HDTV as PC Monitor

I've got a PC hooked up to my HDTV using an S-Video cable...I know it won't look great but....For some reason the picture from my PC is not being displayed on my Television. I know the cable and everything works fine because I hooked it up to my laptop and and hit Funtion+f4 and it popped right up on my television. Is there any kind of button combo that I need to use for a desktop to do this also???? Am I missing something?

you have to go into display properties and change the monitor to the tv out option on your card.

585682659[/snapback]

Well I just checked that out and I didn't see any place in the Display Properties to Change it to TV Out...Could you expalin to me in a little more detail where I can find it at? Or a screenshot or something...Thanks alot BangBang!

You probably need to get an update of your video card driver.. i believe the windows default one or the windows update one doesn't show the nvidia menu?

Other wise look under...

display properties... settings tab.. hit advanced button.. then pick the geforce tab and then pick.. the top one i forget the name of it.. or if that is not showing pick

tools i believe?

Thats to cofigure the display of the tv...

You probably need to get an update of your video card driver.. i believe the windows default one or the windows update one doesn't show the nvidia menu?

Other wise look under...

display properties... settings tab.. hit advanced button.. then pick the geforce tab and then pick.. the top one i forget the name of it.. or if that is not showing pick

tools i believe?

Thats to cofigure the display of the tv...

585682751[/snapback]

Ahh ok...well i'm running the Windows Update since it wasn't showing the Nvidia Menu. If that doesn't work I'll look on Nvidia's website and find one for it...I'll post the results...Thanks man!

Ok Well I installed the drivers and now I'm finally able to set the output to my TV....BUT it looks like total crap :) I'm having to set the resolution to less than 800x600 in order to read the text (I forget the exact resolution). Is there anyway I can get a better picture. Like I said before I'm just using an S-Video Cable for the connection. My video card on the computer I have connected is an Nvidia Geforce2 GTS :rofl: ...so if anyone has any suggestion on how I can get a batter pic I'd appreciate it!!! :D

Canada is cool and all .. but your beer sucks.

:D? ?  :evil:? ?&nb:D; :D? ?  :evil:? ?:Dnbsp; :D? ?  :evil::D ?  :D

123429[/snapback]

Try getting a better card. The newer ones usualy will look better.

Edit: WTF where did that quote come from!

Ok Well I installed the drivers and now I'm finally able to set the output to my TV....BUT it looks like total crap :) I'm having to set the resolution to less than 800x600 in order to read the text (I forget the exact resolution). Is there anyway I can get a better picture. Like I said before I'm just using an S-Video Cable for the connection. My video card on the computer I have connected is an Nvidia Geforce2 GTS  :rofl: ...so if anyone has any suggestion on how I can get a batter pic I'd appreciate it!!!  :D

585686135[/snapback]

Don't think you will get much better with the vid card you have. TV is no good for text. The resolution is to low for that. If you had a video card that could do HDTV out it would probely be better but the GeForce 2 is quite old now.

Does your HDTV have DVI or VGA inputs?

585686146[/snapback]

Yea it has DVI (I Think?)...There are two funny looking plugs that look similar to a monitor plug...haha...but my PC only has a standard monitor plug.

post-66484-1112037216.jpg

Don't think you will get much better with the vid card you have. TV is no good for text. The resolution is to low for that. If you had a video card that could do HDTV out it would probely be better but the GeForce 2 is quite old now.

585686183[/snapback]

Do you have any suggestion as to what Vid Card could do this? And hopefully not cost an arm and a leg or any other part :)

Yeah, that's a picture of a DVI-I single link cable. Most all new video cards have DVI outputs on them. Just check before you buy one. Also, you could just get a VGA to DVI Adapter. I have the opposite -- a DVI to VGA Adapter. I'm not totally sure if they make it the way you need it, though. Anyone else know?

Personally, if I were you, I'd just buy a new video card. You can get one that's faster than what you have for quite a decent price, considering how old yours is -- like a GeForce FX5200. It's probably the best bang for your buck -- approx. $50 on Newegg.

Ahh sweet man! Thanks alot for the link...I think I'll buy one of those this week...This will solve the crappy picture issue right?

Ahh sweet man! Thanks alot for the link...I think I'll buy one of those this week...This will solve the crappy picture issue right?

585688019[/snapback]

definitely will.

Once you get it working properly you won't go back to using a regular computer monitor ... at least I wouldn't. A friend of mine just got a Samsung 61" DLP HDTV and watching him play Half-Life 2 on it is just amazing. You actually use your peripheral vision when the monitor is that big. The downside is that when you go over cliffs in the buggy it will make you want to vomit.

Also, text is completely readable because of the 1080x720 resolution. Trust me, it's worth it. I'd rather go down slightly in resolution for a huge jump in monitor size and color and brightness for that matter (at least with DLP). I mean, the blasted thing is so bright it burns my eyes when going from a dark to a bright sceen in the game and the color is as good as any LCD monitor I've seen.