Sharing An Internet Connection; Removing Router

You said your IP was now 192.168.1.101. Do you have your router assigning your computer an IP address (with DHCP)? If you're using port forwarding, you should definitely set up your PC with a static IP address (one that doesn't change) and use that as the port forwarding destination IP address.

Edit: You can find out if it is DHCP assigned by double-clicking on your network icon in your system tray, clicking the Support tab, and looking at the Address Type. If it is DHCP, it will say "Assigned by DHCP" (providing you're running Windows XP).

Edited by King Rilian

Hey King Mustard, I think I know what's going on with your router situation.

You are doing everything correctly in terms of the port forwarding. You sound like you don't understand how your router assigns IP addresses. I used to have the same problem and I got everything working now.

What happens is the following: Everytime you reboot or 'repair' or disable/enable your LAN connection to the router, your router uses DHCP to assign you a new private IP address such as 192.168.1.xxx. Remember, your IP that is seen by everyone else (the world) is the one assigned by your ISP (this is not the 192.168.1.xxx you see in IPCONFIG). So because of this, your IP keeps changing on you and your port forwarding in the setup page becomes useless. What you have to do is permanently assign an IP to the computer you are playing UT on and only use the DHCP server on your router for your wireless or other connections to the network.

To manually assign your network IP addresses, all you have to do is go and configure your TCP/IP settings. First go to your network connections screen. From there, right click on yuor LAN connection and hit properties. Then double click on the entry that says "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)". From here I can't give you exact instructions because I'm on a lab restricted computer in my school and I don't have access permissions.

Basically what you need to do is find the tab that had the option "Automatically Assign IP Address" or something similar to that. What you want to do is change that option to manually assign your IP. Your new IP should be 192.168.1.100 and your gateway should be 192.168.1.1. Do this to all of the computers attached to the router by cable (obviously you have to increment your IP addreses so make sure you put 192.168.1.101 or 102 or 103, etc. for your other computers). Once you have done all of that, go back to your router setup page and find the page that allows you to configure the router DHCP server. Once there, make sure you tell it to start assigning addresses from 192.168.1.200 or so. That way if someone jumps on your network via wireless or cable connection, it won't try to assign an address already in use and cause a conflict.

If you need a more specific process on what to click, let me know and when I get home today, I can tell you how to do it exactly. Hopefully this solves your problem!

[EDIT] King Rillian beat me to it while I was typing this up but hopefully this helps! :p [/EDIT]

You said your IP was now 192.168.1.101.  Do you have your router assigning your computer an IP address (with DHCP)?  If you're using port forwarding, you should definitely set up your PC with a static IP address (one that doesn't change) and use that as the port forwarding destination IP address.

Edit: You can find out if it is DHCP assigned by double-clicking on your network icon in your system tray, clicking the Support tab, and looking at the Address Type.  If it is DHCP, it will say "Assigned by DHCP" (providing you're running Windows XP).

585619511[/snapback]

It says Assigned by DHCP. What do I do with that information?

It says Assigned by DHCP. What do I do with that information?

585619573[/snapback]

Read my post above... ;)

Read my post above...?;))

585619588[/snapback]

Yeah, I did the stuff but I couldn't connect to the Internet. This is stressing me out:((

post-645-1110903285.gif

Yeah, I did the stuff and nothing changed. This is stressing me out :(

585619596[/snapback]

Does your lan connection still say "Assigned by DHCP" or "Manually Configured"?

If it says Mannually Configured, make sure you have changed all of the IP addresses in the port fowarding page to reflect your new IP address. Things should work after all of that. Also, make sure you have the latest firmware for your router installed. I had to upgrade one of my routers one time when I was on the verge of throwing it out the window and it solved all of my problems.

Yeah, I did the stuff but I couldn't connect to the Internet. This is stressing me out :(

585619596[/snapback]

Dude, LOOK at the IP and Gateway addresses!!!

You put 192.128.1.100!!

It's supposed to be 192.168.1.100!!!!!!! ;)

I corrected it but still couldn't connect. GRR I even changed the settings in the router settings from 100 to 101 and 1 and nothing works.

I corrected it but still couldn't connect. GRR I even changed the settings in the router settings from 100 to 101 and 1 and nothing works.

585619647[/snapback]

If nothing is working still, I have a suggestion for you. First, go to www.linksys.com and see if there is a newer firmware for your router. If there is, download it and install it. If there isn't, I suggest you completely RESET your router back to the factory defaults and start over. You may have changed something around that is causing you problems.

After you reset everything back to normal, go ahead and follow the static IP instructions I wrote earlier. Also, make sure you are forwarding the correct ports for UT to work. There should be no other reason why the router would cause your problems if you have it configured correctly.

Make sure both 128s are changed to 168. And yes, enter the same address that you put in for Default Gateway in the Preferred DNS entry. I would recommend changing your machines IP address to something like 192.168.1.201, just to make sure it's out of the router's DHCP pool. (The DHCP pool of addresses is a range of IP address that the router will assign to computers on your network when they're set to "Obtain IP Address automatically...a.k.a. through DHCP.) If you're giving it an address that's already used in the DHCP pool, there could be a duplicate IP address conflict with your laptop in the future.

I have the latest firmware (1.46.02, Aug 03 2004) and I don't want to the router because if something goes wrong and I can't access the Internet, I'm screwed.

And once again, for UT2004...turn off the speed hack!?:))

585619693[/snapback]

Wth?:|| I am not using any hacks at all.

I thought there was a reference to you using some sort of speed enhancment or something like that.  BudMan's post said it.  I guess he misread something.  Sorry.

585619732[/snapback]

I am just so lost with all of this. If I had another CAT 45e wire, I could connect the Internet straight to the network card #1 of the PC and have a CAT 45e from network card #2 to the router and laptop links also into the router then use Internet Sharing on the PC. I would need to have my PC on all the time, but that's fine.

And anyone using the laptop would slow down your PC connection AND performance, since it would have to use processing power to forward traffic.

585619763[/snapback]

Damn it :(

if you still cant get bittorrent to work change bittorrents ports to 6881-6999 with randomize checked and do the same for your router using the protocol of both when asked.

OK, later, I may write up a more detailed description of how to do this for you, just to make sure that you're doing everything properly. This is what I'll need from you to start with:

- Model number of your Linksys Router

- Firmware version number of your Linksys Router

Oh, and from what it looks like, you're the one who mentioned "speed hack." Look at the first post.

OK, later, I may write up a more detailed description of how to do this for you, just to make sure that you're doing everything properly.  This is what I'll need from you to start with:

- Model number of your Linksys Router

- Firmware version number of your Linksys Router

Oh, and from what it looks like, you're the one who mentioned "speed hack."  Look at the first post.

585619845[/snapback]

It's a BEFSR41 with the latest (AFAIK) 1.46.02, Aug 03 2004 firmware.

The Speed Hack is a message that appears within UT2004 as protection against people using such hacks. I am getting the problem and I promise I don't use hacks, so it's either the game (unlikely with the latest patch) or my connection (which is why this thread was created).

Wow, I don't even think I can count how many times BudMan has insulted you, King Mustard.  I wish people who knew more than others would understand that they were once in their shoes.  He's implied that you're stupid I don't know how many times.

585619428[/snapback]

I NEVER called him STUPID - I said fully exposing a box to the PUBLIC net is STUPID, I did NOT say he was...

I said a rule that forwards 1024-* is Stupid, and that who ever told you to do such a thing is an IDIOT... This is not calling him stupid

Stupid is as Stupid does - if you do STUPID things, guess what your going to get called on it ;)

In NO way, shape or form were my comments in any way meant as a derogatory comment to the overall intelligence of King Mustard.. You can perform a STUPID act without being stupid, ie to not RTFM and then asking why stuff just doesn't work is STUPID if you ask me! ;) Fully exposing your machine to the public net - again another Stupid Act, etc..

Spelling out what DMZ means -- seem more like an insult if you ask me.. Do you feel he does not have the intelligence to lookup an acronym on his own? ;)

With that in mind ;)

derogatory

1. Disparaging; belittling: a derogatory comment.

2. Tending to detract or diminish.

I thought you might have some trouble with that word KR ;)

edit: And your going to work up a How-To for him, you going to include pictures? What do not feel him able to work threw the already produced INFORMATION on how to forward ports, is the documentation that came with the router written at too high of a reading level for him? Who is calling who stupid?

edit2: So are you working now or what? What is your IP address -- and are you forwarding the ports to YOUR machines IP address.. 192.128 is not what your router is setup for.. So that will not work.. And even if it was - you did not setup your machine to use a DNS server - so it would never know how to find anything.

Look on your routers interface for the DHCP range that is being used, then set your machine as static outside of that range, then forward the ports you want to that IP.. or if you want EVERYTHING open (not a good idea) then put your machines IP address in the DMZ...

Let me know if your still having problems - I am more than happy to help, and again -- I was in NO WAY saying you were stupid...

Edited by BudMan

I honestly beleive that you should completely reset the router to factory defaults and start over from scratch. If you have any problems connecting to the internet after that, you could always plug directly into your modem in the mean time.

I just think you have some other issues going on that are affecting any "fix" we give you. Seriously consider resetting your router back to default and set up everything that we have all told you on this page. From setting your windows IP to the port forwarding on the router.