How to burn a legally obtained DMG file in windows

Hi,

Is there a way to burn a mac bootable image in a PC Burner? The image is a .DMG but I haven't found any PC Burner Software that can read this file as a disk image.

I think I have searched the whole internet but still couldn't find a way to do this.

I have tried

1. ISO Buster 1.7 : Converted DMG to bin/cue. Burnt using Nero. In Mac OS 9.2, it says Files might be corrupt. Only folder and file names are readable. The contents are not.

2. Transmac 7.0 : Burnt the bootable DMG directly to CD. In Mac OS 9.2, it says Files might be corrupt. Only folder and file names are readable. The contents are not.

3. DMG2ISO v0.2c : Unfortunately DMG2ISO generates and error during the conversion. An incomplete ISO file is created which is unusable.

I wonder what else I could try.

Cheers,

McoreD

P.S: For non-bootable DMG files all teh above methods work. Mac OS 9.2 (the one I am using at the moment) can properly read the CD.

dmg = discimage = iso

rename the dmg to *.iso and burn it.

no pc can read dmg files. but it can burn the iso which will work on ever amc afterwards.

the only i managed to burn the iso you're talking about is to use dmg2iso (dont mind the error) and burn the ISO with Transmac (all other programs are going to burn a corupted cd)

i know Transmac is supposed to burn the dmg directly but for some reasons the tiger dmg doesnt work

How big is it? Know anyone with a mac that would convert it to an iso for you?

585600433[/snapback]

That looks like my last resort. ISO is 632 MB. I will try burning the bootable DMG by renaming to *.iso. Prepared to waste my fourth CDR. :cry:

the only i managed to burn the iso you're talking about is to use dmg2iso (dont mind the error) and burn the ISO with Transmac (all other programs are going to burn a corupted cd)

i know Transmac is supposed to burn the dmg directly but for some reasons the tiger dmg doesnt work

585600444[/snapback]

Like g-n-t said, might be corrupted.

the file is probably corrupt...

585600428[/snapback]

The DMG file properly opens in ISO Buster 1.7 and doesn't give any error. Won't it give errors if the dmg file is corrupted?

That looks like my last resort. ISO is 632 MB. I will try burning the bootable DMG by renaming to *.iso. Prepared to waste my fourth CDR.  :cry:

585600448[/snapback]

well i guess you're not burning the same one i was lol but same thing should work as i was having the exact same problem

*wonders why nobody read his post* :whistle:

585600493[/snapback]

because they are two different formats, you cant just rename it. its like renaming a jpg to png. its still a jpg.

because they are two different formats, you cant just rename it. its like renaming a jpg to png. its still a jpg.

585600500[/snapback]

no they're not. in order to BURN the dmg file on a pc you can rename it to ISO in order to read it on MAC again. you can't read nor open dmg files on a pc. trsut me, easiest and simple way, always worked for me.

id go with the renaming it to ISO route, it works most of the time though most of the tiger dmg images on some sites *whistles* are corrupt

anyone wanna bet hes burning a copy of OSX to run on CherryOS? lol

585600513[/snapback]

Well you are going to lose your bet. :D

I own an iMac G3 with Mac OS 9.2.2 installed. This DMG file is an image of my Mac OS X Panther Install Disk 1 before it became unusable. :no:

Well you are going to lose your bet. :D

I own an iMac G3 with Mac OS 9.2.2 installed. This DMG file is an image of my Mac OS X Panther Install Disk 1 before it became unusable.?:no::

585600596[/snapback]

Did you do the image as a "CD/DVD master" type? If so, then you can use Nero to burn it. You'll need to set the file type (in Nero's Open dialog box) to "*.*" for Nero to find the image. You need to select HFS on the "foreign image" dialog box if it prompts you for that. It will burn the image just fine.

edit: If you didn't originally make the image as a "CD/DVD master" then you are pretty much screwed without a Mac running OS X to burn it. Other type images are compressed, and can't be burned except on a Mac.

Edited by roadwarrior

Apple doesn't sell Panther Install Disks in the form of DMGs. :huh:

585600733[/snapback]

He never said they did, what he said was:

This DMG file is an image of my Mac OS X Panther Install Disk 1 before it became unusable.

In other words, he made a backup image of the CD at some point, and later his disc became unusable (scratched, broken, whatever).

not to mention, aren't the discs given on DVD's not CD's?  maybe that's your problem?

// Lou

585600934[/snapback]

Retail Panther discs are CD's, the OEM ones that come with most Macs now are on a single DVD. Tiger will most likely only be on DVD.