[HOW TO] Installing Wireless Networking

DjmUK:

I'm having a problem with Part 7 on Step 2 of the first post of this topic.  I'm extremely new to Linux and have Fedora Core 4.  I'm trying to get my Linux card to work on this thing.  I do an lspci and come up with the following (just for the sake of having posted as much info as possible)

So I go to do this install on my nix box and get to this part

and type in the word 'make' to get something along the following output (I had to write it down seeing as how I have no net connection).

Someone please tell me what this means?  Why am I getting an error?

586129713[/snapback]

You need to install the sources for your kernel.

Okay I'm happy I got an answer. What does that mean? where do I find the sources for my kernel? I beleive I can find out what kernel I'm running by going to the /lib/Modules/ and looking at the name of that directory, right? but what are the sources?

Okay, I'm familiar with Windoze but not Linux. What's a source? My kernel is something like my version, right? 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4?? So, in essence I have to install a "source" for 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4, but I can't figure out what a source is or where to get it. So far all I've got is this

Source - The code that makes a program work.

But what that is saying to me is that there must be different versions of ndiswrapper and I picked the wrong one????

......PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR BEING SO IGNORANT ABOUT THIS SUBJECT I APPOLOGIZE.....

Also, what is yum, I haven't quite googled that question yet but I've been googling the source question for a few days now to no avail.

Yes, source is the code that was written to create the program (in this case, the kernel). It is written in human-readable form (generally in C), but is not machine-executable until it is compiled into 'binary' code (like a Windows .exe). And you are right in needing to download the source that matches your current kernel version. You are understanding it fine, so far. (Y)

As far as "yum" goes, it is an application that manages all of your installed packages (including the kernel). You can type "yum install celestia", and yum will search for, and install, the space simulator "Celestia". You type "yum update", and yum will check for newer versions of everything that you have on your computer. To find out more, you type "man yum" to read the 'manual' for 'yum'.

So, is it possible that they haven't released the proper ndiswrapper source for my FC4? Should I erase the drive and install FC3? Maybe I'd have an easier time?

No... You don't need the NDISWrapper source. You need to find the kernel source, so that NDISWrapper can use it to compile what it needs to.

Ok, did a bit of hunting, and here is what I have found:

Procedure that may be helpful: http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29434

(you probably won't want/need to rebuild your whole kernel, but the first part will install it for you) EDIT: I think that all you will want to di is the single "rpm" command as step #2.

Where your "source RPM" is located: http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedo...x/core/4/SRPMS/

Look for "kernel-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4.src.rpm"

That should get what you are needing.

Okay, an update: I followed your link (thank you so much for the direction, some people need their hands held) installed the src (I only used the first command '$ rpm -ivh kernel-2.6.9-1.1021_FC4.src.rpm' I don't know if I should have done the rest of it, from your post earlier it didn't seem like it.) but I was getting nokey errors. So I stumbled upon something online saying that I need to do a 'yum install kernel-devel' in order to not get a nokey error. It worked and then the src installed fine (I think) and now I'm at the ndiswrapper install at the beginning of this post again. I get to the make part and see a bunch of errors. Did I mess something up?

[root@localhost ndiswrapper-1.2]# make

make -C driver

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/tv/ndiswrapper-1.2/driver'

make -C /lib/modules/2.6.11-1.1369_FC4/build SUBDIRS=/home/tv/ndiswrapper-1.2/driver \

NDISWRAPPER_VERSION=1.2 \

EXTRA_VERSION= modules

/usr/src/kernels/2.6.11-1.1369_FC4-i686/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 11: gcc: command not found

/usr/src/kernels/2.6.11-1.1369_FC4-i686/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 12: gcc: command not found

make[2]: gcc: Command not found

make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.11-1.1369_FC4-i686'

CC [M]  /home/tv/ndiswrapper-1.2/driver/hal.o

/bin/sh: gcc: command not found

make[3]: *** [/home/tv/ndiswrapper-1.2/driver/hal.o] Error 127

make[2]: *** [_module_/home/tv/ndiswrapper-1.2/driver] Error 2

make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.11-1.1369_FC4-i686'

make[1]: *** [default] Error 2

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/tv/ndiswrapper-1.2/driver'

make: *** [all] Error 2

Can you type the output of gcc -v here?

I am thinking that you don't have a compiler installed...

Yup. No compiler.

yum install gcc

I think that will be all you need. I hope so... :unsure:

Errrrrr, doesnt yum install linux-source simply work? :unsure:

edit: nevermind, i see you have the source installed now... But for future reference thats how you install your kernel source, you have a package manager, USE IT... although you were advised not to for some reason...

Edited by Bliksem

SWEET!!! now I have the compiler installed and started to do the make. I got to I think its number 4 on part 5 and realized that it says that my driver is an invalid driver and that kinda worries me. One more thing is that in the instructions it says to use all caps when pointing at the .inf file. Problem is, mine's not in all caps for some strange reason. Here's my histor below

[root@localhost ndiswrapper-1.2]# make

make -C driver

make -C /lib/modules/2.6.11-1.1369_FC4/build SUBDIRS=/home/tv/ndiswrapper-1.2/driver \

EXTRA_VERSION= modules

CC [M]  /home/tv/ndiswrapper-1.2/driver/hal.o

CC [M]  /home/tv/ndiswrapper-1.2/driver/iw_ndis.o

CC [M]  /home/tv/ndiswrapper-1.2/driver/loader.o

/home/tv/ndiswrapper-1.2/driver/loader.c: In function ?ndiswrapper_add_pci_device?:

/home/tv/ndiswrapper-1.2/driver/loader.c:202: warning: ignoring return value of ?pci_set_power_state?, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

CC [M]  /home/tv/ndiswrapper-1.2/driver/misc_funcs.o

CC [M]  /home/tv/ndiswrapper-1.2/driver/ndis.o

CC [M]  /home/tv/ndiswrapper-1.2/driver/ntoskernel.o

CC [M]  /home/tv/ndiswrapper-1.2/driver/pe_linker.o

CC [M]  /home/tv/ndiswrapper-1.2/driver/proc.o

CC [M]  /home/tv/ndiswrapper-1.2/driver/wrapper.o

/home/tv/ndiswrapper-1.2/driver/wrapper.c: In function ?miniport_halt?:

/home/tv/ndiswrapper-1.2/driver/wrapper.c:293: warning: ignoring return value of ?pci_set_power_state?, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

/home/tv/ndiswrapper-1.2/driver/wrapper.c: In function ?ndiswrapper_suspend_pci?:

/home/tv/ndiswrapper-1.2/driver/wrapper.c:737: warning: ignoring return value of ?pci_set_power_state?, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

/home/tv/ndiswrapper-1.2/driver/wrapper.c: In function ?ndiswrapper_resume_pci?:/home/tv/ndiswrapper-1.2/driver/wrapper.c:759: warning: ignoring return value of ?pci_enable_device?, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

CC [M]  /home/tv/ndiswrapper-1.2/driver/usb.o

CC [M]  /home/tv/ndiswrapper-1.2/driver/divdi3.o

LD [M]  /home/tv/ndiswrapper-1.2/driver/ndiswrapper.o

Building modules, stage 2.

MODPOST

CC      /home/tv/ndiswrapper-1.2/driver/ndiswrapper.mod.o

LD [M]  /home/tv/ndiswrapper-1.2/driver/ndiswrapper.ko

*** WARNING:  Kernel is compiled with 4K stack size option (CONFIG_4KSTACKS); many Windows drivers will not work with this option enabled. Disable CONFIG_4KSTACKS option, recompile and install kernel

make -C utils

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/tv/ndiswrapper-1.2/utils'

cc -Wall -g -DNDISWRAPPER_VERSION=\"1.2\"    -c -o loadndisdriver.o loadndisdriver.c

gcc -o loadndisdriver loadndisdriver.o

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/tv/ndiswrapper-1.2/utils'

[root@localhost ndiswrapper-1.2]# make install

make -C driver install

EXTRA_VERSION= modules

Building modules, stage 2.

MODPOST

*** WARNING:  Kernel is compiled with 4K stack size option (CONFIG_4KSTACKS); many Windows drivers will not work with this option enabled. Disable CONFIG_4KSTACKS option, recompile and install kernel

mkdir -p /lib/modules/2.6.11-1.1369_FC4/misc

install -m 0644 ndiswrapper.ko /lib/modules/2.6.11-1.1369_FC4/misc

/sbin/depmod -a

make -C utils install

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/tv/ndiswrapper-1.2/utils'

install -D -m 755 loadndisdriver /sbin/loadndisdriver

install -D -m 755 ndiswrapper /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper

install -D -m 755 ndiswrapper-buginfo /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper-buginfo

NOTE: Windows driver configuration file format has changed since 1.0-rc2. You must re-install Windows drivers if they were installed before.

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/tv/ndiswrapper-1.2/utils'

mkdir -p -m 0755 /usr/share/man/man8

install -m 644 ndiswrapper.8 /usr/share/man/man8

[root@localhost ndiswrapper-1.2]# ls -l /lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc/

total 1640

-rw-r--r--  1 root root 1667592 Jul  1 16:50 ndiswrapper.ko

[root@localhost ndiswrapper-1.2]# whereis ndiswrapper loadndisdriver wlan_radio_averatec_5110hx

ndiswrapper: /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper /usr/share/man/man8/ndiswrapper.8

loadndisdriver: /sbin/loadndisdriver

wlan_radio_averatec_5110hx:

[root@localhost ndiswrapper-1.2]# /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -i /home/tv/BCMWL5.INF

Installing bcmwl5

cp: cannot stat `/home/tv/BCMWL5.INF': No such file or directory

[root@localhost ndiswrapper-1.2]# /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -i /home/tv/bcmwl5.inf

bcmwl5 is already installed. Use -e to remove it

[root@localhost ndiswrapper-1.2]# ndiswrapper -l

Installed ndis drivers:

bcmwl5  invalid driver!

[root@localhost ndiswrapper-1.2]#

nevermind, I figured it out. Apparently I must have typed it wrong. I removed it and then re-installed it by typing the letter 'b' and then hitting tab and typing '.inf' after it.

• 3 weeks later...

hello i have a little trouble installing my USB wlan card with ndiswrapper 1.2 I have read about others using this usb device with ndiswrapper so it should work, but it doesn't. I have completed all steps from post #1 and #3 with out errors but when i try to reactivate the network with

service network restart

i get

determining IP address for wlan0: Failed no link present. Check cable? [FAILED]

what could be the problem? All lights are on and it starts blinking when trying to get an IP (which according to the book means that it has a valid connection and is sending/receiving data) :cry:

It should. NDISWrapper uses the Windows drivers and makes them work in Linux. There may be a newer version out now than this procedure specifies. I don't have wireless, so I can't vouch.

• 3 weeks later...

uhm i cannot download a driver for version 2.0 and the driver for 4.0 doesn't have the file mentioned. anyone want to upload those 2 files needed?