Buying a New TV

What's better? LCD or Plasma. I'm looking for one that's not expensive but offers the best quality possible. And add reasons and add brands that are reliable.

What's better? LCD or Plasma. I'm looking for one that's not expensive but offers the best quality possible. And add reasons and add brands that are reliable.

585570920[/snapback]

First, what's your budget? Are you looking for High Def?

42"+ I'd say get a plasma. Smaller than that go LCD. If you're not stuck on a flat panel form factor, DLPs have great price:performance ratio. Much cheaper than plasma, but still great picture quality. There's a lot of variables though, what content are you going to be watching primarily?

I can spend around $3000 Canadian max. And I don't like Projection. Looks blurry.

I usually watch DVD movies, some TV and play a lot of games.

Sorry, but I'm not exactly looking for a cheap TV. I want to know the difference between LCD and Plasma and which is better. Sorry if I didn't made it clear.

Plasma can usually give you a brighter picture while LCD tends to be sharper and will definitely last longer. However, for your budget, you may want to look towards digital projection sets instead.

You can find a very nice Plasma EDTV for $3,000.

585573051[/snapback]

It's 3,000 Canadian though. I agree with BangBang though. I know you told me that you didn't like projection, but are you basing that perception on the latest ones out? Head to your nearest Best Buy or FutureShop and see the Sony DLPs in action. They're pretty impressive for what they cost. 3000 Canadian won't get you a decent plasma.

A good quality 100mhz CRT TV is better than a budget LCD/Plasma TV,, fact,, numourus experts from TV AV Production teams tested various screens & e cheapest 100mhz CRT screen was voted best picture. ;)

Well... if you are looking for a big screen then I personally think the newer DLP's are the best, but Sony's Grand Wega LCD's looked ten times better than the first DLP's that were made by Samsung last year when they were first emerging. Since then though I saw a Samsung DLP and it had insane clarity. You could barely even see the pixels they were so close! Amazing I say...

So ya, just look at them up close. I like the new Samsung DLP's.. but Sony has really good LCD's like the Grand Wega that have awesome picture even on a big screen because they beef up the hardware to keep the quality good. There are many companies that are doing the DLP now, used to be just Samsung, and I haven't really looked at them lately. So check them out! Just avoid RCA when getting a projection like that...

Just go to FutureShop and BestBuy and look at them and compare brightnest/clarity/screen door effect... Plasma is for smaller screens, and they don't nearly have the clarity as a projection because they have the vertical banding like a tube TV does if you look at them close. Whereas the DLP and LCD's have really close pixels without virtually any screen door.

Also keep in mind that DLP has better contrast, and you will get darker darks and lighter lights. However if you are talking smaller screens like the non projection LCD's and the Plasmas, then Plasmas don't last as long, and you will find they get dim over time... they burn out much sooner also. Not to mention the image burn effect.

But ya.. compare with your own eyes and pocketbook.