1111411280.jpg

Enjoy!

Antonis

Edited by nw_raptor

if ya added support for thunderbird i would use it..

585549906[/snapback]

That's a great idea! I'd sure like that too, but nice work on what you have done already.. I just tested it and it's simple and easy to use.. GREAT!

nw_raptor before you get too far into building it could you make it as an extension isntead of a seperate program? or if you could also make it an extension that'd be great also.

great work btw

nw_raptor before you get too far into building it could you make it as an extension isntead of a seperate program? or if you could also make it an extension that'd be great also.

great work btw

585551085[/snapback]

Well, the troule is... in order to restore a profile, Firefox must be completely closed. This doesn't leave too much space for an extension. Backing up with Firefox open is not recommended either...

I just tried this out. Downloaded the zip, extracted to a new directory and tried to run BackupFox.exe. I get a runtime error '50003' Unexpected Error. I tried copying the 7za.exe file to the Windows folder thinking a possible path issue. Didnt work. XP Pro SP1, power user account (i dont have admin access to this system). In case it helps you, MozBackup works fine for me, including extensions.

T

i didn't have ANY problem. i tried putting the files in different folders/locations. no problems at all.

I just tried this out.  Downloaded the zip, extracted to a new directory and tried to run BackupFox.exe.  I get a runtime error '50003' Unexpected Error.  I tried copying the 7za.exe file to the Windows folder thinking a possible path issue.  Didnt work.  XP Pro SP1, power user account (i dont have admin access to this system).  In case it helps you, MozBackup works fine for me, including extensions. 

T

585556893[/snapback]

^^welcome to Neowin (Y)

well here I also have the same problem unfortunately :(

I just tried this out.  Downloaded the zip, extracted to a new directory and tried to run BackupFox.exe.  I get a runtime error '50003' Unexpected Error.  I tried copying the 7za.exe file to the Windows folder thinking a possible path issue.  Didnt work.  XP Pro SP1, power user account (i dont have admin access to this system).  In case it helps you, MozBackup works fine for me, including extensions. 

T

585556893[/snapback]

You most likely need admin rights.